OVMS (Again)

Although it's been a while I do recall the keep awake thing being mentioned (tester present pin on obd2 port maybe?). The reason not to use it was it kept the car awake and the power draw could drain the 12v. Since that wouldn't be a problem on a charger you might find a way to make use of it. Otherwise you could set it to record the can messages to micro sd during a charge session then see if it already transmits the % during charges so that the ovms could listen without polling.
I think it’s sending the tester present message that’s setting off the alarm but we need to do some testing to be sure.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but once the kinks are ironed out, do you think this will be able to do stuff like turn on the heating or ac remotely? Or start and stop charges remotely? Or is it more monitoring than control?

From one of the conversations I had with @GreyPeter I believe the control commands are encrypted.

Also every attempt we have made thus far to poll when the car is locked sets of the alarm, I'm starting to think it's not possible to get data from the car when it's locked.

Edit:

I think I'm getting a test build that requires manual intervention to start polling as at the moment that's the only thing I can think of doing that won't set the alarm of every time I do a scheduled charge.

Last edited:
Interesting, hobbles the platform a little, but at least it would allow you to get better metrics off the car when it's unlocked. Maybe even do things like have it automatically start in Eco mode - which is something that bugged me for a long time.

So at the moment OVMS is able to poll various things and get data from the car but we've not been able to get it to do so when the car is locked/charging without setting off the alarm.
On the build I'm testing at the moment @GreyPeter has made it so polling start is manual (He's managed to rig it to the wake car button in the app so you don't have to manually type the command each time).

Essentially the car needs to be on or charging (12v above 12.9v) and then I can manually start the polling.

I think he's going to do a new build that polls more metrics (we disabled that when trying to figure out if we could stop the alarm going off).

I'd need to double check with him but if anyone else has OVMS and wants the build it's probably ok to give it out.

Yes, I would be happy to hear from anybody willing to test my build but they will require an MG5 with OVMS installed. I am extreamly intersted to know if all models set off the alarm when charging and locked and polling is started. Please PM me if interested in helping.

Yes, I would be happy to hear from anybody willing to test my build but they will require an MG5 with OVMS installed. I am extreamly intersted to know if all models set off the alarm when charging and locked and polling is started. Please PM me if interested in helping.
Hi Peter, I've got a 22 plate MG5 LR (pre-facelift). I've been wanting to get more info from the car. Happy to help test. I'll order an OVMS kit.

Hi Peter, I'm in the same position - I'm keen to have more information, and maybe even more control one day. I'll order a kit too - do we need any of the special wires or just the generic kit here:

Hi Peter, I'm in the same position - I'm keen to have more information, and maybe even more control one day. I'll order a kit too - do we need any of the special wires or just the generic kit here:
The Generic OBD2 cable will work, I used an RWGmobile data sim (It's one of the 100MB/ 96p mo ones) in the modem rather than included one, although I had a load of trouble with the EE one only connecting on LTE and not reconnecting if it dropped.
I seem to be getting on a lot better with one of their Vodafone based ones.

If I keep the thing I'll probably put it on a yearly plan or change it for a multi-net sim.

As for the Module itself I took the side panel off the center console and put it in the void behind for now, used some sticky pads top stop it bouncing around.

I do need to move the antenna at somepoint as it's just shoved down the side between the plastic trim and the center console.

Also no idea if control will ever be possible, getting the SOC is definitely possible, and in some builds it was showing TPMS data and a few other things.

I don't think the per cell data is correct yet but it looks like it can pull it as it was showing something previously.

Do NOT run the release build on the ZS ev profile it will cause the dashboard to shutdown! (Or at least it did on my car)

Last edited:
I have a new build ready for testing. As we have had problems with the alarm going off when the MG5 is locked and charging, the MG5 variant starts up with the polls turned off. Polls can be turned on with the polls on command in the shell or via a message in the app. You can also turn on polls by pressing the boot of the car in the app and pressing wakeup. Polls will only start when the car is in ready or charging. When the car is turned off again or charging is turned off, the polls will stop again. Polls can be manually stopped with the polls off command. If it is found that there are vehicles where the alarm does not go off when locked and charging, I will create a new build that will start polls automatically. Thanks to dragon2611 it can be downloaded from here: https://media.dragon2611.net/ovms/ovms3_mg5_and_mk2_test.bin

I think I got ABRP telemetry working but I need to drive somewhere to test it (It sent it ok when I Manually triggered it)

Use

Rather than the one on the OVMS docs page as this version is newer and doesn't send quite as much data. (I believe it doesn't send if the data isn't changing unlike the old version, it also uses https where the old version doesn't, it will still however consume data so bear that in mind depending on what SIM you have in the modem.)

The TLS cert for the API has changed you need the one mentioned here New SSL cert · Issue #9 · iternio/ovms-link - It's under Subordinate CA's on the google site.

If you Google for a hologram.io voucher code, that is the SIM that comes with it, there used to be a code that gave you oodles of credit via another IOT device supplier.

If you need a sim the rwgmobile wales Vodafone data sims work the 100MB one is 96p/mo or £5/yr.

Their EE one would only connect on lte and wouldn’t reconnect if it lost signal in my modem.

You should connect the cellular antenna even if not using the modem.

Whether you can activate it and get it to work inside OVMS is a different thing. Many of us struggled doing so in search of a cheaper deal. The better recommendation is to ensure your car has Wi-Fi coverage at home when parked and so isn’t using it.

Whether you can activate it and get it to work inside OVMS is a different thing. Many of us struggled doing so in search of a cheaper deal. The better recommendation is to ensure your car has Wi-Fi coverage at home when parked and so isn’t using it.

The RWG/Vodafone one has been working so far with my OVMS module, their EE one had problems as mentioned above.

I may try a KPN roaming sim at some-point but it means retreiving my OVMS module from the car to go change the sim (again).

The RWG/Vodafone one has been working so far with my OVMS module, their EE one had problems as mentioned above.

I may try a KPN roaming sim at some-point but it means retreiving my OVMS module from the car to go change the sim (again).
Where's the best place to put the ovms module in the car?

Where's the best place to put the ovms module in the car?
I stuck mine on top of one of the control modules inside the center console, it doesn't seem to be causing any problems there but as to if it's a good idea to put it there or not I'll leave it for others to judge.

There's a clip near the OBD port you need to pop out (It's a pushpin type) and then the panel comes off.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom