Octopus Go not working with Ohme

MazzyW

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi I have just switched to Octopus Go and it failed to charge my MG ZS EV during the 4 hour window (12:30am to 4:30am) at the first two attempts using my OHME charger (which has been working fine for maximum charging). I have checked all the settings and it seems to be all correct. I have the schedule set to provide me with 95% charge by 7:00am, and the chosen tariff is Octopus Go and it won't charge above 7.5 pence. Don't know what other settings to change. Anyone had the same difficulty ? What resolved it ? Cheers, Mark

I initially had issues with tariff not being shown at my address. Are you able to see the tariff information? I am on Octopus Go Faster and everything is working fine with my setup. My schedule is different though. I just charge in those 5 hours setting the target % to 100. But it wouldnt charge if the cost exceeded 8.25p in my case. I had to turn off save money option under settings. Otherwise if the cost was less than 8.25p on the grid for any 30 min time slot, it would start charging the car(at my peak rate).

Beth from Ohme support is very good. If you email the support addressed to her, she usually replies within a couple of hours. I am sure it has to be some setting on the app since max charging works for you.

Hi Mihir, I'm still not able to get this working. I've tried all sorts of different settings. Beth at Ohme suggested deleting all the schedules. That didn't work. How do you set yours to come on during the 5 hour window ? Part of the issue I have is that once it hits the time it's meant to be triggered by the off-peak tariff it just doesn't pick up the charge. How do you make sure it knows when to come on ? Any ideas would be most welcome. Starting to regret getting Ohme charger at the moment. Cheers, Mark

Hi Mihir, I'm still not able to get this working. I've tried all sorts of different settings. Beth at Ohme suggested deleting all the schedules. That didn't work. How do you set yours to come on during the 5 hour window ? Part of the issue I have is that once it hits the time it's meant to be triggered by the off-peak tariff it just doesn't pick up the charge. How do you make sure it knows when to come on ? Any ideas would be most welcome. Starting to regret getting Ohme charger at the moment. Cheers, Mark
Sure Mark. Ill send you all my settings and the details in a few mins. In the meanwhile can you confirm me the trim of your car. Is it SR/LR?

Last edited:
Is it the Ohme pro EVSE?
Screenshot_20210905-211549_Ohme.jpg

So here are my settings.
1.First thing is if there are no schedules, the charger acts as a dumb charger. When ever we plug it in, it starts charging until we stop or it reaches 100%. So an active schedule is needed.
2. Set the Save Money toggle under general setting to OFF. This is done because if the price on the grid is less than 7.5p, it starts charging but we are charged at our peak rates. Historically Ohme was meant to be working in sync with Octopus Agile where it already knew the energy prices for each 30min block for the next 24 hours and chose the cheapest block to charge. Heres my screenshot:
Screenshot_20220225-214030_Ohme.jpg

3. Create a schedule as follows:
Screenshot_20220225-214000_Ohme.jpg

4. Set the limit under the settings of the schedule. In my case its 8.25p since I am on Go Faster Tariff.
Screenshot_20220225-214012_Ohme.jpg

Now there are a few manual steps you need to do until MGZS Ev integration is not in place.

1. Everytime before you plug in the charger, check SOC in the car. And add the + SOC % you want the car to be at. Lets say your car is at 25% and you want the car to be at 70% then put 45% on your schedule.
2. If you always want it to be 100%, then put 100% as it will stop at 100% anyway irrespective of your starting SOC.
3. Once you plug in the charger, check if it starts charging. It should not until the price is 7.5p.
4. Another idea is plug in the charger with 0% SOC to be added and before you go to bed, change the SOC to be added to whatever you want. It should not begin immediately but wait until the price is 7.5p.

Here is one more screenshot of my charge history. You can see clearly my car gets charged only in my chosen timeslot.
Screenshot_20220225-214546_Ohme.jpg

Since I am on Go Faster and my 5hr slot starts at 9.30pm, its more easy for me to manage as I just step out and plug in at 9.30pm. The other suggestion is I am not sure if you are aware but you can talk to Octopus and change your 4 hr window to 9.30pm-1.30am. The reason I changed to 9.30pm is we use electricals like dishwasher after 9.30pm and these run on off peak rates.

One last point on Ohme. I always set the 'Added Range' shown in point 4 above to 0 after finishing the charging. This avoids misuse of the charger if its installed where others can access too. If anyone else even plugs in their car in your absence or when you are away etc, due to this setting the charger wouldn't even work as a dumb charger!

Hope all this helps. Let me know how you get on.

Last edited:
There is one other thing you can do. Manage the charge schedules with iSmarg app. Ohme unfortunately do not yet have a feature where we can set start times. Thats why we end up doing the setup as mentioned above. But if you want to skip Ohme totally then set up scheduled charging with iSmart app. This gives you the option of setting the start and end times. The only thing you then need to do is plug in the charger and immediately pause charging on the Ohme app. So when iSmart's scheduling kicks in, it resumes the charging and ends with iSmart's end time. I haven't personally tried it but in theory it should work.

The reason I asked if you are on SR/LR is because we cant set target SOC levels on SR on iSmart. It always sets it to 100% but LR allows custom target SOC levels. And hence I haven't tried it yet. More on this here - Setting target battery level issue

I have the Ohme home pro but it can't talk to the car (Trophy Connect). Ohme customer service asked me to provide details of the MG telematics but I didn't manage that and there is an easy work around for the Trophy. I set the Ohme up as a dumb charger (ready to charge whenever it is plugged in) and use the car charge control settings to control when and how far it charges.

I have the Ohme home pro but it can't talk to the car (Trophy Connect). Ohme customer service asked me to provide details of the MG telematics but I didn't manage that and there is an easy work around for the Trophy. I set the Ohme up as a dumb charger (ready to charge whenever it is plugged in) and use the car charge control settings to control when and how far it charges.
@thingaby : When you plug in as a dumb charger, does it not automatically start to charge? Or does the car control override the Ohme setup. If the car charge setting has start at 9.30pm, and you plug in at say 7.30pm, will it start charging? Or wait till 9.30 pm? Do you setup any schedules on Ohme? If you can let us know the setup on Ohme app, I am sure it will be very useful to everyone.

@thingaby : When you plug in as a dumb charger, does it not automatically start to charge? Or does the car control override the Ohme setup. If the car charge setting has start at 9.30pm, and you plug in at say 7.30pm, will it start charging? Or wait till 9.30 pm? Do you setup any schedules on Ohme? If you can let us know the setup on Ohme app, I am sure it will be very useful to everyone.
The car charge scheduling is in control. Although the Ohme is in a 'constant on' state it will only give charge when the car asks for it. In your example plug in at 7.30pm but it won't charge until the car's 9.30pm setting calls for the charge.
I have set my car settings are to charge between 12.30am and 4,30am up to a maximum of 80%. If the 4 hour window isn't enough to get to 80% it does what it can and then stops. If I need to get to 100% I would simply set that level on the car and lengthen the charge window.
Actually I have only charged to 100% once. In that situation I took it up to 90% on the Ohme and finished off with the granny charger supposing that the lower charge level would be more gentle in helping the battery balance. I didn't bother trying the Ohme 'be gentle on the battery' setting because I don't think the Ohme charger can talk to my car.

My Ohme app settings are Push settings ON all other settings OFF

The car charge scheduling is in control. Although the Ohme is in a 'constant on' state it will only give charge when the car asks for it. In your example plug in at 7.30pm but it won't charge until the car's 9.30pm setting calls for the charge.
I have set my car settings are to charge between 12.30am and 4,30am up to a maximum of 80%. If the 4 hour window isn't enough to get to 80% it does what it can and then stops. If I need to get to 100% I would simply set that level on the car and lengthen the charge window.
Actually I have only charged to 100% once. In that situation I took it up to 90% on the Ohme and finished off with the granny charger supposing that the lower charge level would be more gentle in helping the battery balance. I didn't bother trying the Ohme 'be gentle on the battery' setting because I don't think the Ohme charger can talk to my car.

My Ohme app settings are Push settings ON all other settings OFF
This is great @thingaby. Thanks for this. I assume you have no charging schedules on your Ohme app? I have a ZS EV SR and this does not allow us to set the battery SOC and always sets it at 100% since its on LFP batteries. But as long as it starts and ends according to the car schedule irrespective of the SOC, it works for me. I'll try this out soon.

This is great @thingaby. Thanks for this. I assume you have no charging schedules on your Ohme app? I have a ZS EV SR and this does not allow us to set the battery SOC and always sets it at 100% since its on LFP batteries. But as long as it starts and ends according to the car schedule irrespective of the SOC, it works for me. I'll try this out soon.
I don't use any charging schedules from the Ohme App.
I am really envious of you being on LFP batteries. If I had known the SR was to have LFP I would have changed my purchase decision. atb

@MazzyW : @thingaby 's solution works like a charm! Thank you @thingaby. I just tried it myself. Set scheduling in the car to charge between 9.30pm-2.30am. Deleted all schedules and set everything other than push notifications on Ohme app to OFF. Plugged in the charger at 8pm. Though it shows on, its not charging. Car infotainment screen shows charging scheduled. Double checked on the app too. It's not charging right now. Am expecting it to start at 9.30pm. Simple straight forward solution without the faff of unwanted setup on Ohme.

Thanks for all the replies on this thread.
I still can't get the charging to kick in when it hits the low tariff at 12:30am as it should. Ohme customer service say that the charger is trying to send the charge but the car won't accept it. They have someone from their technical side looking into it. Getting pretty frustrated now. The only way I can get it to start charging is by getting up in the middle of the night and unlocking and locking the car !! Can't keep doing that - or paying 30p per KWatt in the daytime !! Arggh

When are you plugging it in?

I was under then impression that some of the earlier cars only wait in a standby mode for a number of hours. Think it was 6? So if plugged in before 6.30pm it wouldn't charge at 12.30. I know some charge points send a keep alive pulse to mitigate these timeouts.

Sorry to necro a thread, but I haven't yet managed to get a successful timed charge (collected Wednesday bit it was fully charged), so hoping it works tonight I've followed the setup instructions above but do I need to press start charging in ismart or leave it as it is? (ZS SR model)
I'm assuming the former.

Last edited:
Is it an Ohme or Pro you have got?
Can you screen shot your settings?
Are you using the car or Ohme app to set a timer.
Have you setup your Octopus tariff in the Ohme app and got it to only charge at a certain price?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom