One pedal driving will always divide opinion. I love using it. Once you get used to it you really enjoy the freedom of not having to feather the brake to come to a complete stop. It’s surprising just how easier it makes driving in traffic. A lot of cars have this functionality when using an auto pilot function, but not when just using the car normally. I don’t understand why this is, because the mapping is already in place.

One pedal driving will always divide opinion. I love using it. Once you get used to it you really enjoy the freedom of not having to feather the brake to come to a complete stop. It’s surprising just how easier it makes driving in traffic. A lot of cars have this functionality when using an auto pilot function, but not when just using the car normally. I don’t understand why this is, because the mapping is already in place.
Yeah, I get some don’t like it. As you say it’s entirely possible though so why not have the option and make both camps happy when they can pick their favourite.

Maybe there’s a fear of more wear or something from harsh regen but I wouldn’t expect it to be an issue or it’d be talked about more on cars that can do it.

Yes, driving in traffic is great with one pedal. I've tried TJA on the MG but it's not as smooth as driving one pedal in the i3 was. I'd love to have the option, especially if it came with stronger regen.

The regen element doesn’t need to be any harsher for OPD - it’s about the last few meters before you come to rest and applying the brakes to a stop.

FWIW the max regen I've noticed in my SE SR is 25%, that's after lightly pressing the brake pedal. Usual non-braking max regen seems to be about 20%.

The regen element doesn’t need to be any harsher for OPD - it’s about the last few meters before you come to rest and applying the brakes to a stop.
I know regen doesn't need to be stronger for OPD. I meant that I would also like an option for stronger regen. The i3 had stronger regen and, once I'd got used to modulating it with the accelerator pedal, I really liked it.

The MG4 does not currently support 1-pedal driving ... except if you're using ACC or TJA, in which case it'll bring you to a stop if the vehicle in front has stopped. (So the capability is there - it's just not implemented for normal driving).
Thanks for the post, it seems definitive, but what do you mean by ACC & TJA?

And bear in mind that post was from May '23 so was true at the time. MY23 cars (i.e. the ones with rear wipers, released around/shortly after that post) came as standard with OPD. :)

Note: this applies for the UK ... I'm not sure what spec has been offered in Aus.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back