OVMS (Again)

I stuck mine on top of one of the control modules inside the center console, it doesn't seem to be causing any problems there but as to if it's a good idea to put it there or not I'll leave it for others to judge.

There's a clip near the OBD port you need to pop out (It's a pushpin type) and then the panel comes off.
Thanks! I'll leave it on the center console for now.
@GreyPeter I've got OVMS setup and the build loaded. Is there anything specific you want me to test?

I won't be using the car much over the next few days. But the car will be on my driveway and I can plug it in and also will have access to wifi.

Thanks! I'll leave it on the center console for now.
@GreyPeter I've got OVMS setup and the build loaded. Is there anything specific you want me to test?

I won't be using the car much over the next few days. But the car will be on my driveway and I can plug it in and also will have access to wifi.
Just need to make sure it is working as expected. With the car in the ready state, send the command polls on and you should see the SOC and estimated range. If that works fine, try the same while charging and unlocked. Now try locking the car. This may set the alarm off. If it does, just unlock it again. If it doesn’t set off the alarm, that is great news and I will do a new version for you to try. Thank you for taking the time to test it. If you have the app, on the car page, push the boot and then wakeup - this is the same as sending the polls on message.

Just need to make sure it is working as expected. With the car in the ready state, send the command polls on and you should see the SOC and estimated range. If that works fine, try the same while charging and unlocked. Now try locking the car. This may set the alarm off. If it does, just unlock it again. If it doesn’t set off the alarm, that is great news and I will do a new version for you to try. Thank you for taking the time to test it. If you have the app, on the car page, push the boot and then wakeup - this is the same as sending the polls on message.

Hi @GreyPeter thanks!

So here's what I've tried.

Car in ready state, initiated wake up through the app.

Don't see the SoC on the car page though. The battery page shows SoC but it's off. My dash SoC is 99%. I suspect ovms shows the full 61.1kwh where as my dash shows 57kwh capacity.

Will try the charging tomorrow, as I'm close to 100% today.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230427-171615.png
    Screenshot_20230427-171615.png
    422.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Screenshot_20230427-171344.png
    Screenshot_20230427-171344.png
    346.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_20230427-171351.png
    Screenshot_20230427-171351.png
    132.7 KB · Views: 84
Some stage please send me soc.raw at 100% charge. The charge setting in your 3rd photo is not implemented in the MG code.
Hey @GreyPeter I haven't been able to get the soc.raw when the car is at 100%. But I will try it over the weekend if I can.

In the meantime I've been polling the car. Under the following scenarios:

1) Not charging, car locked. Polls on command. No alarm
2) Not charging, car unlocked. Polls on command. No alarm
3) Not charging, car unlocked. Ready state. Polls on command. No alarm
4) Not charging, car locked. Ready state. Polls on command. No alarm
5) Charging (type2), car unlocked. Ready state. Boot tap in the app. No alarm
6) Charging (type2), car locked. Boot tap in the app. No alarm.

I hope this is useful? Happy to try another build.

Ive only had the car alarm go off twice.

Both times, was several hours after I poll'ed the car. It just randomly triggered the alarm.

I haven't been able to replicate it yet. But I will keep trying.

Hey @GreyPeter I haven't been able to get the soc.raw when the car is at 100%. But I will try it over the weekend if I can.

In the meantime I've been polling the car. Under the following scenarios:

1) Not charging, car locked. Polls on command. No alarm
2) Not charging, car unlocked. Polls on command. No alarm
3) Not charging, car unlocked. Ready state. Polls on command. No alarm
4) Not charging, car locked. Ready state. Polls on command. No alarm
5) Charging (type2), car unlocked. Ready state. Boot tap in the app. No alarm
6) Charging (type2), car locked. Boot tap in the app. No alarm.

I hope this is useful? Happy to try another build.

Ive only had the car alarm go off twice.

Both times, was several hours after I poll'ed the car. It just randomly triggered the alarm.

I haven't been able to replicate it yet. But I will keep trying.
I had problems with 6)

If its the same build I have not charging/car locked(off) won't actually start polling as 12v is below 12.9v

Interestingly I managed to poll just now when charging without setting the alarm off, I actually thought at first polling hadn't started, normally when I poll when charging starts it sets off the alarm. Difference here is it's been charging for a while.

Have you tried different scenarios like turning polls on after charging has commenced and locked, turning polls on when charging and unlocked and then locking, or starting charging when locked with polling on?

Starting polling when locked and DC fast charging yesterday set the alarm off.

I managed to poll on an A/C charger a couple days back without setting the alarm off even though the car was locked

Sorry I'm super late to get started with this, just plugging in the kit now and setting it up. I'll have to read the thread properly again and write down then do the tests you've mentioned...

Have you tried different scenarios like turning polls on after charging has commenced and locked, turning polls on when charging and unlocked and then locking, or starting charging when locked with polling on?
Do you have a new build I can try?

The current version, when it's just started charging and locked. I try polling and it triggers an alarm.

Also, when it's charging and locked. It randomly triggers an alarm after x period of time. (around 30 mins or so).

I think I’m missing something in the set up. I’ve got the web interface kind of running, and the new firmware on there, but none of the web screens are telling me anything- but it looks like people have connected it to an app or something?
I’ve mostly just been guessing what to do, is there a guide somewhere?

I think I’m missing something in the set up. I’ve got the web interface kind of running, and the new firmware on there, but none of the web screens are telling me anything- but it looks like people have connected it to an app or something?
I’ve mostly just been guessing what to do, is there a guide somewhere?
Do you have the app? Download it on your phone and log in to it. Set up the car.

If you have a data SIM card or hologram setup. Then just use the phone app to access ovms.

If not, then you can use the laptop. Make sure the car is turned on, and then connect to the ovms WiFi on your laptop. And you can poll the car and you should see events.

I’ve got the app, but frankly ‘set up the car’ is not as easy as it seems.

Ive tried adding the car but its just asking me for a server and module password- which server? which password? How does it know what it’s connecting to? Should I be on the ovms wifi while using the app? It’s just not making any sense!
IMG_2364.png

I’ve got the app, but frankly ‘set up the car’ is not as easy as it seems.

Ive tried adding the car but its just asking me for a server and module password- which server? which password? How does it know what it’s connecting to? Should I be on the ovms wifi while using the app? It’s just not making any sense!View attachment 17688
Ah, I would recommend watching this video:

It helped me a lot, getting started with OVMS.

I think you're not far off from a working system. Let me know if you still have issues after watching the video.

Use a password manager to store the passwords, there are 3 of them (annoyingly). Don't give up :)

Do you have a new build I can try?

The current version, when it's just started charging and locked. I try polling and it triggers an alarm.

Also, when it's charging and locked. It randomly triggers an alarm after x period of time. (around 30 mins or so).
This sounds like the problem we have had with the MG5 from the start. So far we have been unable to resolve the issue. Are you using the version I posted on Slack on 13th May?

This sounds like the problem we have had with the MG5 from the start. So far we have been unable to resolve the issue. Are you using the version I posted on Slack on 13th May?
Ah no, I think I was on an earlier build. I've got the version from slack on 13th May now. I'll test it and share my results.
Apologies I wasn't signed in to slack, so missed the conversations there!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom