OHME

ChrisT

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I know this has been discussed but just a quick question:

Have people had success with the OHME charging timer working with the MG ZS EV.

Thinking of getting the black box to plug into our pod point home charger but worried the charging timer may not wake car to charge

my ZS starts charging as soon as I plug it in and have set it for an 85% charge which it does then stops, but I'm with a flat rate EDF tariff as I'm a low user for my EV, 2800 miles in 10 months, but a high user domestic during the peak times

I'm with EDF on an EV tariff. I have an Ohme wall box. Works brilliant on the timed charge it knows when on and off peak times are so I just plug it in and it works out when to start the charging based on how much I want to charge the car up to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an Ohme type 2-type 2 cable and use it for timed charging with Octopus Go Faster (so 5.5p between 1:30-6:30). When I plug the charger in it initially starts charging as it powers up and connects to Ohme to look at the last charge setting, once it gets this it shuts off. I generally use this time to have a look at my State of a charge and than adapt the charge schedule to add x % to take the car to the level I need for the next day. In the Ohme settings I have it set to my tariff and it will only charge when the cost of electricity is 5.5p or below.

However on Christmas Day I overrode this and did a max charge between 8-12pm as Octopus were doing a free electricity promotion.

Ive been very happy with it and it’s just as flexible as integrated, in car charging that I had on previous EVs.

Does the fixed Ohme charge point App tell you the ZS's state of charge i.e. battery percentage?

Does the commando cable App do this too?

Last edited:
I have an MG5 but they are the same. The car largely doesn't tell the Ohme anything, so you have to check what charge the car has and then add a fixed % to bring it up to the charge you want. So if for example you are starting at 30%, you would add 50% if you wanted to charge it to 80%. The charger then works out when to do it.

Podpoint did not recommend i used an Ohme with my home charger. I guess that this could just be about competition. If anything goes wrong you do have three areas to look at though podpoint the car and Ohme.

Does the fixed Ohme charge point App tell you the ZS's state of charge i.e. battery percentage?

Does the commando cable App do this too?
The only way I have been able to get the SOC in % is via the MFD on the dash that too for a few seconds.
I have an OHME charge cable as I have a dumb rolec charger.
I have contacted Ohme to see if there is a way but unfortunately mg does not allow the onboard computer to fully relate the SOC to the charger.
Rapid charging is different as the charger connects directly to the battery (via BMS perhaps)
Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom