Parking brake not releasing quick enough

It works for me, whatever others do is up to them.

A related question though for everyone - if using auto hold, as I understand it from this thread, this applies the brakes (excluding the handbrake) whilst the car is in D. Are there any concerns about effectively having it in D - i.e. the car is wanting to move forward and stopping this with the breaks? I too have driven auto recently, and based on a mechanic friend's advice from many years ago, never repeated this whilst stopped.

Also, whilst out yesterday, I tried messing with MG Pilot in traffic, something I've been wary of doing as it seems to approach very closely to the car in front before stopping. I found that hen moving again on an upward incline, the car will roll backwards without driver intervention!
When using MG Pilot in traffic and I'm on an incline, usually the car rolls back a foot or two when the ACC stops the car. It's very disconcerting and I always end up hastily using the brake.

All power to the motor is cut when the foot brake is operated, Auto hold uses the foot brakes, so there's no drag. You can see this if you select the energy flow interface using the up/down buttons on the right hand side of the steering wheel.

. Are there any concerns about effectively having it in D - i.e. the car is wanting to move forward and stopping this with the breaks?
I’m not sure it ‘wants’ to move forward as there is no ICE idling away. I assume it just crawls forward when you let off the brake to emulate what an ICE auto would do, as that’s what drivers expect to happen.

I find the hill start feature very good. It's remembering to turn it off that's the problem! Later on I think "why is pulling away from stop feeling so odd?".

I find the hill start feature very good. It's remembering to turn it off that's the problem! Later on I think "why is pulling away from stop feeling so odd?".
I wasn't aware you could turn Hill Start off 🤔

Mixing up Hill start and Auto Park.

Hill start is just what it does (default) if Auto Park is not switched on.

Maybe I have been misled by the MG sales rep on handover! He said, if you are stopped on a hill and want to do a hill start, press the right hand button next to the parking brake button. This will then stop you rolling back as you start to move forward. This does seem to work. However, a side effect is that it engages auto park which I do not normally use.

I drive my ZS EV just the same as did all my many previous automatic cars....with the throttle and brake and hardly ever feel the need to use any other 'aids'.....(i'd get confused and doubtless leave it switched on if I did ):oops:

Maybe I have been misled by the MG sales rep on handover! He said, if you are stopped on a hill and want to do a hill start, press the right hand button next to the parking brake button. This will then stop you rolling back as you start to move forward. This does seem to work. However, a side effect is that it engages auto park which I do not normally use.
Yes I think you were misled by the rep who probably didn't understand. lots don't seem to.

The right hand button next to the parking brake is even labelled Auto (park). Once switched on it stays on until you turn it off. When you come to a rest after braking it will apply the brakes regardless of whether you are on a hill or not. Using this is the same as leaving your foot on the footbrake without having to leave your foot on the footbrake, even the brake lights stay on.

With Auto off and in Drive, when on a hill, hold the car at a standstill using the footbrake. You can then take you foot off the brake the car will hold for a short while before rolling back giving time to press the go pedal. It's like magic :D

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom