Paint peeling off bumper

I've recently spotted paint peeling off the front bumper. One patch near the headlight is pretty obvious, the other is a little more subtle and linear in nature. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this? I'd welcome opinions as to the likely best remedy to ask for ie would a dealer be able to touch up to completely repair?
PXL_20230802_092122871~2.jpg
PXL_20230802_092254513~3.jpg
Many thanks

Have you been to a jet wash recently? could be they say that could have damaged it with the pressure

Has to be a warranty issue
Hope you have a good dealer, some of them will probably say it's accident damage to get out of repairing it

I've had the car since New Year's Eve - I've literally washed it once since. Ironically it got washed (jet washed?) at the dealer a couple of weeks ago when it was in for software updates and sensor recalibration following windscreen replacement. Perhaps the dealer washer did it? Either way, washing a car shouldn't damage it...

I'm sure it was @Macadoodle who described the paint as being soft, add that to no primer and I'd imagine it could be pretty fragile

I've had the car since New Year's Eve - I've literally washed it once since. Ironically it got washed (jet washed?) at the dealer a couple of weeks ago when it was in for software updates and sensor recalibration following windscreen replacement. Perhaps the dealer washer did it? Either way, washing a car shouldn't damage it...
Then that's your answer if they try to blame a car wash. They're the ones who washed it!

Last edited:
Looking at your pictures, especially the one with the large amount of paint missing, it looks like there may be two small 'nicks' close to the black plastic. Is that so ?
If so the peeling may have been initiated by that damage which the dealer will pick up on.
However, more of a concern is the apparent lack of undercoat as mentioned. So in effect if the paint is missing undercoat, the minor damage would not have caused that peeling if it was present, so warranty on the paint should apply.
This maybe raises a concern, others have mentioned 'soft paint', has MG applied an undercoat to the car as a whole, or just parts, or at all? specified anywhere ?

What are all those white flecks ?
Are they stone chips ?
I don't think MG will cover it if the flaking paint was initiated by a stone chip.

It looks very wrong to me, on a new car. Even if this has been initiated by a small trauma, for paint to peel off over a wide area like that is all sorts of wrong. And no apparent primer? Worrying.

What are all those white flecks ?
Are they stone chips ?
I don't think MG will cover it if the flaking paint was initiated by a stone chip.
I agree there may be some dealers who could go down that route.

As has been said the paint is apparently very soft and prone to chipping easily, add to that what clearly looks like no primer there and I genuinely worry about the longevity of the paintwork.

Surely the harder the paint the more liberal it could be to chipping rather than when it was soft, as we all agree lack of primer base coat seems to be the ‘key’ issues!
Please let us know how it goes with the dealer, as if they haven’t primed one they haven’t primed ANY!

Gutted for you. Mine gets cleaned twice a week 2 bucket method and yes the paint is very soft .So far i have found one small stone chip on the bumper but nothing like this and never seen that on any car.

I just hope this is a one-off, or something that only affects a few cars, rather than a universal problem.
It will be a big unknown, the only way of checking if it has a primer coat, could be to remove the bumper and check or when a chip occurs.

I think the soft paint is just a given now and it means it is prone to chipping easy

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back