OVO Drive Anytime 5p KWh

muppet77

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Don’t know if people are aware but OVO Drive anytime can be subscribed to and it offers you 5p per KWh anytime.

Obviously the trade off is the slight price increase in the standard rate but I crunched the numbers and it worked out cheaper for me.

I wanted to get a fixed rate for a year, so I compared locking in with current supplier SSE and OVO Drive Anytime. The latter was much cheaper for gas and electricity.

You sign up for “Drive” tariff then add on “Anytime” when you’ve switched.

It’s also from 100% renewable resources, so that’s a large part of it for me too.

Hope it helps someone.

OVO EV tariffs

Seems to be a dual fuel only tariff.
Why does an EV tariff requires you to have gas?

So they make more money?
I cannot see how this idea is in their interests?

Except getting people to accept the suppliers being able (through smart meterage & compatible smart chargers) to identify when & for how long an EV was charged... which does sound like a prelude to EV taxation... If not what?

Who is picking up the tab for all those heavily discounted 5p units ? & Why?

Or is there rather more devil in the details on this? 🤔

I’m pretty sure OVO is the new umbrella / owner of SSE so all SSE tariffs will eventually move to OVO.

I cannot see how this idea is in their interests?

Except getting people to accept the suppliers being able (through smart meterage & compatible smart chargers) to identify when & for how long an EV was charged... which does sound like a prelude to EV taxation... If not what?

Who is picking up the tab for all those heavily discounted 5p units ? & Why?

Or is there rather more devil in the details on this? 🤔

The plot thins...

It's a marketing loss leader - they lose on your EV usage but gain on everything else including Gas. Unlike Octopus Go you cannot shift other consumption to the cheap rate.

Although Drive Anytime is for … anytime use for the EV - peak and off peak.
That's the suspiciously illogical bit.

The BBC article confirms national grid aka gov.uk run trials with elec suppliers to tweak customer behaviour.

I reckon they're trialling seperating out EV charging from other consumptions, but why?

It's a marketing loss leader - they lose on your EV usage but gain on everything else including Gas. Unlike Octopus Go you cannot shift other consumption to the cheap rate.
Agreed but looking holistically I found it to be cheaper than the comparisons I did (eg SSE).
That's the suspiciously illogical bit.

The BBC article confirms national grid aka gov.uk run trials with elec suppliers to tweak customer behaviour.

I reckon they're trialling seperating out EV charging from other consumptions, but why?
I guess it’s to pull as many new customers as possible and then the offer will expire. Interesting they are linked to SSE.

Agreed but looking holistically I found it to be cheaper than the comparisons I did (eg SSE).

I guess it’s to pull as many new customers as possible and then the offer will expire. Interesting they are linked to SSE.
My guess is it's to see if the tech & billing works on a decent sample size of customers, refine as necessary, then they've got it in the bag for "ze grand plan"

They'll quickly learn that the customers who bother to switch to this type of deal will equally quickly switch away when the incentive reduces. Making EV chargers able to work away from central servers by communicating via home networks allows consumers to disconnect  IF the Government attempts to tax electricity for EVs. And whilst it is technically possible to detect usage from a device such as a meter it'll never be successfully rolled out - the shambles that is "smart metering" started under New Labour and further messed up by the Coalition (inc Liberal Ministers) and of course the Tories, demonstrates that.

They'll quickly learn that the customers who bother to switch to this type of deal will equally quickly switch away when the incentive reduces.

Well yes, but that's not why they are doing it is it? The incentive is to get them to join & be the guinea pigs/beta testers for the "grand plan" 'techy jigsaw piece' bit...

Well yes, but that's not why they are doing it is it? The incentive is to get them to join & be the guinea pigs/beta testers for the "grand plan" 'techy jigsaw piece' bit...
Octopus customers have been doing that for 5+ years ;) .

The real issue is whether OVO or SSE have the ability to make this inelegant "solution" work? My money is that it'll be a crock of shite and set the whole concept back years. :eek:

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom