Only getting 3kW on 22kW charger

ggarver

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi all!
I am new here and also a new driver! My first car is the MG4 electric, so I am very pleased with it. We had it for now 2 months.
I am still learning how to deal with the features of the car, etc and I am currently trying to master a bit better the issue with charging.
I came this morning to work by car (battery was warm) and went to the 22kW pole available near the office. I am surprised that after almost 5hrs of charge, it only managed to charge 28% (15kWish). I've seen in other forums that it might be because we are using the cable that came with the car and that one does not allow for "quick" charging...
Any ideas?
We live in the Netherlands by the way!
Thank you all!

The MG4 will only charge at a maximum of 6.6kW/h on AC due to the limit of the onboard charger although the early LR models could manage 11kW/h.
The 22kW/h pole might be sharing its power with other poles and if they are being used that would also cut down the kW available.

It would help if you looked at the cable and checked the specs. If it is rated for 32A then it should give 6.5kW (ish) charge rate from a 22kW 3-phase charge point. But as Ian says above, if the power is being shared then each side may only get 16A per phase (11kW), which would mean you would only get ~3.5kW charge rate on your single phase (which equates to about 3kW into the car).

The MG4 will only charge at a maximum of 6.6kW/h on AC due to the limit of the onboard charger although the early LR models could manage 11kW/h.
The 22kW/h pole might be sharing its power with other poles and if they are being used that would also cut down the kW available.
I'm sorry, this isn't a dig at you, but please use correct units. kW/h does not exist. Charging power is in kW, energy in kWh, thus you could (VW does, but don't get me started on that) write charging power as 7 kWh/h.

If you spend one hour charging at 7 kW, you will have put 7 kWh of energy into recharging the battery (excluding losses etc...)

I'm sorry, this isn't a dig at you, but please use correct units. kW/h does not exist. Charging power is in kW, energy in kWh, thus you could (VW does, but don't get me started on that) write charging power as 7 kWh/h.

If you spend one hour charging at 7 kW, you will have put 7 kWh of energy into recharging the battery (excluding losses etc...)
No offence taken. I got that used to correcting the other way ....😁

Anyway it's @siteguru 's job to correct mistakes :ROFLMAO:

I'll challenge that. You don't know how often I correct people's punctuation and typos, because I do it under the radar. I feel like writing a style guide, but nobody would pay any attention anyway.
I would. I have a reputation at work for being a grammar devotee. The latest thing I'm seeing is people using 'manor' when they mean 'manner'.

e475606ec3a891b037f59f2faae57804.jpg

My current bugbears are grocer's apostrophes, and people who either put spaces between the end of the sentence and the closing punctuation mark, or who don't put a space between the closing punctuation mark and the first word of the next sentence. Also writing an incredibly long sentence with just commas separating phrases rather than splitting the thing up into sensible sentences. Often all this in a single post.

Guilty as charged your honour. I do mean to go back and tidy up the splurge I write - honest

You're not one who is particularly in my sights. Of course, quite often it's members who do not have English as a first language, and there I'm simply in awe that they're able to post as well as they can.

Can I blame the progressive headmaster at our primary school? We were taught no spelling or grammar, but instead creative writing and handwriting in italics.

Can I blame the progressive headmaster at our primary school? We were taught no spelling or grammar, but instead creative writing and handwriting in italics.
Don't see why not.

At my school you took English language O level at 15. If you passed you went into one group and did English literature, if you failed you had another go at English language the following year.
Much to my surprise I scraped a pass so went into the appropriate class where my teacher asked me if I was in the correct classroom. Thanks for the vote of confidence Miss.

I'll challenge that. You don't know how often I correct people's punctuation and typos, because I do it under the radar. I feel like writing a style guide, but nobody would pay any attention anyway.
Dunno wot u iz tawkin bout ! .Nuffink rong wi mi writting, , u r jusst won ov them dooguderz, innit?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back