iuteri

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
On the German MG website, in the configurator, "One Pedal Drive" appears as standard in all 3 trims.
What do you think about that?

mg.JPG

Last edited:
I think so. I had no option but to embrace it with my previous i3 as strong regen and one pedal was what you got - no way of adjusting it! So I now kind of miss it.

You could switch one pedal off though?
I’ve driven the i3 a few times, I’m sure the last time I drove one it wasn’t in that mode.

This is the one big criticism I have of the MG4 - far too light regen (even on so-called "strong" setting). I would LOVE to have one-pedal driving. As has been said above, even those who were initially sceptical grow to prefer it over time. It does require some adjustment from ICE driving, and some of us have decades of driving technique to un-program! But it's really worth it in the long run, as it gives the most efficient and effortless driving style (and only EVs can do it :))

Bit of a novice question as I have never driven a true one pedal car. Does it mean that if you're driving at 70 and you pull your foot off the pedal completely it's essentially the equivalent of an emergency stop?

No, not really. It's like an ICE car with very strong engine braking, but more progressive. You develop a light foot, so you progressively lift your foot to slow down in the same way you would gently press to gradually speed up. Any car can be jerky if you drive it that way.

Last edited:
"One Pedal Driving" is simply a software mode affecting the way regen is applied in the car. It actually doesn't specifically require strong regen, but usually the regen it stronger if "one pedal mode" is an option. The difference is this: with the MG4, if you take your foot completely off the accellerator, the car will gradually (too gradually IMHO) slow to a crawl, but stay crawling (like an ICE car in first gear with your foot off). One Pedal Mode would bring the car to a full stop (like gently braking in an ICE car once you're at crawl -only without stalling the engine :)).

You could switch one pedal off though?
I’ve driven the i3 a few times, I’m sure the last time I drove one it wasn’t in that mode.
You couldn't turn it off in mine. It was an early one (2014) so I don't know if they added options later. At least, I never found any way of altering the regen level or turning one pedal off! Maybe I missed something!

You couldn't turn it off in mine. It was an early one (2014) so I don't know if they added options later. At least, I never found any way of altering the regen level or turning one pedal off! Maybe I missed something!
I had the same in a 15 plate. I came from an SV650 vtwin motorbike which had some nice engine braking too so I loved the decent regen on the i3.

I’m still holding out hope the xpower will have a higher regen option (or that they all get it ideally)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 526 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back