Opinions on DC Home Charging

VinnieP

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi,
I'd be interested to hear what others here on the forum have to say about Home DC Charging. Until now, I was under the impression that DC chargers are generally only used in public or commercial stations because they are expensive and time-consuming to operate.

But it seems that there are in fact DC chargers designed for home use like this one.

What are your thoughts on home DC charging?

Wouldn't it put quite a strain on the public power grid if thousands of homeowners have their cars hooked up to the DC charger?

I think they may be more viable for EV dealerships and outside the UK in certain countries. I don’t think our infrastructure would support these for home charging and the cost would be very high anyway.

I would also imagine the vast majority of people don't actually need that speed at home. 7kw from arriving at home to leaving again in the morning should get almost any car up to 80+

Sure if you're in a short EV hours electric tariff then perhaps you'd not get there nightly, but unless your commute is over like 90 miles, then you'd still probably be ok with 4 hours cheap rate.

20kw about three times as fast so would easily do 10-100% in the Go tariff window but it would not balance the battery

Dc rapid Charing depletes the battery life so home charging with domestic 7kw wall box over night is best practice. Also allows battery cell rebalancing. rapid chargers are for those brave soles who go further than the single charge radius of the vehicle.

I would suggest that 20kW is not really fast charging. If compared with earlier car models which had 24 kW batteries being charged at 7kW then a 62 kW battery at 20kW is the same charge rate.

If anyone has other thoughts please share them

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom