Odd charging issue

supermegamonkee

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Evening, kind of pushed my luck tonight... well sort of! Left home at about 50% and did a 90 mile round trip - got down to about 9% when I got to the Gridserve on the services. Not a drop of volts left it, just said "connected, not charging" in the car. The rapid unit said something about "waiting for available power to start" gave up after a few tries and headed home. Thankfully we aren't that far away and got home with 7% 19 miles remaining. Plug in to the home charger and nothing... unplugged, plugged back in and locked the car, thankfully it started to charge. Im sure its started to charge at home when its been unlocked??

Last edited:
When you first connected it at home did the type 2 cable lock in? I like you thought it charged while unlocked. I don't know if mine does as it chargers at 0030 and is locked but it does lock the lead in before i lock the car.

I cant be too sure I thought had, I've had the car a week and its the first weirdness I have had with it. Normally you hear the relay click in the charger unit on the wall and all is good. Will keep an eye on it.

'Waiting for available power' suggests that the charger was already charging a different EV on another head - they need a software update before they can do two at once.

The home charging is just a bit quirky. Sometimes it will start right away, other times it needs a minute. Sometimes that can confuse the charger and it might error out. Locking is a pretty sure-fire way of making it start.

Hi, was a single charger, only us were plugged in. I have let Gridserve know, will be interesting if I hear anything back from them.
Thanks for the info on the home charger, will see how it goes next time I try it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom