Off peak charging cost

Mick Evans

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
So I have tried for 3 days trying to speak to British Gas no joy.
Does anyone know if BG do off peak electric? (Can't find anything on my bills)

If not who does the best off peak electric and do I need a smart meter.

Thanks in advance
Mick.

If you haven't got a smart meter ask your current supplier to fit one asap then when you switch you are ready to go onto a smart tariff like Octopus Go. You may have to phone Octopus to get signed up.

Yes to smart meter but as others have said here and in other threads. Blindly searching for lowest night tariff can get you into a very expensive day rate. Do the sums carefully just how much a week will you use during off peak (octopus 0030-0430) for your mileage or using the A rated washing machine over night?

So I have tried for 3 days trying to speak to British Gas no joy.
Does anyone know if BG do off peak electric? (Can't find anything on my bills)

If not who does the best off peak electric and do I need a smart meter.

Thanks in advance
Mick.
Hi Mick - It appears to be a common factor at the moment with many providers.
I have been a customer with EDF Energy for a while now and a good customer in the past.
My fixed EV tariff ended about four weeks ago.
Therefore they have placed me on a standard variable tariff of THEIR choice.
If I go onto my on-line account, it absolutely refuses to offer me ANY other tariff's !.
I have contacted EDF TWICE and have asked them for a call back from their dedicated EV team.
This has resulted in no contact from anybody at all !.
When I contact them ( on hold for ages ) when I get to speak to somebody, they just keep telling me that I am their best available tariff at this moment in time and that's your lot !.
It's harder than pulling teeth at the moment.

Last edited:
Yes to smart meter but as others have said here and in other threads. Blindly searching for lowest night tariff can get you into a very expensive day rate. Do the sums carefully just how much a week will you use during off peak (octopus 0030-0430) for your mileage or using the A rated washing machine over night?
When I signed up to BG they said I could have a smart meter. Still waiting for it to arrive after 2 years. Trying to speak to them is impossible

With the way things currently are, the variable rate, capped at the mandated price cap, is lower than any deal they can offer. As a result most suppliers won't enter a conversation because no customer in their right mind is going to sign up and fix at a higher price. I think you'll find getting onto a fixed price tarrif offering off peak pricing, will as a whole cost you more.

Definitely 100% sign yourself up for a smart meter though. When the cap increases and some wholesale prices start to drop, they'll start doing some deals again, but you'll need a smart meter to access them.

I am with Bulb I had smart meters installed in August but they wouldn't connect to the network! They have only recently after months of chasing been able to receive smart meter readings so should be able to move to their EV tariff which they tell me is 6.8290 p/kwh off peak (2am till 6am) and 22.5p /kwh peak rate standing charge 25.269 per day Hopefully my smart meter will send up to date readings which will allow me to change tariffs. Not sure whether or how much the widely feared price hike will change these though.

I am with Bulb I had smart meters installed in August but they wouldn't connect to the network! They have only recently after months of chasing been able to receive smart meter readings so should be able to move to their EV tariff which they tell me is 6.8290 p/kwh off peak (2am till 6am) and 22.5p /kwh peak rate standing charge 25.269 per day Hopefully my smart meter will send up to date readings which will allow me to change tariffs. Not sure whether or how much the widely feared price hike will change these though.
I thought that "Bulb" had gone to the wall.
You will have switched supplier I guess ?.

When I had reminders about my deal ending my current supplier only offered 2 year contracts at about £100 pcm. According to my usage from last year I should pay on average £75 on SVR but only until the price cap is adjusted.

Without the Ukrainian crisis there would be a reasonable chance that gas prices will fall slightly, if it kicks off god know what the price will go to.

This has just reminded me, 1st day on SVR, I had better read the meter.

I'm still with Bulb, on their EV tariff. They did go to the wall, but I believe, due to their size, no other supplier was prepared to take on us customers...I believe the liquidators are still running it. I've noticed no difference....6.2p per kwh between 0200 and 0600. 24.1p for the other 20 hours.

AIUI tariffs will go up significantly in April when the current cap is reviewed so a fixed rate might not turn out to be as bad a thing as it seems right now.

OTOH who knows?

Hi Mick - It appears to be a common factor at the moment with many providers.
I have been a customer with EDF Energy for a while now and a customers in the past.
My fixed EV tariff ended about four weeks ago.
Therefore they have placed me on a standard variable tariff of THEIR choice.
If I go onto my on-line account, it absolutely refuses to offer me ANY other tariff's !.
I have contacted EDF TWICE and have asked them for a call back from their dedicated EV team.
This has resulted in no contact from anybody at all !.
When I contact them ( on hold for ages ) when I get to speak to somebody, they just keep telling me that I am their best available tariff at this moment in time and that's your lot !.
It's harder than pulling teeth at the moment.
Did you try to sign up for EV tariff online? I'm also EDF and I moved from standard payg to EV tariff. Signed up online then they got in touch in meanwhile, the whole thing took around 2 weeks, but i got there in the end.

AIUI tariffs will go up significantly in April when the current cap is reviewed so a fixed rate might not turn out to be as bad a thing as it seems right now.

OTOH who knows?
It like the old game of :-
“Pick a number between one and ten, double it ……….. you know how the rest goes ! 🤣.
We are buying in 50% of our gas requirements for the U.K. at the moment.
We are being charged anything these people want to charge us !.
Far to reliant on gas imports.
This is not news !.
We have been doing this for donkeys years and nobody has seen this coming ?.
They are utter fools !.

Did you try to sign up for EV tariff online? I'm also EDF and I moved from standard payg to EV tariff. Signed up online then they got in touch in meanwhile, the whole thing took around 2 weeks, but i got there in the end.
My on-line account will not allow me any other alternative tariffs - period !.
Speaking to them is a complete waste of time.

My on-line account will not allow me any other alternative tariffs - period !.
Speaking to them is a complete waste of time.
I didn't go through my account (it wouldn't allow me too), i just signed up through edf website

Bulb are in special administration but no difference seen, been waiting for my smart meter to join the network as i couldn't take advantage of the ev tariff until they could see readings. I am waiting to be transferred. My charger is an old Dumb one so I cannot time the charge but I've tried with my granny lead on a domestic timer and it works really fine no heat at plug or wall so maybe a cost effective alternative

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom