• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Octopus Energy

Has anyone put an emersion hot water heater on a timer for the overnight 4 hours slot to use instead of the gas boiler? I take it the pictured would do the job but is it cheaper?
I never thought about that but potentially a good idea

I have no gas so have my immerser on the cheap heating permanently. It only comes on for 4 hrs on the 5p rate. Costs me practically nothing on my Eddi. I also have solar so it directs any excess energy to my Eddi and my Zappi.

If you are looking to heat up the tank and won’t be drawing off hot water between the cheap rate hours then I can’t see how gas would ever be cheaper.
If we take worst case that it takes a full 4 hours to heat up to the 130 degrees F (40 degrees C).
At 5.5p per kWh that’s 5.5 x12 = 66p
My guess is it would probably take half that lime to heat that volume of water, so maybe even arround 30p.
Just make sure it’s an immersion heater rated timer that can switch 3KW plus a margin of safety.

If you are looking to heat up the tank and won’t be drawing off hot water between the cheap rate hours then I can’t see how gas would ever be cheaper.
If we take worst case that it takes a full 4 hours to heat up to the 130 degrees F (40 degrees C).
At 5.5p per kWh that’s 5.5 x12 = 66p
My guess is it would probably take half that lime to heat that volume of water, so maybe even arround 30p.
Just make sure it’s an immersion heater rated timer that can switch 3KW plus a margin of safety.
Isn't 130 degrees F 55C ?

Sadly have to say that I have come to an end with Octopus Energy Company. My power bills for the last two months have come to £560 approx. Despite my usage/meter readings showing about £130 per month.

They claim they were given a inaccurate reading for an Electric Meter installed in 2008, thus are "catching up".

Jeez, I have all my meter reading for several years before changing over from Ecotricity to Octopus, what 2008 has got to do with it G only knows.

I am back to Ecotricity, not the cheapest, but at least they get the bills right.

Octopus are either incompetent of scammers IMHO.
Hi requested a smart meter instillation from octopus when the engineer came to fit it he fitted it to my next door neighbours by mistake since then I have been trying to get another one from them that works,I’ve had two fitted and they cannot get them to work so I,m still waiting,this means I cannot get the cheap rate electric to charge my MG ZS MARCH 2020 as you need a smart meter to get it pretty good aint they at Octopus

Hi requested a smart meter instillation from octopus when the engineer came to fit it he fitted it to my next door neighbours by mistake since then I have been trying to get another one from them that works,I’ve had two fitted and they cannot get them to work so I,m still waiting,this means I cannot get the cheap rate electric to charge my MG ZS MARCH 2020 as you need a smart meter to get it pretty good aint they at Octopus
I feel your pain.

Octopus installed a smart meter at my home in November last year. Since then I have had 3 engineer visits and a replacement meter and it still hasn't connected.

My experience of their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

Offer your neighbour a referal code. At least your neighbour can move to Octopus 😎

I had my meter installed just a matter of days after requesting it, and it connected without any issue at all. The fitter upgraded the meter tails and fitted an isolation switch as part of the package.
I've found customer service to be good on the whole.

I had my meter installed just a matter of days after requesting it, and it connected without any issue at all. The fitter upgraded the meter tails and fitted an isolation switch as part of the package.
I've found customer service to be good on the whole.
I'm sure they are great when all goes well. Not so, in my experience, when things don't go so well. I've been promised call backs 4 or 5 times and no response. Not good.

Question on payment. I have been with them for 2 months now on Go Faster and they are taking half hourly readings. However, so far not had a bill.
How do you get a bill? Do you have to submit a meter reading

Question on payment. I have been with them for 2 months now on Go Faster and they are taking half hourly readings. However, so far not had a bill.
How do you get a bill? Do you have to submit a meter reading
It took about 2 months before I received my first bill, just give it a little bit longer

They are poor at billing. After a year I was paying £250 a month, presumably on catch up. I said sod it and went for another provider, and have to say they have not got their s**t together yet either......:-(

They are poor at billing. After a year I was paying £250 a month, presumably on catch up. I said sod it and went for another provider, and have to say they have not got their s**t together yet either......:-(
You waited over a year for them to bill you? I guess you weren't on a smart meter then?

forgive unless i missed something me but how can they charge you for energy used in 2008 when the company was not founded until 2015

I was with Octopus Energy for just over a year. I was billed regularly but I think the first several months must have been wrong. They realised something was wrong, but it ended up in several very high energy bills.

Yes forgive me too, one of the reasons they gave me for not billing me correctly, was that a meter reading in 2008 was incorrect. I was with British Gas then, and apparently had a new meter. You and I both don't have the foggiest idea why that should have any bearing on today's bills. As it was, I had every meter monthly reading for the last five years. (I submitted meter readings to Ecotricity).

Before my Smart Meter installation, I had submitted meter reading to Octopus. I can't see where the confusion and idiocy came in.

I have moved back to Ecotricity, and they have not even contacted me to get details etc..........God help that industry.........

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom