• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

OVMS support is coming

Hi Mike, looking at the OVMS and from the website it looks like the unit goes to sleep when the car is locked unless you make some changes, but when charging either by AC or DC does this automatically keep alive, can you confirm?

guys bought OVMS had it powered up and on car selection ...no MG ZS EV.. any proper directions from MG OVMS users? @Mike?

Last edited:
guys bought OVMS had it powered up and on car selection ...no MG ZS EV.. any proper directions from MG OVMS users? @Mike?
Either use the edge version, or get hold of Michael Abbott’s beta version on

Plus join the slack group. I can’t remember how!

Hi. Waiting for my OBD connector from Amazon to try out the ZS EV app. Was interested to note that, apparently, the OBD connector has access to the ZS EV battery state of charge SoC. If so, I wonder why, then, the ZS EV doesn't bother to tell my OHME charger what the state of charge is. At present I have to brave the cold to check how many miles the car thinks it has in the battery pack and then schedule a charge accordingly. This really grinds my gears.

Is the OBD connector powered up though the car is switched off and the doors locked? Else it seems to me perhaps I could put a Home Assistant ESPhome ESP32 node in the garage to monitor the SoC remotely. Even if the OBD connector was powered down at night, perhaps an ESPhome node could capture an OBD connector last gasp message that included the SoC before I parked-up.

It seems to me that MG threw too many bits of the ZS EV baby out with the bathwater when they reconfigured the software for its sale in the UK.

Any thoughts?

peter

Hi. Dug out an OBD connector thing I'd used on my, now retired, Mazda 3 Sport and installed the V1.2 software on my xiaomi pocophone.

I was surprised to find that the connector is powered up whether or not the car is powered up. Explains why I flattened the Mazda battery having left it in for a while unattended.

My phone connected to the OBDC straight away which was encouraging - perhaps not so as I'd used the same paring with the Mazda. However when tries to connect to the vehicle is gets to 30 or 36% then bombs - sigh.

I'll wait a bit until peeps can recommend one. Looking forward to it.

Peter

Hi. Dug out an OBD connector thing I'd used on my, now retired, Mazda 3 Sport and installed the V1.2 software on my xiaomi pocophone.

I was surprised to find that the connector is powered up whether or not the car is powered up. Explains why I flattened the Mazda battery having left it in for a while unattended.

My phone connected to the OBDC straight away which was encouraging - perhaps not so as I'd used the same paring with the Mazda. However when tries to connect to the vehicle is gets to 30 or 36% then bombs - sigh.

I'll wait a bit until peeps can recommend one. Looking forward to it.

Peter
My cheap 10 year old OBD2 bluetooth dongle kept dropping connection initially, it didn't feel secure in the socket. After I gave it a firm push up it worked ok, probably the pins were a bit oxidised.

My cheap 10 year old OBD2 bluetooth dongle kept dropping connection initially, it didn't feel secure in the socket. After I gave it a firm push up it worked ok, probably the pins were a bit oxidised.
Was it perhaps exacerbated by the OBD2 socket being loose in the bracket in the car? Mine is very loose, and the OBD2 device I'm using at present is very tight, and comes apart a little, getting intermittent.

Fiddling with the socket, I found that it does come out if you press the tabs at the side. I'm not sure that this is a good idea; I could not easily get it back at night. I'll have another go later.

OBD2 socket side tabs 2.jpg

Another look at the tabs:

OBD2 socket side tabs side.jpg

It turns out that only 5 pins are connected to wires. It looks like pins 16 red: +12 always on; 4&5: black chassis; 14 green with ? stripe (may not be striped), CANL, 6 blue with red stripe CANH:

OBD2 socket 5 wires.jpg

This is the bracket that the socket should clip into:

OBD2 socket bracket.jpg

I'm thinking of using one of the Ebay splitter cables below to stash away the Bluetooth device and/or OVMS (if I decide I can justify the expense), protect the car's loom and original socket, and provide a new OBD2 socket that might be easier to install firmly. Comments welcome.

Ebay OBD2 splitter cable w bracket.jpg

Ebay OBD2 splitter cable w flanges.jpg

For Australian readers interested in the above, the Ebay seller for these is powboro (and no doubt many others, but this seller seems to have a good selection).

Last edited:
Mike,

I have installed OVMS but cant get any readings from the car.
ovms-png.3372

Attachments

• OVMS.PNG
    OVMS.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 220
Mike,

I have installed OVMS but cant get any readings from the car.
ovms-png.3372
I am wondering if it is not seating fully in the OBD2 port, I have pushed it firmly in but the port itself seems loose in its housing but it is very difficult to see. Did you have any problems getting it connected into the MG? Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

The OBD2 socket in my ZS EV is shockingly loose. It just clicks into a metal frame. You should be able to hold the back of the socket when plugging in the OBD2 plug for OVMS or for a Bluetooth dongle. That should allow you to use enough force to get a connection that you can be confident of.

The OBD2 socket in my ZS EV is shockingly loose. It just clicks into a metal frame. You should be able to hold the back of the socket when plugging in the OBD2 plug for OVMS or for a Bluetooth dongle. That should allow you to use enough force to get a connection that you can be confident of.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have done this a few times but still no data. The OVMS module is receiving power from the port ok but I am not getting any data.

Hi what i
Hi All,

Not sure if you have seen this elsewhere, but the guys working on the MG ZS EV and OVMS have made some good progress.

At the moment we can only read stuff and not send any commands yet.

The Android app is up and running with MG ZS EV graphics, but the iOS app is being updated, but still displays SoC etc.

to use the app you need to buy the OVMS hardware from their website (Google it!) it costs around £200.

I’m using the iOS app.

View attachment 608

View attachment 609
Hi what is this for? Thanks

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom