Out of charge / being towed

biffo

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Just saw a Twitter thread about EVs such as the Leaf, Mini (& maybe IONIQ 5) having option to select neutral so can be towed to a charge point.

What happens to the MG when runs out of charge? Can it be towed and neutral selected or is it effectively stuck in Park?

As I just managed to download the user manual, I can confirm - that it's not clear...

"When pushing or towing the vehicle from a dangerous situation or onto the transporter, the speed must remain below 3mph (5km/h) and be completed within 3 minutes.
When pushing or towing the vehicle onto the transporter, the driver's side seat belt should be inserted into the lock and maintained in the inserted state in order to release the EPB."

Not sure what happens after 3 minutes!

The user manual is pretty clear that the MG5 needs to be towed with the front wheel raised, so that would suggest putting it in neutral for "proper" towing isn't a recommended option..

Last edited:
Ah - I’d searched the manual but didn’t find this initially.

So, sounds like the driver’s seat belt is key here - as having it fastened unlocks the electronic parking brake. So the car can be towed by AA using their standard van with the set up to lift front wheels off the ground 👍

Yep - makes sense. I guess the rear wheels will always roll freely? I don't think any brakes work on rear wheels and it's front wheel drive..
Looks like those instructions are just to allow you to get it off the road or tow short distances..

It would be simpler to leave it in Ready mode and in D to regen some power back into the battery on the way, but I don't think that's recommended. 🤔

It would be simpler to leave it in Ready mode and in D to regen some power back into the battery on the way, but I don't think that's recommended. 🤔
Must admit, not sure how the car reacts when HV battery is flat and whether all the usual options are available. Hopefully won't need to find out!

As I just managed to download the user manual, I can confirm - that it's not clear...

"When pushing or towing the vehicle from a dangerous situation or onto the transporter, the speed must remain below 3mph (5km/h) and be completed within 3 minutes.
When pushing or towing the vehicle onto the transporter, the driver's side seat belt should be inserted into the lock and maintained in the inserted state in order to release the EPB."

Not sure what happens after 3 minutes!

The user manual is pretty clear that the MG5 needs to be towed with the front wheel raised, so that would suggest putting it in neutral for "proper" towing isn't a recommended option..
I would go on a limb and guess that after 3 minutes of no throttle being pressed the car will auto-shut itself down and re-enable the parking brake, not ideal mid-push/pull onto a transporter.

Just saw a Twitter thread about EVs such as the Leaf, Mini (& maybe IONIQ 5) having option to select neutral so can be towed to a charge point.

What happens to the MG when runs out of charge? Can it be towed and neutral selected or is it effectively stuck in Park?

Ive found out this twice, they cannot disengage the handbrake which means you get plastic sliders under the wheels and they drag it onto the flat bed lorry. they need the garage to release it to get it off, i turned out to find out they got it off and i think damaged the car. Time will tell when get this back for the 3rd time now

Ive found out this twice, they cannot disengage the handbrake which means you get plastic sliders under the wheels and they drag it onto the flat bed lorry. they need the garage to release it to get it off, i turned out to find out they got it off and i think damaged the car. Time will tell when get this back for the 3rd time now
Did you try point 2 below, about the driver’s seat belt? I completely missed this page until it was pointed out above - if you did, I’m assuming it wasn’t any help

1650436788607.png

I think those instruction assume you have power to instruments and ability to change settings. So if you're about to push the car off the road - you'll put the car into neutral and ensure the drivers seatrbelt is engaged.

Issue I guess is what happens is you've suffered a power loss - which is probably the most likely reason you'd break down. In which case no way to amend settings via instruments.

@stevenc152 - so this has happened to you? And the car's park brakes just remain on with no way of releasing it?

I think those instruction assume you have power to instruments and ability to change settings. So if you're about to push the car off the road - you'll put the car into neutral and ensure the drivers seatrbelt is engaged.

Issue I guess is what happens is you've suffered a power loss - which is probably the most likely reason you'd break down. In which case no way to amend settings via instruments.

@stevenc152 - so this has happened to you? And the car's park brakes just remain on with no way of releasing it?
That's sort of where I was thinking too - which part is dependent on the 12V system and which the HV. I was initially thinking of being out of HV charge but with a working 12V system, and how does it respond (if at all)?

All items like parking brake motors will be 12V but will they disengage if HV battery flat - obviously they won't if the car doesn't react at all to the Stop/Start button being pressed.

That's sort of where I was thinking too - which part is dependent on the 12V system and which the HV. I was initially thinking of being out of HV charge but with a working 12V system, and how does it respond (if at all)?

All items like parking brake motors will be 12V but will they disengage if HV battery flat - obviously they won't if the car doesn't react at all to the Stop/Start button being pressed.
Ah - I get it. I would hope that in the event of completely running out of charge - i.e. the main HV Battery - the car would presumably stop. But you should have 12V battery left, so instruments work. In which case the instructions above work - put it into Neutral, engage seatbelt, so the front wheels roll and and you can push the car off the road or onto a tow truck, without causing damage.

I wouldn't mind betting however that the chances of the instrument panel just going blank/dying are fairly strong. If the transmission / parking brake is engaged then you could do some damage trying to move it, which it sounds like is @stevenc152 's worry..

Last edited:
As far as I understand so far the HV battery provides traction and heating whereas the 12v supplies all the accessories, lights, displays ect, so a dead HV shouldn't effect the ability to release the break as long as the 12v system is powered.. Same for using hazard lights ect, all should still work till your rescued.

My understanding is that there is no gearbox or clutch so if the road wheels are in contact with
the road, the motor/generator will turn with the wheels. The speed limit and time are probably
to do with emf generated.
The Hand brake issue is a different thing this operetes on the rear wheels but can only be released
with the seat belt fastened.

Last edited:
In order to release the brake the drivers seatbelt needs to be fastened, press footbrake and push down on the toggle brake not the centre of the selector dial after pressing the start button. Be careful as the car will start moving as soon as you take your foot off the brake and if you press down on the brake it will re-engage the brake and you will need to switch off the car and start the whole process again. In the AA's notes it say's to turn off the car once you release the brake but that just re-engaged the brake when I did that.

Having successfully running out of charge (twice) I can confirm the ZS EV can be towed

I have been in attendance a few times when a car is being pulled onto a flatbed (never mine I hasten to add) and I am fairly confident none has ever been done within 3 minutes from start to finish.

Had fun and games with an auto ICE car we had refused to turn over on the petrol pumps after refuelling. AA man was rather caught between a rock and a hard place as the parking brake was engaged but the rules state he is not allowed to work on the vehicle whilst still on the pumps. Once he could finally got on with it it took less time to fix than it took to work out how to release the parking brake just to get it off the pumps.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom