Ohme home pro/ intelligent go set up?

thewanderingturnip

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE LR
Afternoon all!
Quick one hopefully!
I've just had my home home pro fitted (finally) and I've come to set up the scheduled charge etc on the app. I've set the charge to finish at 80% by 5:30 (for when the off peak tariff ends) but it's charging now when I turn the schedule on, is this correct? I thought when you were on intelligent go they automatically start the charge at off peak times?
I know this is a simple matter probably, but we've just had a new baby and I'm currently running on about 2 hours sleep and a pack of maltesers and my brain just isn't firing!

You can set the price cap in the Ohme app so that it only charges at the cheap rate
Yea I'd seen that, but octopus say on their website to leave it off. There's also another option not to charge over 7.5p/kWh which I've currently left off as well, I assume it's basically the same thing?
I wondered if it was just doing some sort of test charge or something, it's stopped now but telling me it won't reach 80% by 5:30.

Just to clear, you set the Ohme to the amount of charge you want to ADD, not what level you want to achieve. So if the car currently has 50% and you want to get to 80%: set the car to stop at 80% and set the Ohme to add 35% (add a bit on for losses and any balancing that may happen after the main charge finishes), and what time you need the charge to complete by.

If you do that, and you completed the test charge, then just plug in and Octopus will set the charge period. This may or may not start outside the core cheap rate hours. Whenever it runs you get the cheap rate 7.5p. If you plug in in the afternoon (and it's windy) you will often get a period of cheap rate before the evening peak starts.

As per Octopus DO NOT enable the price cap option. Let Octopus control everything.

Yea I'd seen that, but octopus say on their website to leave it off. There's also another option not to charge over 7.5p/kWh which I've currently left off as well, I assume it's basically the same thing?
I wondered if it was just doing some sort of test charge or something, it's stopped now but telling me it won't reach 80% by 5:30.
Can you add a screen shot of your settings and charge graph.

This is my experience.

I have a SE SR so I always charge to 100% if I can.
If you are already on Intelligent Go and you plug the car in and it charges straight away or before 23:30 DO NOT WORRY. This is what Intelligent is all about. They will charge you when they want to balance the grid and will charge YOU at the CHEAP rate no matter when it is.

So the idea is you plug it in anytime you want and they take care of it.

Now, I also have home batteries. So if I plug in the car it usually wants to start charging at 23:00. But my Batteries would supply the charge which is not what I want. I usually then go into "Change Target" screen There you will see "Don't charge above 7.5 p/kwh". If I turn this on The charger only works between 23:30 and 05:30 (when my batteries are told to charge only)

I know this is not what you were asking but might help you and others. In the mean time this should help you directly...I hope

I've set the charge to finish at 80% by 5:30 (for when the off peak tariff ends) but it's charging now when I turn the schedule on, is this correct? I thought when you were on intelligent go they automatically start the charge at off peak times?
You don’t need to set it to end at 5:30 when the overnight tariff ends. Set it to end when you actually need the car. Octopus recommend something between 7 and 11 in the morning I think. They will sort out the charge schedule depending on electricity demands in your area - that’s what the intelligent is all about. Whatever goes to the car will be at the cheap rate whenever they decide it is best to charge the car. As a bonus, your whole house gets the cheap rate whenever the car is charging even if they make the car charge outside the usual 11:30 to 5:30 (which is always cheap rate). So, if you set the finish time to be when you leave (say 8am) you stand a better chance of them giving you an extra few low rate slots in the morning, if there is surplus electricity going. But, note if you elect to force charge the car or set a schedule outside their and Ohme instructions you will be charging at the full rate.

Just to clear, you set the Ohme to the amount of charge you want to ADD, not what level you want to achieve. So if the car currently has 50% and you want to get to 80%: set the car to stop at 80% and set the Ohme to add 35% (add a bit on for losses and any balancing that may happen after the main charge finishes), and what time you need the charge to complete by.

If you do that, and you completed the test charge, then just plug in and Octopus will set the charge period. This may or may not start outside the core cheap rate hours. Whenever it runs you get the cheap rate 7.5p. If you plug in in the afternoon (and it's windy) you will often get a period of cheap rate before the evening peak starts.

As per Octopus DO NOT enable the price cap option. Let Octopus control everything.
Appreciate the reply.
I get it now, thank you. It just seems a bit counter intuitive setting the amount to top up not the total for me, but I get why.
I do about a 30 mile commute every day so would I be better replacing that each night or just doing a bigger charge every few days. Not sure which is better for the battery?

I'd top it up to 80% when it gets down to 30% and do a 100% balance charge at the beginning of each month.
30% gives you a couple of days commuting (depending on the weather) if for some reason you forget to put the car on charge.

Appreciate the reply.
I get it now, thank you. It just seems a bit counter intuitive setting the amount to top up not the total for me, but I get why.
Ohme intended the set percentage to be the end target - and it is with most makes. However unlike other manufacturers, MG do not allow third parties to access the cars API, so the charger cannot read the current state of charge from the car and use that to calculate the kWh to add by itself. You have to do that bit of maths for it.

All smart charging is at the cheap rate.

You do not have to restrict yourself to over night charging. They just suggest you have the schedule end in the morning and tell you not to turn on the price cap. If you plug it in and Octopus schedule a charge outside of the cheap rate time period it and the whole house will get cheap rate when the car is charging.

The only time you will get charged is if you override the schedule with the Max charge function. There is a fair use clause in the t&c’s where if you take the piss and rig your schedules to get excessive cheap slots they can charge you full rate but in nearly 2 years on IO I’ve never been charged peak rate when the Ohme scheduled a charge outside the cheap rate. A few months back it was starting immediately every time and was always cheap. Had a few last month where I set the target for the evening as I was going out and on the bill, every time you could it was cheap rate.

For some reason most people and including myself miss the this when they first get IO.

Good evening everyone,
Apologies for jumping on on this, but I've been reading this thread with great interest, so would like to ask a few questions!!!!

1) Generally speaking, are folk happy with Inelligent Octopus? - does it work OK?? I left Ovo to join Octopus Intelligent to find that I'm signing my life away to a Beta that may not work.

2) I've been live on Octopus since last Tuesday.... been advised to wait anything up to fourteen days before switching to Oct.Int. is that what folk here end up doing?

3) I'm getting my usage for gas and electricity after midday the following day on my Android Oct. App.. Is this normal? I'm assuming that my smart meters are sending out 30-minute info to Octopus, but I don't see the data until the day after.

My equipment: Ovo smart meters, Ohme Home Pro wall charger and my MG4 Long Range Trophy.

Thanks for reading all this.....

Good evening everyone,
Apologies for jumping on on this, but I've been reading this thread with great interest, so would like to ask a few questions!!!!

1) Generally speaking, are folk happy with Inelligent Octopus? - does it work OK?? I left Ovo to join Octopus Intelligent to find that I'm signing my life away to a Beta that may not work.

2) I've been live on Octopus since last Tuesday.... been advised to wait anything up to fourteen days before switching to Oct.Int. is that what folk here end up doing?

3) I'm getting my usage for gas and electricity after midday the following day on my Android Oct. App.. Is this normal? I'm assuming that my smart meters are sending out 30-minute info to Octopus, but I don't see the data until the day after.

My equipment: Ovo smart meters, Ohme Home Pro wall charger and my MG4 Long Range Trophy.

Thanks for reading all this.....
Have you watched Garmor's link just above your post? It tells you pretty much what you need to know - except that you don't pronounce 'Ohme' as 'Homey' :rolleyes:

In answer to your 1)... yes, I'm very happy, just £4 or £5 for a full tank! Plus, I can run the dishwasher at the cheap rate at the same time... it's a Beta app (though works very well) not a life contract.
2) Sorry, don't remember!
3) I'm happy with getting the data the next morning when I wake up.

Have you watched Garmor's link just above your post? It tells you pretty much what you need to know - except that you don't pronounce 'Ohme' as 'Homey' :rolleyes:

In answer to your 1)... yes, I'm very happy, just £4 or £5 for a full tank! Plus, I can run the dishwasher at the cheap rate at the same time... it's a Beta app (though works very well) not a life contract.
2) Sorry, don't remember!
3) I'm happy with getting the data the next morning when I wake up.
Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.
I have watched the video; and I bit the bullet and followed the procedure literally finishing five minds or so ago....
Haven't yet tried a charge, but that's forthcoming. Everything is set up as described within the Ohme app including tariff settings.
Only thing I'm not seeing yet is the tariff within the Oct. App. Its still showing Flexible Octopus..... does that update to Intelligent Octopus? Just wondering if the cheap rate electricity will kick in tonight......
Thanks again!

Last edited:
I'm very happy with IOG too. Never had an issue with it (other than me forgetting to set the 80% limit on the car!). Does what it says every time I plug in.

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.
I have watched the video; and I bit the bullet and followed the procedure literally finishing five minds so it so....
Haven't yet tried a charge, but that's forthcoming. Everything is set up as described within the Ohme app including tariff settings.
Only thing I'm not seeing yet is the tariff within the Oct. App. Its still showing Flexible Octopus..... does that update to Intelligent Octopus? Just wondering if the cheap rate electricity will kick in tonight......
Thanks again!
It took a while to kick in for me, maybe a week or two...

The thing that took me quite a while to get my head around was that you don't set, in the app, the State of Charge you want to end up with... you set the percentage that will achieve the SOC given your current SOC. So, if your battery is at 30%, and you want to end up at 80%, you set the app to give you 50% charge, if your battery is at 50%, you'd call for 30% (don't think the maths quite add up...lol). If you're at home during the day, plug the car in, and the app will work out a Charging Schedule, which may see you charging at Peak times, but at Off-Peak rates (I've no idea how they work this out... that's why it's called Intelligent)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back