Phantom charging incident

MattEdinburgh

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
We bought our MG5 LR just over a week ago and I’m loving it so far.

There was one strange incident though and I thought I’d check to see if anyone had experienced a similar problem.

My partner charged the car overnight, drive off to a meeting and parked as normal. When it was time to leave, the car thought it was plugged in and wouldn’t let him drive off.

It took about 15min (switching it on and off several times) before it sorted itself out.

If there’s a way of avoiding (or quickly resolving) this situation it would be great to know… just in case it happens again.

I have had that problem twice. Once at traffic lights (not charging at the time!), and once after a rapid charge on the M4. I find it can get its kni****s in a twist if switched off and back on too quickly. Think computer, switch off and wait for 10 seconds...In desperation disconnect the 12v battery for a few seconds, I have to say I have never done that...

Thanks for the reply. Glad it’s not just us who have experienced this problem. Hopefully it won’t be something that happens more than once.

I'm not sure whether it's the physical insertion of a plug that triggers this or whether it looks for completion of a pilot circuit after the plug is inserted. It would be simple enough to check - just plug in a Type 2 cable (disconnected at the other end) and see what happens.

Did you try pressing the unlock button on the remote? Thinking that might have triggered a reset.

Did you try pressing the unlock button on the remote? Thinking that might have triggered a reset.
He did try locking and unlocking the car and plugging in and unplugging the type 2 cable. None of that made an immediate difference. Eventually when he got back in and switched the car back on it was ok.

Maybe it's related to the hv battery cut off issue when charging, which also clears after leaving the car off for ten minutes.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom