Parking MG ZS EV on a incline for 5 weeks

DUKW

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I’m picking up my new MG ZS EV on the first of March, but then I’m going to be away for 5 weeks from the second of March, my driveway is a bit steep two things I’m worried a bit about the car battery going flat and the electric handbrake failing any recommendations would help.

I think it's fail safe so voltage is needed to take the parking brake off rather than put it on.

It will be fine the 12v battery is used to apply and disengage but is locked in position tool next command also your drive train is locked as your in park if you're still worried buy some wedges\wheel chocks
Belt and braces for peace of mind sometimes worth it

Cheers for your replies I think I’ll get a couple of chocks just for peace of mind.

Thanks for that info I’ll tell the dealer not to fully charge it or I’ll be driving around trying to use up the battery,

It will be fine the 12v battery is used to apply and disengage but is locked in position tool next command also your drive train is locked as your in park if you're still worried buy some wedges\wheel chocks
Belt and braces for peace of mind sometimes worth it
I didn't think the ZS had a parking pawl to lock the drivetrain, just the parking brake on the rear wheels. :unsure:

I didn't think the ZS had a parking pawl to lock the drivetrain, just the parking brake on the rear wheels. :unsure:
I believe that is correct 👍.
Car is only held by the rear brakes only !.
There is a brake actuator motor attached to each rear brake calliper.
When the hand brake is commanded ON the small electric motor(s) turns a threaded actuating screw inside of the calliper that then in turn, applies pressure to the back of the brake pad, then the friction material of the pad contacts with steel brake disc.
Handbrake OFF just reverses the motor(s) to gain a clearance between the brake fiction pad and the steel disc / rotor.
I discovered this when the O/S/R wheel decided NOT to release one morning on our ZS EV Gen1.
The guy from the AA removed the electric motor and handed it to me !.
Splines on the motor has stripped out.
He manually released the brake calliper and off it went to the local dealership.
They had the car for almost a month awaiting the arrival of a new electric motor and a complete new calliper assembly.

Last edited:
It’s a question of space the dealership car park is crammed with cars, not keen on other people moving it to get other car out.

My drive is on an incline and I have had no problems at all. Enjoy the car. This forum is very good for learning a lot about MG's but not all the MG's have faults and yes the infotainment has some quirks now and again but driving the car has been great especially pre heating the car before departing and watching others scrapping the ice away lol.

My drive is on an incline and I have had no problems at all. Enjoy the car. This forum is very good for learning a lot about MG's but not all the MG's have faults and yes the infotainment has some quirks now and again but driving the car has been great especially pre heating the car before departing and watching others scrapping the ice away lol.
Your turn will come 👍🏻😁

I've had my ZS EV for a week and I'm in heaven. It's beautiful. I don't use the auto-handbrake at all for driving, because it affects my takeoff, and I don't like the feel of it. But as soon as I park it and turn it off, the brake engages, and there is no power loss overnight.

I've had my ZS EV for a week and I'm in heaven. It's beautiful. I don't use the auto-handbrake at all for driving, because it affects my takeoff, and I don't like the feel of it. But as soon as I park it and turn it off, the brake engages, and there is no power loss overnight.
Cross your fingers for the other 34 mornings 👍🏻

When you come back and move the car for the first time forward, I suggest that you use a touch of acceleration and then manually release the brake as you prepare to move off. Waiting for the brake to automatically release can be a bit rough at times - more so when reversing up a slope.

I don’t use the auto hold feature either.
It’s just what you get use to using after a while.
The electric handbrake automatically applies itself and locks both rear wheels, when the “P” button on the top of gear selector is pressed, or when the car is powered down.
Auto hold is useful to stop the car from creeping, when you are waiting in the traffic to move forward for town driving / traffic lights.
I tend to prefer to keep light foot pressure on the foot brake, then when the traffic moves slowly forward, lift of the foot brake and the car instantly creeps forward, with no grab as the handbrake releases.
If the wait is likely to be a long one, then just press the “P” button.
I don’t believe there is no right or wrong way here, it’s just what you are comfortable with using really ?.
I am unsure about the loss of any power loss over night that you speak about though ?.
Glad you are enjoying the car !.
I find EV driving to be very addictive and very cost effective myself.
We definitely cover more mileage in our EV that we would have covered in a fossil car.
Why ?.
One because I enjoy driving an EV and secondly, because we can afford to do so due to the low running costs.
We are very fortunate to be able to charge from home for 100% of our charging needs, which I do not take for granted and are very lucky to be able to do so.
We are on our second EV now, after going full electric after having a VW PHEV for four years in 2015.
That is when the EV fascination commenced.
We covered nearly 30,000 PHEV miles in the VW and then another 20,000 miles in the first ZS EV ( Gen1 ) now another 9,000 miles in our 11 month old ZS EV LR ( Gen2 ) todate.
The cost savings to cover that distance has been HUGE !.
Given the high costs of fossil fuel now, we could not afford to cover these journeys in a fossil car that’s for sure !.

I don’t use the auto hold feature either.
It’s just what you get use to using after a while.
The electric handbrake automatically applies itself and locks both rear wheels, when the “P” button on the top of gear selector is pressed,

Not really "automatic" is it?
or when the car is powered down.
Auto hold is useful to stop the car from creeping, when you are waiting in the traffic to move forward for town driving / traffic lights.
I tend to prefer to keep light foot pressure on the foot brake, then when the traffic moves slowly forward, lift of the foot brake and the car instantly creeps forward, with no grab as the handbrake releases.
Auto hold doesn't use the handbrake 👍🏻 there is no "grab".
Agreed.

I don’t believe there is no right or wrong way here, it’s just what you are comfortable with using really ?.
Agreed, but a little research & experimentation into the cars features is sometimes worthwhile 👍🏻😁 (I use autohold all the time).

In traffic I apply auto hold, but release it just before moving off, after first pressing the brake pedal - when you take your foot off the brake auto hold has released and you creep forward.
If you just keep your foot on the brake, the motor is straining against the brakes, which must add up to a bit of power in a long hold up. I did the same in my Zoe only using the hand brake, which cuts off power to the motor.

I'm new to the car, so still finding my way round the various systems!

In traffic I apply auto hold, but release it just before moving off, after first pressing the brake pedal - when you take your foot off the brake auto hold has released and you creep forward.

Sounds like you're doing your own homemade version of autohold?

Come to a stop; press hard enough on the brake pedal green "(P)" light appears on dash - autohold is on.
Put your foot anywhere but the accelerator until you want to move again - touch accelerator, auto hold is disengaged (green (P) gone) & creep restored (unless you give it gas or brake to stop again). Give it a try I think it's good 👍🏻
If you just keep your foot on the brake, the motor is straining against the brakes, which must add up to a bit of power in a long hold up.

You can watch the power being used on a dash info screen. I don't think it's daft enough to be straining against its own brakes though? But 🤷🏻‍♂️
I did the same in my Zoe only using the hand brake, which cuts off power to the motor.

I'm new to the car, so still finding my way round the various systems!
👍🏻👍🏻

Left my ev for 5 weeks on the drive which has a slop.Winter 2022.
had no problems and hardly any loss in battery charge.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom