Ohme home pro charger & Pre FL MG5

I have ohme home charger and new mg5.
Mg5 2023 is on the ohme list but I usually use the mgismart app as I set the charge to 80%. Ohme can be set to increase by a percentage but doesn't know current charge so you have to work it out.
I have set up ohme charge routines so it does keep a record of all charge details.
Works well

Mg5 2023 is on the ohme list but I usually use the mgismart app as I set the charge to 80%. Ohme can be set to increase by a percentage but doesn't know current charge so you have to work it out.
I have set up ohme charge routines so it does keep a record of all charge details.
Works well
Hi, if you set the Ohme to add say 80% and you are at 40% and have the car set at 80%, once the car stops charging the next 30 minute slot if outside of 2330-0530 will be at peak rate.

Not familiar with Ohme but level 2 EVCS do not ‘know’ the actual charge level of the car. Selecting a model from a list will probably just set the parameters (max battery capacity/charge efficiency) used for calculations.

The SW can then measure charge in and stop at a certain % difference but as Donal correctly points out the starting value is unknown.

For FL MG5s you can set a charge limit (but don’t activate a charge schedule) once it’s reached there will be no further increases even if Ohme isn’t done yet.

From my experience a LR FL MG5 model charges at about 10% per hour on domestic 7kWh single phase AC.

In other words the 6 hours @ cheapest rate will add 60% charge to the battery, if you keep within the recommended limits (30-80%) then you should never be charged premium rates.

If your worried about premature CCU (combined charge unit) failures you could reduce the AC current with the downside of also reducing hourly charge rate and efficiency.

Mickey

The Ohme will not override any charge limit e.g. 80% set by the car.
So set Ohme to max overdrive uncontrolled charging, plug in when you want car charging and Octopus will control the timing, the Ohme will do the charging and the car will do the limiting.

SImples :D

The Ohme will not override any charge limit e.g. 80% set by the car.
So set Ohme to max overdrive uncontrolled charging, plug in when you want car charging and Octopus will control the timing, the Ohme will do the charging and the car will do the limiting.

SImples :D
Thought this wasn’t possible on pre FL

Thought this wasn’t possible on pre FL
You can't set any charging parameter on the preFL, it's a dumb car. No disrespect intended, I've got one and am very happy with it! The only control you have is whether or not you plug it in, anything else needs to be done by the EVSE, app or otherwise

You can't set any charging parameter on the preFL, it's a dumb car. No disrespect intended, I've got one and am very happy with it! The only control you have is whether or not you plug it in, anything else needs to be done by the EVSE, app or otherwise
yeah exactly as I thought. I pick mine up on Monday 😄
Also Ohme recommends to control all charging from their app anyway so having a “dumb” car is fine by me ! Excited!

I have a 2021 MG5 and an Ohme Pro charger - am with Octopus (Loyal Octopus 12M Fixed). The charger will not recognise the cheap night rate and begins charging the car as soon as it is connected so is useless if you need to charge the car on overnight cheap rate despite having set the charge schedule; it seems to ignore the app instructions completely. Have been in touch with Ohme Pro but they don't seem to have an answer - all very frustrating. If anyone out there can tell me where I'm going wrong that would be helpful.

I have a 2021 MG5 and an Ohme Pro charger - am with Octopus (Loyal Octopus 12M Fixed). The charger will not recognise the cheap night rate and begins charging the car as soon as it is connected so is useless if you need to charge the car on overnight cheap rate despite having set the charge schedule; it seems to ignore the app instructions completely. Have been in touch with Ohme Pro but they don't seem to have an answer - all very frustrating. If anyone out there can tell me where I'm going wrong that would be helpful.
Are you trying to switch to Go or Intelligent Octopus Go?

The Ohme app has the Price Cap setting. Enabling that means it will only charge during the cheap rate hours.

Not relevant here, but you shouldn't enable that option on IOG.

Last edited:
As a very, very rough rule for the PFL LR 10% = 6KW (57KW usable battery, but some charging losses.etc).

That's what I usually work to when I'm setting a charge limit in HASS for my EO charger.

Ohme Home Pro here, MG4 but I use it 'dumb'.
I'm on EON NEXT Drive which is off peak 0:00-07:00, I enter this tariff into the Ohme app and also check the 'Price Cap' box that says 'Never charge over x pence per kWh' and just plug the car in whenever I'm home and forget about it, that way it always charges from midnight until the car is full.
I am on a lease though so I don't care if it charges over 80% and affects battery life at all.

Hi all!

Incoming NEWBIE question. Never owned EV before.

I’m about to pull the trigger on a Pre facelift mg5. I’ve had a quote from octopus energy to have the ohme charger fitted and to move onto their 7.5p per kWh night tariff.

Has anyone here had any experience with the above charger / provider with a PRE Facelift mg5?

Simply I want to get home from work at 6pm, plug my car in and then it automatically starts charging at 23:30 and stops at 05:30 at around 80% charge. Is this possible with the Pre FL & ohme home pro charger?????

I’ve read online that the charger won’t know how much battery is charged on the pre facelift cause there is no ‘API’ ?? with the pre facelift. Does this mean it will just keep on charging up to 100% / when I take the plug out???

I’ve also read you need to tell the charger every time you plug in how much battery is in the car already and then work out what to tell the charger to go to to get you to 80% SOC. does this need to be done every single time I go to charge?

Will I have to go out to my car at 23:30 every night to plug in?

So many questions lol. Any help appreciated. Basically I want to plug in and forget about it until I wake up for work in the morning. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance,
So much to learn!!
I have an Ohme Pro and pre FL MG5, using Ovo charge anytime tariff.
You can set the percentage to add using the Ohme itself or the app provided and it works fine.
You just have to calculate the percentage to add yourself instead of the tech doing it for you.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom