Passenger door not working

luketeacup

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
At our wits end trying to get Richmond Motors Group to sort this out; front passenger door doesn’t open from the inside. When they did first looked at it (and failed to fix it) one of the mechanics muttered darkly about a potential product recall, has anyone else heard this?
On top of this, the app has kicked us out and no longer recognises the email account.
Starting to think buying this car has been a big mistake…

Use the search function, I've seen a few threads about a faulty batch of door locks. It is a warranty recall. :)

Are you driving the Gen1 or Gen2 ( facelift ) model of the ZS EV ?.
There was a fairly recent bad run of ZS EV’s reporting faulty door lock mechanism’s.
Some affected with the front passengers door and some owners with the rear doors also.
A relative had the front & rear passenger’s door locked replaced, as both doors would not open from the inside from day one !.
His model is a 2023 ZS EV Trophy face lift.
I have the same 2022 model and the locks have been fine (y).
Wait times on MG parts are truly woeful TBH.
Any back order items have to come from China !.

There was a fairly recent bad run of ZS EV’s reporting faulty door lock mechanism’s.
Some affected with the front passengers door and some owners with the rear doors also.
A relative had the front & rear passenger’s door locked replaced, as both doors would not open from the inside from day one !.
Hi, yes we have the ZS EV Trophy uplift. Richmond Motor Group currently telling us that the earliest they can look at it again is the 24th of January (they failed to fix it first time round). I've told them this is unacceptable, so am preparing to go to war on Trustpilot, Google Reviews etc. Really wish we'd never bought the car, the ismart app is diabolical and doesn't work either (refusing to recognise us now and won't bind, despite this working previously...)

Hi, yes we have the ZS EV Trophy uplift. Richmond Motor Group currently telling us that the earliest they can look at it again is the 24th of January (they failed to fix it first time round). I've told them this is unacceptable, so am preparing to go to war on Trustpilot, Google Reviews etc. Really wish we'd never bought the car, the ismart app is diabolical and doesn't work either (refusing to recognise us now and won't bind, despite this working previously...)
At the first appointment, did they diagnose a faulty locking mechanism, have they ordered you a replacement part yet ???.
If not, you may find it will need ordering on the second appointment, then you have another wait for the part to arrive.
Then another appointment to install the new part when it arrives.
Main dealers dealers need authority from MG CS before they can order any parts.
Back order items from China can mean a wait unfortunately.

they believed they'd fixed it first time round, can't tell you exactly how as that wasn't explained to us, but when we got it home it still wasn't working. Dealer just spoke with me; I'm dropping the car back tomorrow morning and they're going to lend me a loan car in the meantime (I've asked for an electric, as I don't want to be paying £400 a mth plus petrol on top); he reckons they should be able to look at it before the 24th, but that's not guaranteed; I've also asked if a part has been ordered, but again, that's not clear. I guess I'll get more clarity when I go in tomorrow, but I've also emailed the central team and asked for a full refund. Of course given this has all taken so long to sort out due to the dealer's lack of urgency, we're now outside of the 30 day window, so doubt that will happen....

they believed they'd fixed it first time round, can't tell you exactly how as that wasn't explained to us, but when we got it home it still wasn't working. Dealer just spoke with me; I'm dropping the car back tomorrow morning and they're going to lend me a loan car in the meantime (I've asked for an electric, as I don't want to be paying £400 a mth plus petrol on top); he reckons they should be able to look at it before the 24th, but that's not guaranteed; I've also asked if a part has been ordered, but again, that's not clear. I guess I'll get more clarity when I go in tomorrow, but I've also emailed the central team and asked for a full refund. Of course given this has all taken so long to sort out due to the dealer's lack of urgency, we're now outside of the 30 day window, so doubt that will happen....
A close relative had the same problem with his Trophy LR on collection day.
They were unable to open the front passengers side door from the inside.
A complete new locking mechanism was ordered and it was installed about 10 days later.
The fix was done while he waited.
There is the part number they ordered, just for your reference.

IMG_2261.jpeg

When I got my ZS EV gen 2 trophy in March 2023 front passangers doors failed to open from inside intermittently.

Lock mechanism was due for replacement under warranty in June (long wait for part).
By this time the fault stopped appearing.
Possibly due to warmer weather...
Got it done anyway. In case it fails again in winter...

If door does not open first time, keep pulling door handle in quick succession. Ours always did open eventually.
Annoying, but will get you by till replacement part arrives.

I have ZS TC LR 23 reg. I could not open passenger door from inside. My dealer asked me to book a time for checkout but I did not bother with the trouble. I found out door can be opened with quick double pulling. I will raise this with my dealer in 3 months when I go back for one year service.

Last edited:
Can't say I've ever had this problem on a gen 1 or now on a gen 2, however, FWIW:

Had my 22 ZS EV underatke its first 3k courtesy service & three software updates were installed, one of these apparently to do with 'door lock':

CAMPAIGN CMGZSEVCCU - CCU CONTROL MODULE PROGRAMMING
CAMPAIGN CMGZSEVEVCC - EVCC SOFTWARE UPDATE
CAMPAIGN CMGZSEVDRLK - DOOR LOCK INSPECTION

Weve had the same problem with the front passenger door for @3 month on a '23 plate ZS LR.

BUT - I had to disconnect the battery for 15 mins this morning ( to reset the Sat Nav which locked on our home address and didn't move).

GUESS WHAT !

Since reconnecting the battery the SatNav is working fine again
AND
the front passenger door opens EVERY TIME we've tried it !!
At our wits end trying to get Richmond Motors Group to sort this out; front passenger door doesn’t open from the inside. When they did first looked at it (and failed to fix it) one of the mechanics muttered darkly about a potential product recall, has anyone else heard this?
On top of this, the app has kicked us out and no longer recognises the email account.

I had ASSUMED the passenger door handle was connected mechanically to the locking mechanism BUT IF IT IS AN ELECTRICAL SWITCH then all is explained.

Naturally my dealership are still waiting for a new lock mechanism, and have no idea how the door lock/ handle etc functions.

See my Post today

A close relative had the same problem with his Trophy LR on collection day.
They were unable to open the front passengers side door from the inside.
A complete new locking mechanism was ordered and it was installed about 10 days later.
The fix was done while he waited.
There is the part number they ordered, just for your reference.

View attachment 22460
See my Post today

I thought, indeed think, that the passenger door issue is an intentional feature. It prevents the door being opened when the car is "on" unless it is pulled twice in quick succession. I'm sure it is intentional because the door opens with one pull if the car is "off".
Of course that does not mean that a car can have a faulty door lock which does not work properly.

I had to have the passenger door lock replaced as it would only open from the outside, my car is less than a year old. No problem getting the dealer to replace it.

I had to have the passenger door lock replaced as it would only open from the outside, my car is less than a year old. No problem getting the dealer to replace it.
Batch of faulty door locks are the likely cause of this problem.
Some owners complain of issues with the N/S/F door not opening from the inside, while others have had the same problem on the rear door(s) also.
A relative had a non functioning internal lock on the front passengers door on collection day, then discovered that the N/S/R door would not open from the inside about two weeks later.
It was not the child safety lock, it was another faulty door lock.
Both were replaced under warranty and both problems have been resolved.
Of course, the wait time for a new lock was about 2/3 weeks for the rear door.

Both my front and rear curb side locks would not open from the inside….this is of course extremely dangerous. To be fair to my mg service garage they replaced both without question…and so should Richmond. Imagine if someone was involved in a serious accident and couldn’t get out of the car….im sure Richmond and Mg would soon take notice.

I thought, indeed think, that the passenger door issue is an intentional feature. It prevents the door being opened when the car is "on" unless it is pulled twice in quick succession. I'm sure it is intentional because the door opens with one pull if the car is "off".
Of course that does not mean that a car can have a faulty door lock which does not work properly.
I agree with Tim. I think it's a "safety feature" to prevent the door being opened while the car is "on". Pulling the handle twice overrides the feature - at least this is how we get it to work.

I agree with Tim. I think it's a "safety feature" to prevent the door being opened while the car is "on". Pulling the handle twice overrides the feature - at least this is how we get it to work.
I don't think so. The wife's never had a problem opening the door when I drop her off in town.

It is a safety feature - well it says it is in the manual. When the car is on and you drive off the doors lock. If you come to a halt with the car still on to open the passenger or rear doors you have to pull the handle twice.

It is a safety feature - well it says it is in the manual. When the car is on and you drive off the doors lock. If you come to a halt with the car still on to open the passenger or rear doors you have to pull the handle twice.
Or you can manually press the “unlock button” on the drivers door.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom