OSRAM Nightbreaker Laser Installation MG5

Fitted mine today and got a skinned thumb knuckle for my pleasure doing N/s one
image.jpg

I have paid Halfords 59 pound two new better halagen bulbs and the lady fitted them was brilliant and a lot better at night and no skinned fingers👍👌

I fitted the uprated headlamps in my MG5 about a week ago and thought it would be a good idea to take a few pics and give some guidance to others planning the same task.

First remove the ten plastic bolts/clips holding the top cover.
View attachment 4569

Once the fixings are removed, it's just held in place by Velcro strips on either side so it doesn't take much effort to lift it clear.
View attachment 4570

Pull off the black rubber cap at the back of the headlight and you will see the existing lamp (or at least you can with the aid of a phone camera/mirror - there isn't space to get your head in!). You can see from the design of the clip that removal involves rotating and pulling.
View attachment 4571

Finger space is tight (worse on the nearside) but I got it out.
View attachment 4572

The clip holding the plug on is very tight and quite inflexible. More than one owner has reported breaking it whilst trying to remove so I came up with the idea of using an upholstery clip removal tool to open the tab. This worked perfectly and both were removed with no damage at all.
View attachment 4573

The new lamp was plugged in to the connector (use rubber gloves when you do this so you don't touch the glass with your fingers).
View attachment 4574

Insertion is in theory the opposite of removal and I'd like to say this was easy but I actually found it extremely difficult on the nearside at least due to lack of finger space. Pushing the lamp into location was straightforward but I just couldn't get sufficient purchase to rotate it into the locked position. In the end I made myself an Aluminium U shaped tool that was a snug fit over the end of the lamp casing to effectively lengthen it. This enabled me to rotate it without the need to get my fingers inside the headlight itself.
View attachment 4575

Once they were both in it was just a matter of functional testing before everything was closed up.
View attachment 4576

Full details of the lamps I bought from eBay (Demon Tweeks) for £19:
View attachment 4577
shrewd idea🙏, width of the bracket { tool } ?, thanks

It's about 22mm but 21mm will work if there's a little flexibility in the U Channel.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom