• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Pedestrian warning sound

H4rrb

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi ,does anyone know how to switch on pedestrian warning sound on 71 plate mgzs ev.just bought one but pws not working.thought it was law to have one.

It's on by default so you can't actually switch it off.
It isn't that obvious from inside the car so it may be a good idea for someone to check it from outside noting that it only operates below a certain speed (15mph IIRC).

It's not easy to hear from inside. Drive near a wall with your windows open, you'll hear it.
FYI it only works below a certain speed, 19mph IIRC.

It isn't that obvious from inside the car so it may be a good idea for someone to check it from outside noting that it only operates below a certain speed (15mph IIRC).
I bet it wont be long before someone figures out how to turn it off through the OBD port and a coding app

I guess you could always remove one of the wires that is on the sounder to disable it ?.
It is likely to be behind the front bumper cover.
But I am not sure why you would want to do this really ?.
It’s a legal requirement that is present and working.
The sounds does not intrude into the cabin space either ?.

You can turn it off on - the on/off toggle is on the infotainment system.
I did find it once but it makes so little difference whether it is on or off that I just leave it on.
I cannot remember whether it re-sets every time you use the car, my distant memory tells me that it remains in the state you selected permanently.

Not getting any sound,so back to dealer for me.thought maybe on /off switch hidden in menu somewhere.

I did find it once but it makes so little difference whether it is on or off that I just leave it on.
I cannot remember whether it re-sets every time you use the car, my distant memory tells me that it remains in the state you selected permanently.
I am assuming we are talking original ZS EV.
I think where built before he law was changed to say that it could not be disabled anymore.

It re-sets to on every time you turn the car on.

And so it should really !.
It’s a safety feature that could save a serious injury for a person with hearing difficulties.
The ZS EV manoeuvring at low speeds sounds barely any different to my current petrol BMW, I hear road noise before I hear the actual car.

I don’t intend on turning it off or disabling it, but I bet there are people that want to.

The ZS EV manoeuvring at low speeds sounds barely any different to my current petrol BMW, I hear road noise before I hear the actual car.
Yeah - That is the whole point.
People who have issues with their hearing, possibly are still likely to hear the sound of an engine powered car approaching from behind.
But a silent EV is another matter.
That is why they have the sound emulator fitted.

I do not know about the new models, but my 2020 ZS the generated noise is definitely too low. Most people do not hear the car approaching behind them.

I do not know about the new models, but my 2020 ZS the generated noise is definitely too low. Most people do not hear the car approaching behind them.
I noticed it seems to get quieter as you slow right down as well.

(Written this bit before). As I have to traverse a pedestrian-only road every day, I have had to fit a warning sounder so that I can attract pedestrians attention. Using a relay based "and-gate", triggered from the two front indicators when flasher together, I use an electronic sounder which works pretty well. Thus to warn them I turn on the hazard flasher which activates the sounder.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom