One Pedal Driving

Probably, yes.
Once R40 Infotainment starts getting pushed out to existing Trophy models via dealers, and whatever version the new SE models are coming with, then we should see if it's possible.

As I've said elsewhere, I see no technical reason why Phase 1 cars can't do 1-pedal driving ... it is already possible when using ACC, albeit the brakes are applied to bring the car to a complete stop.

I'm sorry but I do not fully understand the process of one-pedal driving. How do you stop the car in an emergency? How do you switch "gears"?

One pedal driving means that when you lift off the accelerator and use regen to slow the car it will eventually come to a complete stop rather creeping slowly. In an emergency, or any time you're not slowing down quickly enough, you use the brakes. It's not that you always drive only using one pedal. It's just that there will be occasions where you don't need to use the brakes to come to a standstill, especially f you are looking ahead and anticipating the stop. I used to drive miles in my BMW i3 without touching the brakes, including slowing down and stopping at junctions.

I'm sorry but I do not fully understand the process of one-pedal driving. How do you stop the car in an emergency? How do you switch "gears"?
You still have a brake. It is just the car will bring itself to a stop when you lift foot off the accelerator, in the MG it keeps going slowly

But with front collision alert/AEB the car should stop, through very abruptly if there is something ahead, so is that active. How is the speed of deceleration and thus the distance covered determined?

...How is the speed of deceleration and thus the distance covered determined?
In much the same way as you do with your brake pedal, really! You judge it with your foot. You adjust how much you lift off the accelerator, just as you can with the MG at the moment. Lift off a little and it will slow down gently, lift off more and it will slow down quicker.

Speed of deceleration is determined by the regen setting in MG Pilot, Low Medium or Hard.
Front Collision Alert/AEB is irrelevant if there's nothing in front of you.
MY22 models slow down to a crawl, MY23 models slow down to a full stop, ie. only 1 pedal is technically needed to drive the car in normal circumstances.
Obviously if a deer/dog/child jumps out in front of you, you just hit the brakes, as you normally would in any other car.

I have picked up my new MG 4 Trophy a week ago and it’s the new revision model, with the 18” wheels, new wheel covers, rear windshield wiper, amongst other things…and it came with software version R40. I really like the single pedal driving, the only annoying thing is that you have to turn it ON every time you start the car.

So, to be pedantic, there is no such thing as one-pedal driving because there is always a brake pedal. Given the state of the software I would not be confident to use such a capability. And, if you have to switch it on every time then, neither are MG. I assume it does not earn MG NCAP points.

It’s one pedal driving not a one pedal car. Just means you CAN just use the one pedal if you’d like to. It’s way more intuitive than it sounds but nobody is forced to do anything, some people like it some don’t.

Also it’s not the software, it’s you, you push down to go faster lift off to slow/stop, just as progressively as you do with braking. You don’t yank the handbrake to stop you apply appropriate pressure to the brake pedal… it’s all about modulation. Not ON/OFF.

I don’t know if it’ll make it easier for some but think of it like scalextric. They don’t have a brake pedal but you can still control their speed and stop them with just the single input.

Last edited:
If the only difference with one pedal driving is that the car comes to a complete stop rather than creeping, I'm not sure I'm that fussed, from my point of view. Creeping has its advantages too.
Agreed - the "creep" (like a normal ICE automatic) was one of the first things I noted when test driving the MG4, and was one of the things I liked. :)

Agreed - the "creep" (like a normal ICE automatic) was one of the first things I noted when test driving the MG4, and was one of the things I liked. :)
Creep was also one of the first things I noticed on my test drive. Coming from a BMW i3 that did do one pedal it nearly caught me out as I lifted my foot off the brake when I'd stopped expecting the car to stay still and off it went! I've become used to creep now and find it useful at times but, in stop start traffic, I miss being able to drive using just the accelerator and I also miss the way the car would hold on a hill without having to do anything other than take you foot off the pedal (no need for auto hold as it did it 'naturally'). Having now found creep useful at times, I like the way that the new MG allows you to choose either mode. I have a feeling it won't be coming to my car any time soon!

Creep was also one of the first things I noticed on my test drive. Coming from a BMW i3 that did do one pedal it nearly caught me out as I lifted my foot off the brake when I'd stopped expecting the car to stay still and off it went!
same, I’d only had the test drive to experience so far so I’m glad the i3 like behaviour will be an option but the i30 I drive at the moment creeps (there’s an auto hold on it that oddly I don’t use, I guess the juddering of an engine makes sense to creep to me) will see what I end up using most but I think I’ll be OPD for simplicity.

It's not for everyone and takes some people longer to get used to than others. I really like it (in current EV). Sometimes can go for miles around town without using brake pedal. Just have to learn to guage when to lift foot up to slow car down. Still advisable to give the brakes (pads & discs) a proper use daily to avoid corrosion build-up, but one pedal driving and regen definitely save wear & tear and can improve efficiency.

I have picked up my new MG 4 Trophy a week ago and it’s the new revision model, with the 18” wheels, new wheel covers, rear windshield wiper, amongst other things…and it came with software version R40. I really like the single pedal driving, the only annoying thing is that you have to turn it ON every time you start the car.
Do you have a picture of your 18” wheel covers?

Did you mean the one pedal driving function default back to “off” everytime you switched off the ignition?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back