Open Tesla Supercharge Issues

I had an update to my charge module the other week at my local (Seaford) MG garage. Previously I was unable to use Tesla. On Wednesday I went to Dorking to try again and Hurahh it works. Plugged in, started on the app and hey presto 85kW. Now I can plan Tesla site into my trips.
IMG_2650.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2651.png
    IMG_2651.png
    503.3 KB · Views: 90
Hi Ste. I don’t know who the dealer is, but on this forum is a page where comments can be left about dealers and the service they give. Please go there and name and same them it’s all they deserve.
Les

Last edited:
I had an update to my charge module the other week at my local (Seaford) MG garage. Previously I was unable to use Tesla. On Wednesday I went to Dorking to try again and Hurahh it works. Plugged in, started on the app and hey presto 85kW. Now I can plan Tesla site into my trips.
View attachment 19953
That’s great from your picture I see a MG5 facelifted model as is mine so you say update to your charge module have you any more information about this, did you request this or did you dealer tell you that was why it wouldn’t charge on Tesla before this was done, if so that appears to be the problem, and was there any charge made for the update many thanks in advance.
Les

That’s great from your picture I see a MG5 facelifted model as is mine so you say update to your charge module have you any more information about this, did you request this or did you dealer tell you that was why it wouldn’t charge on Tesla before this was done, if so that appears to be the problem, and was there any charge made for the update many thanks in advance.
Les
I called them to ask about an issue I was having with my radio reception being rubbish and CarPlay acting up and run my plate through the system and it showed 4 updates 1 was for the charge module that was on a campaign for known issues with some chargers. I mentioned it didn’t work with Teslas but he didn’t know anything about issues with them. I just tried charging at a supercharger again just to see if it sorted it. There was no charge for doing the update.

Last edited by a moderator:
So interesting development in this story ... after my supplying dealership didn't know anything about the software updates necessary, I contacted my next closest MG dealership who informed me that there actually was a recall notice on my vehicle for a software update and they would book it in !

So am sitting in the dealership now - speaking to the service desk about service update SC052 which involves a CCU update for my ZS LR mk.2 - apparently it was issued in July but for some reason didn't appear on my supplying dealers screens when I spoke the other week !

I saw the service notice sheet which curiously doesn't tell the dealer what the CCU update actually entails, the reason for it being done or the version number it will update to ?

I asked about the previously mentioned 'software pack campaign' that has been mentioned here for Tesla -compatitbility and there is nothing on the dealers' system (where I am at the moment) about it or any other software/firmware updates for the DCU/EVCC/CCU/BMS/BCM as mentioned by Miles @ Burnley MG in the podcast.

I also queried my R16 MPU version and 66.3.1.2 MCU versions and was told that again there was nothing showing that needed to be applied or was available to be applied (even at cost) ... they said their current process is that they have to raise an individual request to MG Technical stating what the customer wants and that MG Technical have to authorise and release any software patches to be applied - which again doesn't sound much like a known-about internal campaign for these compatibility patches to be visibly delivered through ?

So I'll wait and see what gets done for this recall and drive to the Uxbridge Superchargers (nearest that are 'opened') and see if anything works ... if not, then its back to the phones/keyboards/dealers to try and find out what needs to be done to achieve this outcome !

@Stuart Wright ... is there any merit in a pinned post at the head of each car forum where the latest known firmware/software versions could be posted and any identified recall notices (such as my SC052) listed so forum members can be aware ?

Last edited:
I agree with you on a pined post at the head for updates and this issue is still quite young only 7 pages not like others where a up date post of could have been useful example MG4 oil leaks. Hundreds of pages on that one good luck with the updates
Les

I agree with you on a pined post at the head for updates and this issue is still quite young only 7 pages not like others where a up date post of could have been useful example MG4 oil leaks. Hundreds of pages on that one good luck with the updates
Les
To be fair to @Stuart Wright there is a service update thread but it hasn't been updated for quite a while (apart from mine just now!) ... ZS EV service update log ... but maybe a 'known' software/firmware version table could be added ...

So interesting development in this story ... after my supplying dealership didn't know anything about the software updates necessary, I contacted my next closest MG dealership who informed me that there actually was a recall notice on my vehicle for a software update and they would book it in !

So am sitting in the dealership now - speaking to the service desk about service update SC052 which involves a CCU update for my ZS LR mk.2 - apparently it was issued in July but for some reason didn't appear on my supplying dealers screens when I spoke the other week !

I saw the service notice sheet which curiously doesn't tell the dealer what the CCU update actually entails, the reason for it being done or the version number it will update to ?

I asked about the previously mentioned 'software pack campaign' that has been mentioned here for Tesla -compatitbility and there is nothing on the dealers' system (where I am at the moment) about it or any other software/firmware updates for the DCU/EVCC/CCU/BMS/BCM as mentioned by Miles @ Burnley MG in the podcast.

I also queried my R16 MPU version and 66.3.1.2 MCU versions and was told that again there was nothing showing that needed to be applied or was available to be applied (even at cost) ... they said their current process is that they have to raise an individual request to MG Technical stating what the customer wants and that MG Technical have to authorise and release any software patches to be applied - which again doesn't sound much like a known-about internal campaign for these compatibility patches to be visibly delivered through ?

So I'll wait and see what gets done for this recall and drive to the Slough Superchargers (nearest that are 'opened') and see if anything works ... if not, then its back to the phones/keyboards/dealers to try and find out what needs to be done to achieve this outcome !

@Stuart Wright ... is there any merit in a pinned post at the head of each car forum where the latest known firmware/software versions could be posted and any identified recall notices (such as my SC052) listed so forum members can be aware ?
My mg5 had a CCU update but my dealer had no info regarding what was in the update just that there was a recall notice on it But the update did solve my supercharger issues. He did say there was some networks that have caused issues with the car and this was to resolve that.

So I'll wait and see what gets done for this recall and drive to the Uxbridge Superchargers (nearest that are 'opened') and see if anything works ... if not, then its back to the phones/keyboards/dealers to try and find out what needs to be done to achieve this outcome !

Interested to hear how this goes!

So CCU update was done but annoyingly no paperwork issued to see what version it is now - drove to Uxbridge Superchargers but couldn't actually try it as the Tesla app refused to accept my postcode as being valid for my payment card details (tried through the website aswell as I already had Tesla account but same problem ! :-( ... is logged with Tesla Customer Experience Team and waiting for them to get back to me ... so limped home for an off-peak Octopus Flux 25% top-up tonight !

Messaged MG customer service about the update needed to my zs EV LR (dec 22) so it can use open Tesla stations. Apparently MG regard this as a 'comfort' update and therefore it will be chargeable. I've asked them to explain why using chargers that are available to others is not a fault. Honestly such measley aftercare really makes me despair of MG

After deleting and re-registering my Tesla account (apparently you can change all the details apart from the country which obviously sets the details for subsequent registration fields) I got my payment card established - went back to the Uxbridge 'open' superchargers and no joy ... I setup a charging session OK but got an abnormal charge status message on the iSmart app and dash display, tried again and it connected but just didn't charge ... so the SA/SC052 CCU update isn't enough by itself ... back to MG to see why they haven't answered my email from 3 weeks ago and again try and get the exact wording of this software pack/'comfort upgrade' to get it installed ...

Attachments

• IMG_5306.jpeg
    IMG_5306.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_5305.jpeg
    IMG_5305.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5303.jpeg
    IMG_5303.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5304.jpeg
    IMG_5304.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 75
After deleting and re-registering my Tesla account (apparently you can change all the details apart from the country which obviously sets the details for subsequent registration fields) I got my payment card established - went back to the Uxbridge 'open' superchargers and no joy ... I setup a charging session OK but got an abnormal charge status message on the iSmart app and dash display, tried again and it connected but just didn't charge ... so the SA/SC052 CCU update isn't enough by itself ... back to MG to see why they haven't answered my email from 3 weeks ago and again try and get the exact wording of this software pack/'comfort upgrade' to get it installed ...
These are the errors I got before the update. The Tesla app kept saying ‘No Car found’.

Attachments

• IMG_2274.jpeg
    IMG_2274.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2278.jpeg
    IMG_2278.jpeg
    286.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2275.jpeg
    IMG_2275.jpeg
    339.1 KB · Views: 97
SAIC need to be getting better information to dealers on this.

Clearly there is a series of patches that fixes this issue, but a lot of these dealers seem unable to apply them or know what the issue is...

And just for proof, here's the last few months of my Tesla charging history on my ZS SR...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230908-135446.png
    Screenshot_20230908-135446.png
    188.9 KB · Views: 92
Good luck. When I asked MG customer service for the update details I was told the dealer should contact them direct. Still they have answered both my emails within 24 hours. Which is good.

As posted earlier I had TCLR first service updates carried out recently. Also specifically requested Tesla compatible update - MG UK charged my dealer £120 for supplying the software patch That was then passed onto me. Anyway whatever … Have been using Tesla open chargers without any problems.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom