Original vs LR features difference

SiW80

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Apart from range, what are the differences?

Seems to be iPilot and loading of the roof rails from my untrained eye.

Is this right?

If so at nearly £10k cheaper the original looks better value as the LR range doesn’t seem that might higher.

Or am I wrong?

Is this right?

If so at nearly £10k cheaper the original looks better value as the LR range doesn’t seem that might higher.

Or am I wrong?
They are about the only differences. I have an original standard range MG5. Obviously I would like the 75kg roof rails and the longer range but I would not use the pilot features. If you can make an original work for you I wouldn't pay an extra £10k either. Sounds like a bargain.

They are about the only differences. I have an original standard range MG5. Obviously I would like the 75kg roof rails and the longer range but I would not use the pilot features. If you can make an original work for you I wouldn't pay an extra £10k either. Sounds like a bargain.
I totally agree I would say unless you need that extra range most days then the SR if fine.

Don't think there is £10k difference in price. When I bought my LR the difference was £2k, which to me, was a complete no brainer.

Is this right?

Or am I wrong?
Those are the main differences - along with the bigger battery obviously!

There is also a sturdier, adjustable boot floor, a roughly 1cm increase in ride height and associated front suspension geometry change (no one seems to notice any handling difference). The software also allows manual operation of the Battery Heater. The manual suggest a peak torque increase from 260Nm to 280Nm along with coolant quantity changes, etc - and the LR is slightly heavier.

As mentioned above, the list price increase was around £2k - so not sure if you're comparing a pre-owned/registered or Affinity priced Standard Range against a list price Long Range? Either way, the minor differences are only worth the price difference if you want/need them 🤷‍♂️

Sorry guys, £10k is the difference between used original and new LR pricing with round numbers (£20k vs £30k).

Can the battery heater be manually changed in a software update do you think?

I assume you're talking new LR v 2nd hand SR?

As at the time it wasn't that big a difference when they were selling both models. I think at most the gap was around £5K if you looked at Excite SR compared to Exclusive LR

Or if you looked at Affinity deals v Joe Public.

Sorry guys, £10k is the difference between used original and new LR pricing with round numbers (£20k vs £30k).

In that case, it's a tough choice, if you feel that you would rarely need the additional range that's quite a saving that could be factored in on using a rapid charger in desperate need on longer journeys. Say £15 a time to charge at one, that's 666 rapid charges while out and about to get you back on the move.

Admittedly MG Pilot is decent, the adaptive cruise control works great I find, but at 10K its a tough sell.

I know they aren't biggies but seat covering, heated wing mirrors and seats and keyless entry were also different weren't they?

I know they aren't biggies but seat covering, heated wing mirrors and seats and keyless entry were also different weren't they?
That was trim level, OP just asking difference in the SR/LR models, SR also had both Excite/Exclusive trim options.

Only between the Excite and Exclusive trim levels - not between the SR and LR (although I think the Excite gained auto dimming rear mirror and maybe passenger USB ports in LR version?)

You can get 2nd hand LR for around 22-24k i would imagine?

Looking at original in Exclusive trim.

Does that have heated seats?

Know it was a year ago or so but cannot find the original spec list.

I was surprised the difference in range wasn’t too much - it is on the ZS but not MG5.

Send me the link 😀

I haven’t seen any yet 😞

I’m being tight as cannot justify £30k for a new car but could £20k for a nearly new.
Got mine, 2 months old at the time ex demo for 23k, it is excite model though.

Last edited:
Send me the link 😀

I haven’t seen any yet 😞

I’m being tight as cannot justify £30k for a new car but could £20k for a nearly new.
My justification was spending almost £200 a month in diesel & £20 a month road tax, compared to just £300 a month for the LR Exclusive, but then there were 0% finance deals around at the time.

Did a 200 mile round trip the other day, cost me around £2.50 in off peak electricity, compared to what would have been around £35-40 in diesel in my old S-Max. Also ULEZ and no CC for London too are nice bonuses.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom