• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Off Grid? Can you beat the bills? Our Solar & Battery Install.

Lovemyev

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Anybody who maybe considering solar / battery storage may find this video from Ian Sampson very interesting and really worth a watch.
I have been a sub to Ian's channel right from the very start and he produces some great EV content.
In the video he briefly runs through his history of EV ownership and his family have now covered collectively, about 300,000 EV miles !.
If you own a Leaf / Zoe or even a Nissan en200 ( people carrier ) then his channel is worth a watch.

How much are you paying per kwh that the battery can deliver over it's lifetime?

In my part of the world this figure is 3-4x the cost of buying power from the grid

I have 4.5kWh solar panels & 10kWh battery fitted. My summer electric bill is around £8 a month plus standard charge, in winter its around £42 as I charge the battery every night on the cheap 8.5p per kW, which runs the house electric all day/night. In the summer I charge my MG4 free most of the month, but do charge for long distance at the night rate. I would highly recommend solar & battery I have saved £100’s if not £1000’s since the increase in electric cost. I now estimate my cost of fitting will take only 6 years to pay back

I have 4.5kWh solar panels & 10kWh battery fitted. My summer electric bill is around £8 a month plus standard charge, in winter its around £42 as I charge the battery every night on the cheap 8.5p per kW, which runs the house electric all day/night. In the summer I charge my MG4 free most of the month, but do charge for long distance at the night rate. I would highly recommend solar & battery I have saved £100’s if not £1000’s since the increase in electric cost. I now estimate my cost of fitting will take only 6 years to pay back
Hi
Can you send me the full set-up breakdown and an estimate of installation please?
Paul

Anybody who maybe considering solar / battery storage may find this video from Ian Sampson very interesting and really worth a watch.
I have been a sub to Ian's channel right from the very start and he produces some great EV content.
In the video he briefly runs through his history of EV ownership and his family have now covered collectively, about 300,000 EV miles !.
If you own a Leaf / Zoe or even a Nissan en200 ( people carrier ) then his channel is worth a watch.

Hi
Can you please send me the full set-up and an estimation of installation cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi
Can you please send me the full set-up and an estimation of installation cost.
Sorry, this is NOT my install.
You will need to head over to Ian’s YouTube channel for all of the info that you are likely to need.
He has uploaded about five videos on his journey.
I will include the link below.

Had a 3Kw solar system fitted in 2014 so got the old FIT payments, (not the mega payments of early adopters) and it's already paid for itself. I also got a 4.8 kWh battery fitted in Oct 2019 which I've upgraded to 9.6 kWh. I'm on the GO tariff so Charge during the off peak time which shift the vast majority of our electricity usage from the peak period. I also charge the car at cheap rate time too.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom