Original vs LR features difference

I think you still have to pay London congestion charge

You pay £10 a year to register for a 100% discount from the charge

1643797431365.png

You pay a £10 yearly registration fee for the "cleaner vehicle" discount which is available for BEV and Hydrogen powered vehicle, which gives you a 100% discount. This however ends on 25th December 2025.

In the new LR M5 there are driver safety features not on the lower capacity battery model which give it a higher safety rating and therefore should be lower in the insurance grouping I believe.

When I arranged my insurance for my MG5 LR I had to pay £7 in addition to what I was already paying- which included a £15 admin fee! Therefore imagining it's slightly cheaper to insure than my 7 year old Leaf. LV were very clear it was the larger battery and said they had both models on their system- some other insurers apparently haven't been able to 'find' the LR yet!

There were similar issues in the early days for all of the MG EV models I think.
It takes a while for the insurance industry to catch up when any new model is released.

I think you still have to pay London congestion charge
You don't until 2025.
You need to register the car yearly and pay £10 admin fee each time too. The link below has all the details. The section of interest to us is the drop down menu 'Cleaner vehicle discount'

Discounts and exemptions

Edit 1: after reading your post I saw no further replies so answered, but I now realise they were on a second page! Apologies for repeating an answer that has already been supplied by others 🤦‍♂️

Edit 2: How do I delete this post? It isn't at all obvious to me.

Last edited:
The SR MG5 has a peak charge rate of 50kWh, doesn't the LR have a peak rate of 100?

I have to admit, from my expereince with the SR, I'd take the faster peak charge rate over the increased battery capacity if I could. It's rare I go over the 180miles the SR can comfortably get on a single charge, but when I do it would be very handy to be able to top up more quickly for the extra range I need to get home rather than carry the extra weight of the bigger battery all the time when I rarely use the extra capacity.

The SR MG5 has a peak charge rate of 50kWh, doesn't the LR have a peak rate of 100?

I have to admit, from my expereince with the SR, I'd take the faster peak charge rate over the increased battery capacity if I could. It's rare I go over the 180miles the SR can comfortably get on a single charge, but when I do it would be very handy to be able to top up more quickly for the extra range I need to get home rather than carry the extra weight of the bigger battery all the time when I rarely use the extra capacity.
I think they both have exactly the same max rate of 80kWh (according to EV Database), but 50kWh figures were used for the SR (perhaps as the most common when launched) but 100kWh used for the LR (again, maybe the popular choice at launch or maybe marketing hype to make it appear improved).

I think a couple of times I have been on a Gridserve at rugby with my 5SR, and its been down to low 30% mark and i have started a charge there, it’s gone into the low 60s for a while maybe up to 65/70% but then dropped down to mid 40s for the rest of the time but I only take it to about 80% which is all I need to finish my 220 mile trip to my sons house so from around 30-80% takes around 30 minutes happy with that does the job for me fine.
Les

It's rare I go over the 180miles the SR can comfortably get on a single charge...
I feel the need to add, 180miles in the warmer months. It's been more like 150miles on a full charge in Dec and Jan. For just these two months faster charging would be even more welcome!

But otherwise I agree with Les Burrows, even a 50kWh charge rate is still quick just to add in a few extra miles to finish off a journey.

Is anyone aware whether (or not) the LR can tow a trailer, up to 750Kg? Thought I read that somewhere :unsure:

Is anyone aware whether (or not) the LR can tow a trailer, up to 750Kg? Thought I read that somewhere :unsure:
Not that I know. The face lift model in Europe has a tow rating of 500kg I believe. It seems to me that it's again below the actual needs of the average camper. Like roof rails that couldn't be used.

As above, I've seen 500kg quoted for the facelift but even that was subject to homologation.

Towing capacity is an area where EV manufacturers need to up their game if they really are to offer a true alternative to ICE cars. The slight increases in range is not the only improvements that manufacturers need to focus on.

Those are the main differences - along with the bigger battery obviously!

There is also a sturdier, adjustable boot floor, a roughly 1cm increase in ride height and associated front suspension geometry change (no one seems to notice any handling difference). The software also allows manual operation of the Battery Heater. The manual suggest a peak torque increase from 260Nm to 280Nm along with coolant quantity changes, etc - and the LR is slightly heavier.

As mentioned above, the list price increase was around £2k - so not sure if you're comparing a pre-owned/registered or Affinity priced Standard Range against a list price Long Range? Either way, the minor differences are only worth the price difference if you want/need them 🤷‍♂️
Plus, air con /climate control & USB ports for the rear seats; wifi charging mat in the front; new & larger infotainment display; faster OS (the first model is a little slow); phone app for setting charging limits and scheduling.

Plus, air con /climate control & USB ports for the rear seats; wifi charging mat in the front; new & larger infotainment display; faster OS (the first model is a little slow); phone app for setting charging limits and scheduling.
Don't think so

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom