Overnight charging

shawncullen

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all
Sent this to EV energy and waiting on a response. Meantime anyone else come across this? Am I missing something?
All thoughts welcome.

“See snapshot. I currently have octopus off peak tariff - 5p per kWh between 12:30 and 4:30am. I’ve set the app to know this and while it is boosting charging during this period, I can’t understand why I am only getting rates of 3.5 per kWh when I have a 7 kWh wall charger. Why am I not pulling nearer the 7 during the off peak period? I get the trickle charge before and after because it is an MG ZS EV but would have thought ALL the charging would have been completed during trickle charge when first plugged in and during off peak period, not needing to go into trickle charge afterwards?”

Attachments

• 92F99981-1422-4CF3-A84F-8EC8B1D5FBB2.png
    92F99981-1422-4CF3-A84F-8EC8B1D5FBB2.png
    583.9 KB · Views: 189
I have podpoint with the timed charge beta app and the same Octopus tariff as you - I set same time as you 00.30 to 04.30. That draws just under 7kwh during main charge and drops off as normal near the fully charged state. Does you car pull 7kw outside of off peak?

Looks like you have a trickle charge and then restricted to 16A charge.

It should be adjusted to 32A. If untethered check you type2 cable too.

That ev.energy chart shows half-hour time slices. 3.5kWh in 30 minutes means your charger was running at a 7kW rate which is about right.

You are getting kW confused with kWh. The former is power and the latter is energy.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ Told you I had no idea what I’m doing! Thanks all!

😂 😂 😂 That's what is great about this forum - don't be afraid to admit your mistakes as we learn from each other and don't be afraid to ask questions (no such thing as a 'stupid' question!

Don't sweat it - sometimes it's the simplest of things that are the answers!

Cheers

Bloggsy

Not sure whether this has already been covered but the car can't tell the charger how much it needs to fully charge. Hence, if it is not fully charged at the end of the 7kW charge period, it will revert to trickle charging until it is and then drop to about 300W for a period whilst it does its cell balancing thing. If you've had the duff BMS update, that could take several hours - you'll know when the cell balance has been restored to full health when balancing ends after 1-2 hrs and battery voltage after a full charge and balance is around 448 - 450v. If you had a BMS update between September and December last year, check with your dealer whether you need the January update installing. Voltage below about 440v after a a full charge and balance would suggest you do.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom