Old Cars

Oh yes - I remember it very well !.
The old gear change was like a total bucket of snot :ROFLMAO: .
When the engine stabilizer bushes where worn, the gear stick would almost disappear through the floor, as you changed from first to second gear !.
The first gear was a total crash gear with no synchromesh at all, so you would have to crash it into gear, if the car was still moving, as you pulled up to the traffic lights.
As a result of this, the first gear would become badly worn and very noisy.
The car would make a hell of a knocking noise through the transmission while pulling away, then it would make a loud "Bang" as it jumped out of gear !.
All these metal filings would be then sucked up via the oil pump and then the crap was sent via the oil pump and then on to the crankshaft bearings.
The oil pressure was affected and the crankshaft would rattle it's brains out.
End result, car require a new engine and a new gearbox of course.
I have lost count of how many of these I have pulled out in my younger days !.
The early Mini's had a stater solenoid button, that was located next to the gear.
It was activated by pressing down on the rubber button and it would then activate the starter motor.
They did have a cabin heater, but they where crap !.
The windscreen wipers did a good job of cleaning the glass AND the scuttle panel and would over shoot the sides of the windscreen, because there was that much free play in the wiper mechanism.
Arahhhh .... Great times, happy days ( I think ).
Very basic, but basically sh*te :ROFLMAO:.
Luxury !
We garaged ours in a cardboard box and harnessed it to the dog as a range extender.

I look at cars today and they are in good condition, straight, immaculate paintwork etc.

Then I notice the registration and realise they are 10-15 years old and more. That used to be the definition of only fit for the scrappie.

Chokes and starting handles - it was a different world with a language all its own. We really must have a starting handle museum before anyone thinks this is just a wind up. 🙄
My Hillman / Sunbeam imps all had starting handles with the “keyhole” in the back crossmember that supported the rear engine mount.

How about this for my first car? No heater, no radio. 6 volt battery, starting handle essential!

Attachments

• 1. Morris 8 Tourer.jpg
    1. Morris 8 Tourer.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 48
How about this for my first car? No heater, no radio. 6 volt battery, starting handle essential!
Fantastic- love it - must be reaching near the original first car among members 🤩
Is there any new drivers out there lucky enough to be having an MG ZS/5/or4 as a first car I wonder ??

My second car was an end-of-life MG, can't recall the model name and it wasn't sporty looking. It looked like the Austin 1100. might even have been called an MG 1100. I'd previously had an Austin 1100 but the MG had twin carbs and was quicker. Nothing like my current MG though :)

I've no idea why I bought it but I remember parking it outside my parents house, where there was a modest camber, and the next morning, due to the driver door not closing properly, both footwells were full of the overnight rain. The floor eventually (and literally) fell out due to rust and it was scrapped.

That would have been about 1975 I reckon. That's one of the few cars for which I can't recall the registration.

My father started in the motor trade in 1960 and used to tell us that they would send E Type Jaguars through the auctions in the late 60's early 70's for about £100 each.

He also came home one weekend with a Bristol convertible. We only got to the end of the road before me and my brother were feeling car sick because of the sloppy suspension. Must be one of the shortest car journeys in a classic car ever 🤣

It looked like the Austin 1100. might even have been called an MG 1100.
Araaahhhh ….. But I remember them well.
Worked on a number of those a long time ago.
They did a MG1100 and then they upgraded it to the MG1300 if I remember correctly.
A tuned motor with a stage 2 head and cam and a three branch exhaust manifold, with a pair of inch and quarter SU carbs.
The 1275cc unit could be opened up to 1340cc safely.
Wow ….. We are going back a bit now !.
But that 998 to 1275cc A series engine was also used in the Mini Cooper and Cooper S model.
I had a 1966 model back in the day.
Wish I had it now !.
They used the standard untuned 1275cc engine in the Mini Clubman 1275 GT.
Not as quick !.

Last edited:
So glad I wasn't dreaming again... LOL

A few months back, when we still had National Trust membership, the missus instructed me to take us to Nuffield Place, former home of Lord Nuffield. Quite interesting, as those places go.

It wasn't till the gift shop at the end that I connected the MG with Lord Nuffield. In my surprise I said something to the guy running the gift shop, expecting a tirade of venom against the Chinese takeover of the marque.

He actually said he'd worked on an MG5. When I got back to the car park I thought they should have a special bay for us MG owners LOL

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom