One Pedal Driving, how to use?

tonybridge

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
After a couple of weeks with my MG4, I love the Regen braking - the High setting really slows the car when I take my foot off the accelerator do the brake lights come on?), and I use the brake pedal gently for the last couple of feet, then a hard press on the brake to activate AutoHold.

How does the OPD differ, and what are the advantages?

After a couple of weeks with my MG4, I love the Regen braking - the High setting really slows the car when I take my foot off the accelerator do the brake lights come on?), and I use the brake pedal gently for the last couple of feet, then a hard press on the brake to activate AutoHold.

I don’t know if the brake lights come on but I’m glad you asked because I’ve been wondering the same thing for a few days. When I take my foot off it slows down on my car , often wondered do the brake lights actually come on ? If not will a car hit me from behind?

The brake lights do come on when you lift your foot from the accelerator.

OPD is similar, the regen is more aggressive. Another difference is that it will bring the car to a complete stop instead of a slow roll :)

So
The brake lights do come on when you lift your foot from the accelerator.

OPD is similar, the regen is more aggressive. Another difference is that it will bring the car to a complete stop instead of a slow roll :)
so the brake lights have always come on then every time I lift foot off the pedal?

I think so. I followed a Leaf along a twisty country road last month and the brake lights were coming on in a very weird pattern. I don't believe he was actually braking at all. I wasn't. I think they just came on when he took his foot off the accelerator.

I think so. I followed a Leaf along a twisty country road last month and the brake lights were coming on in a very weird pattern. I don't believe he was actually braking at all. I wasn't. I think they just came on when he took his foot off the accelerator.
I never knew that. I suppose it makes perfect sense when I think about it hence nobody’s crashed into my jacksy. Ah yes very good thanks all

Basically it is like one step further than the high regen setting - slowing even more abruptly with just a slight lift and ultimately will come to a standstill without braking at all. The car will then not creep, even with your foot completely off the pedal. My OPD will only turn on at 90% charge or less.

I'm not sure of the exact percentage, but once the regen level exceeds a certain value (7%?) the brake lights are activated as the slowing effect has reached a level that other drivers need to be notified.

But as said above, the key difference with OPD is that you don't actually need to press the brake pedal to come to a complete stop.

So when trundling along in very slow start stop traffic how smooth is the move off when stopped, I like the car creeping gently forward in traffic rather than having to accelerate to move off with a jerk.

If you did'nt have to stop you can just regulate the speed with a slight depression of the accelerator. You don't have to stop at all - you can just keep creeping with slight throttle. For example coming to a roundabout you ease off sufficiently and the car slows to the approach speed you want. If a suitable gap is there you can then speed up again and take the gap, If there is'nt a gap you can ease off more and the car will slow more or stop if needed (without having to move your foot and use the brake pedal). Once a gap appears you press the accelerator again (rather than move foot off brake and press accelerator).

It's all very smooth, just like using high regen - stopping and setting off again.

With regenerative braking the brake lights only activate if the rate of deceleration is over a certain threshold such that it is necessary to notify other drivers.

"The threshold in the UK is that for deceleration greater than 1.3m/s² the brake light signal must be generated"

Last edited by a moderator:

At max regen mode, My SE standard range slows down to 3mph. Any additional braking or not needing to brake, is catered for I my natural driving. If the car slowed to 10mph, I could see the point in one pedal bit at 3mph, I see absolutely no reason to need or want one pedal driving. It takes the phrase "first world problem" to a whole new level. If I had a Gen2 model that had it, I would only ever use it if it could be left on permanently as I have enough things on the MG4 that I turn off already.

I don’t know if the brake lights come on but I’m glad you asked because I’ve been wondering the same thing for a few days. When I take my foot off it slows down on my car , often wondered do the brake lights actually come on ? If not will a car hit me from behind?
I have been driving like that, in my trophy since I purchased it, with no problem, and find it brilliant

At max regen mode, My SE standard range slows down to 3mph. Any additional braking or not needing to brake, is catered for I my natural driving. If the car slowed to 10mph, I could see the point in one pedal bit at 3mph, I see absolutely no reason to need or want one pedal driving. It takes the phrase "first world problem" to a whole new level. If I had a Gen2 model that had it, I would only ever use it if it could be left on permanently as I have enough things on the MG4 that I turn off already.
But don't you enjoy the pre-flight checklists?

I have a whole routine now:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome aboard this MG4 drive to..."

"...The exits are located here, here, and here..."

"...In the unlikely event of a reduction in cabin pressure, oxygen masks will not be provided..."

"We thank you for choosing MG for your journey today..."

(startup checklist)

(driveway taxi checklist)

(takeoff checklist)

... it is fulfilling all my pilot fantasies! 😉

Why would the electric car keep going when you let off the "gas" pedal? Just to imitate the behavior of ICE cars? In my opinion, this is nonsense. I've been using the e-pedal (OPD) exclusively on my Leaf since day one.

Why would the electric car keep going when you let off the "gas" pedal? Just to imitate the behavior of ICE cars? In my opinion, this is nonsense. I've been using the e-pedal (OPD) exclusively on my Leaf since day one.
Why wouldn't it? This isn't about imitating what ICE do, it is just about giving people choices.

I could say: Why would you try to replace two pedals with the limited travel of only one?

Some people love OPD and some hate it. Personally I hate it and I like driving my MG4 on Sport Adaptive Regen without it.

It is just a preference; we are allowed to be different and it doesn't make anyone else wrong.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back