PristDean

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi
I am due to collect my car from the dealer tomorrow However I received an email today from my lovely sales person stating "I am emailing because we haven't received payment yet of £xxxx. I emailed back stating that amount is £500 above the invoiced and agreed amount, please check it, and that I will make payment tomorrow by direct transfer as I now have bank details after I asked you for them this week. This will be after I have inspected the car. To me that seems logical, don't pay for something I have not seen, but what are your experiences with payment for a new car ?

Last edited:
I paid for mine in advance in two payments as I have an on-line limit of £25000 per day. I used my surname and the cars registration number as the payment reference so there would be no doubt what the payments were for.

Was the £500 the amount of your deposit that they'd forgotten to take into account?

I paid for mine in advance in two payments as I have an on-line limit of £25000 per day. I used my surname and the cars registration number as the payment reference so there would be no doubt what the payments were for.

Was the £500 the amount of your deposit that they'd forgotten to take into account?
The invoice from them clearly shows the £500 deposit I have paid subtracted from the amount due and the total amount now due The deposit was taken by the same lovely sales person I dealt with on the day some four months ago.

The invoice from them clearly shows the £500 deposit I have paid subtracted from the amount due and the total amount now due The deposit was taken by the same lovely sales person I dealt with on the day some four months ago.
Hope everything goes smoothly tomorrow and you enjoy your drive home 😁

I paid by debit card when I picked the car up (after inspection of course).

Hi
I am due to collect my car from the dealer tomorrow However I received an email today from my lovely sales person stating "I am emailing because we haven't received payment yet of £xxxx. I emailed back stating that amount is £500 above the invoiced and agreed amount, please check it, and that I will make payment tomorrow by direct transfer as I now have bank details after I asked you for them this week. This will be after I have inspected the car. To me that seems logical, don't to pay for something I have not seen, but what are your experiences with payment for a new car ?

My dealer advised me that because theirs was a business account, it could take as much as four hours for the money to appear in their account. He told of a man who insisted on inspecting the car before triggering the bulk of the payment. The car was fine so he sent the money electronically, and it didn't show up and it didn't show up and he sat in their showroom all afternoon and eventually had to go home and come back the next day, by which time the money had cleared.

So you could plan for the possibility of two trips in the event that the money is slow to clear. I opted to send the money the previous afternoon so that I could drive away immediately but if I'd been concerned I could have arranged to inspect the car, OK the money, then take delivery the next day.

In fact I paid the balance of £5,000 by credit card in the showroom immediately before driving away, so they didn't get the full amount in advance. This was simply because the insurance company's cheque for my previous car hadn't yet arrived on my delivery date, and I was using the credit card to bridge the gap.

I paid £1000 deposit by debit card for a Trophy the dealer had in stock (the salesman almost forgot to take the deposit before I left the dealership until I reminded him). I paid £25,000 (bank limit) by online bank transfer the day before collection. I then paid (almost) the balance by credit card (for the protection and earn a little interest on the cash) on collection and phone the salesman the next day to pay £1000 by credit card that he had undercharged. :oops:

Honestly!

Great, thanks all. To solve this I am going in this afternoon to fully inspect the car, if happy I will then transfer the money and collect tomorrow. Job done I hope 🤞
I see you are Hampshire based, not sure where you are collecting from but check if the rear number plate has been attached by self tapping screws drilled through the tailgate rather than the actual mounting points

I paid £100 deposit then the remainder after checking the car in 3 payments as my bank had a £10k limit and before I'd finished my coffee they had the money. Stating 4 hours for a business account is cobblers - I do business banking (sometimes moving 7 figure sums) and it takes a few minutes at most - the reason is more likely they don't want/CBA to check the account.

I see you are Hampshire based, not sure where you are collecting from but check if the rear number plate has been attached by self tapping screws drilled through the tailgate rather than the actual mounting points
Thanks, i'm picking up from Waylands Newbury. Yes, that is something I checked with my lovely sales person (who knew nothing about any defects I mentioned) looking at me like I was crazy as I crawled all over and under the car o_O. Happy to say the plates are screw fixed, no lumps in the under-tray, no leaks from what I can see, paint looks good and seats look good too.
The only issue I faced was with my bank, despite me pre-warning them and send documentation etc. Still faced 500 questions and 'pending security' when I tried to pay. All sorted now though after a 'firm' phone call with some feedback.
Collecting tomorrow morning. I'll post a pic

I paid £100 deposit then the remainder after checking the car in 3 payments as my bank had a £10k limit and before I'd finished my coffee they had the money. Stating 4 hours for a business account is cobblers - I do business banking (sometimes moving 7 figure sums) and it takes a few minutes at most - the reason is more likely they don't want/CBA to check the account.

That may well be the case. The salesman was talking about their central office - it wasn't something they dealt with personally. Macklin Motors.

Thanks, i'm picking up from Waylands Newbury. Yes, that is something I checked with my lovely sales person (who knew nothing about any defects I mentioned) looking at me like I was crazy as I crawled all over and under the car o_O. Happy to say the plates are screw fixed, no lumps in the under-tray, no leaks from what I can see, paint looks good and seats look good too.
The only issue I faced was with my bank, despite me pre-warning them and send documentation etc. Still faced 500 questions and 'pending security' when I tried to pay. All sorted now though after a 'firm' phone call with some feedback.
Collecting tomorrow morning. I'll post a pic

I had a potential problem with Aviva, but they managed to hurry things up. I decided to buy the car on Easter Saturday, and by Easter Monday delivery had been agreed for that Thursday. I needed to get the money out of an Aviva investment bond, and Aviva were closed over the entire Bank Holiday weekend. I rang them first thing on the Tuesday morning and said what I wanted. Certainly madam, the money will be with you in three to four working days.

I gasped a bit and talked about the 23rd century, to be told it was all about security checks. However, when I explained, they managed to arrange for the money to be transferred before close of banking on the following day, the Wednesday. That allowed me to do the transfer to the dealer, excluding £5,000 which I paid on the spot on collection by credit card.

Looking forward to the pic.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 510 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel