Optimistic range estimation.

Flwul

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Now that it is warmer, the batteries work better. But, over 290 miles is a tad optimistic I'd say 😁

Attachments

• IMG_20220515_114615.jpg
    IMG_20220515_114615.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 180
4.7 mike's per kWh is pretty impressive. My driving will almost always include some motorway, das A-road etc.. But so far I am extremely happy with this car. Just love it.

4.7 mike's per kWh is pretty impressive. My driving will almost always include some motorway, das A-road etc.. But so far I am extremely happy with this car. Just love it.
It is good - but my wife's VW e-Up! has obtained 6.8 miles/kWh over the last 2 days of driving (mostly on 2 lane roads). Super-efficient little car.

I've had 4.4 without really trying. Equally I've had 3.8 whilst doing 70 and the occasional bit of spirited driving. The warmer weather helps a lot.

Really trying to not get into a habit of driving ineffectiantly because I have plenty of range and a free charge the other end.

6.8 by the e-Up! is really impressive, I love that. I never liked SUVs, they always were to me an is logical, oversize of a problem we already have. So many huge 3 ton heavy gas guzzlers with only 1 person in them. If we would have forbidden SUVs (not that I would want to live in a world that is so controlling, just a thought experiment!) and all those miles would have been done by small efficient cars, the global warming crisis would be years further away. We would have so much more time to solve the CO2 emission challenges! And, driving our eVs is still not without emission, they just do not come out of a tailpipe anymore. So, I hope that efficiency will become more important also with EVs. Who practically cares that a Tesla can go from 0 to 60 in under 3 seconds? It's all just willy waving. When would we use nonsense like that anyhow? Couldn't we better use smaller and lighter electric motors, do 0 to 60 in 12 seconds buy have much better range and much lower carbon footprint? I have 2 teenage boys and 2 Whippets, so the MG5 is a fitting size. When my boys are grown up, have their own families, I will have something like the Citroen Ami.

I'm trying to not reset my accumulative one so I see my overall totals from day 1. But it inevitably will be reset sometime, during a service or update.

One click down from the speedo is the current journey, a further click down is the accumulative trip.
It’s is likely that the long term average has the most influence on inflating the predicted range you can see.
Resetting both counters is always advisable before taking on a long trip, I find.
Let’s just say, you have 200 miles stored on your accumulative counter and the majority of the miles shown, have been done driving carefully or in town.
Not heater or use of the A/C over these journeys.
Then the predicted range will be based and representative of the evidence that is shown.
You leave the trips un- rest thinking you will achieve the estimated range displayed.
However, the long range trip includes fast roads and the weather conditions are not favourable.
Strong winds / rain and the heater is in use.
The car is now learning a different situation on how the car is behaving.
It adjusts the predicted range on the fly.
You are now wondering why your range is falling more quickly than you expected ???,
This can catch you out, because you based your range on the previous reported prediction.
Reset the trips before taking on a longer ( unknown ) trip is a safer option in my opinion.

I'm trying to not reset my accumulative one so I see my overall totals from day 1. But it inevitably will be reset sometime, during a service or update.
Join in on the thread below and keep your own monthly records. :)

Join in on the thread below and keep your own monthly records. :)
Why would I keep manual records when I have a computer to do that? :) (Actually not a bad idea for when it gets reset - I could just take a pic once in while)

However I don't really do enough miles to do serious analysis. Just gone over 2000 miles in nearly 6 months. I need to get out more, as they say... LOL

That is why !.
Of course - that's why I mentioned the conditions. However, coming home from our mini-break today with much of the journey on dual carriageways and motorways at 65 - 70 mph, the efficiency only dropped to 6.1 miles /kWh. Colder and raining as we left, but soon dried up. I remain very impressed.

Now that it is warmer, the batteries work better. But, over 290 miles is a tad optimistic I'd say 😁
I'm jealous! Mine only estimated 288miles! (100%). Checking the gom later with miles covered and actual mileage wotked out about 270 miles. I'm happy with that....4.4mpkw! 🤓

Indeed. I started the other day with an estimate of 270 miles. Drove from Inverness to Lochinver and back, 190 miles, and returned to be told there were 60 estimated miles left. And that was 190 Highland miles with blustery wind, showers and air temperature of 10C.

4.4 m/kWh out and 4.2 m/kWh return, so not bad considering. Plus, it's a fab scenic run...

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom