One Pedal Driving

Hi Guys - Newbie
Just bought a MG4 Trophy LR (used). Sometimes the OPD can be toggled on, other times get a message about low charge and the OPD immediately toggles off - charge was over 80% each time this happened. After a few miles I'm then able to turn OPD on. When I purchased the car I was able to turn on OPD on the dealer forecourt - no problem (85% charge). Any one else experienced this? Any ideas what might be causing this?

What I noticed is that when your battery is charge until 100% - the OPD cannot be activated until you're lower than 90%...., I've seen this the two times I went to 100%

What I noticed is that when your battery is charge until 100% - the OPD cannot be activated until you're lower than 90%...., I've seen this the two times I went to 100%
I will check tomorrow how much less than 100% it needs to be (77 kWh ER).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys - Newbie
Just bought a MG4 Trophy LR (used). Sometimes the OPD can be toggled on, other times get a message about low charge and the OPD immediately toggles off - charge was over 80% each time this happened. After a few miles I'm then able to turn OPD on. When I purchased the car I was able to turn on OPD on the dealer forecourt - no problem (85% charge). Any one else experienced this? Any ideas what might be causing this?
The message you get doesn't make much sense, and should instead tell you the battery charge level is too high to allow OPD.

However it is behaving sensibly when at or near 100% because there is no where for the generated electrical energy to go to at a sufficiently high rate (up to 25% power with OPD). If you get too used to 25% regen braking in day to day use, then one day charge to 100% it could get a bit embarrassing the next time you try to slow down.

I have had a bit of a surprise at 100% charge even without OPD, but for some reason normal regen returned relatively quickly.

Just try and find what charge level it works at by experiment. Note it may vary a bit with temperature.

Thanks Guys
The OPD message was confusing "unavailable, low charge power"
I too was confused by this but me Trophy ER - which I have now had for 10 days - behaved excellently today in one pedal mode now that the battery charge level is around 75%. I had previously been unable to engage it with 90%+ of charge when preparing for a long run to Kent and then home to Rutland via Norfolk. Incidentally, one top-up on the way using an open to all Tesla charger: cheap and quick- impressive!

Actually, my Trophy ER allowed OPD at 95%, though it could have been 96% as well because I forgot to check. Effectively, that is 3,7 kWh of 'battery space'.

Last edited by a moderator:
The % seems to vary a bit for different people or perhaps depends on what regen mode you choose initially ?.

For me (using high regen) it's always 89% and below when OPD works.

OPD is only available for the Phase 2 (MY23) cars - i.e. the ones with the rear wiper.

Allegedly the Phase 1 (MY22) cars aren't compatible with OPD, although I have my doubts about that as we can get pseudo-OPD using ACC - if the vehicle in front stops so do we, without us having to press the brake pedal.
good morning

Thank you for this.
My wife has Trophy ER, but it was one of the 1st customer ordered ones no rear wiper, and it went for 1st service and full updates including BT, Radio and date fix . I was curious as to why she didnt get OPD, when I took my ER back in Jan to get BT etc fixed and came out with OPD.

That's something else that MY23 also added - a centre headrest in the rear. The irony being that the area of window swept by the new wiper was obscured by the new headrest. :)
When MG announced this, it was the 1st thing I said and when I ordered my ER there was a 4 in the dealers with this setup, to confirm my theory I sat in drivers seat then looked through from the rear of car back in and Hey presto :) . The sales person did not even notice this till I showed them, so now my ER has the headrest in a plastic bag stored in the loft with MG logo 3d printed covers over the holes where the headrest goes. :)

I didn't think the ER was around for Phase 1/MY22 cars? I thought it came from the start as a Phase 2/MY23 build? (So including rear wiper and OPD).

I didn't think the ER was around for Phase 1/MY22 cars? I thought it came from the start as a Phase 2/MY23 build? (So including rear wiper and OPD).
I ordered my ER when it was announced,( collected late oct 23) and there had already been an announcement that the LR was getting the wiper and at the same time they announced removal of the black roof, didnt realise that it did not include trophy so thought I wasn't getting it. Pleasant surprise when I came to collect and fount it did have black roof :)

I ordered my ER when it was announced,( collected late oct 23) and there had already been an announcement that the LR was getting the wiper and at the same time they announced removal of the black roof, didnt realise that it did not include trophy so thought I wasn't getting it. Pleasant surprise when I came to collect and fount it did have black roof :)
Me too (collected earlier this month)! Uncertainty re black roof (dealer didn't seem to know either) was not really an issue as I chose Camden Grey, but it does actually look quite good.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back