PHEV - Key Fob not working after battery replacement

IKE

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I’ve just replaced the key fob battery but it’s not working. The battery (tested with my meter and is the correct voltage - i.e. not flat) is in the correct way round, there‘s been nothing damaged within the key, and the spare key works fine (so it’s not the car). If it needs re-pairing, does anyone know how to do that? The usual on-line searches suggest putting the key in the ignition, blah, blah blah, but, of course, the PHEV does not have an ignition key-slot.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Yes, as per the manual (p 136): after inserting new battery and refitting the cover, “Set the vehicle power system to READY to resynchronise the key with the vehicle.”
Tried that - no joy.
Then thought perhaps change the battery whilst in the car (perhaps it needs to reset when it all clicks together inside the car), with the power system to READY. Of course, with the main key not working, you have to use the other key to get in, start up, and wait for READY. But now you have both keys in the car, but the “new one” hasn’t synch’d. There is no beep, or on-screen message to let me know that it’s done anything. So, I’m asking if anyone has actually performed the re-synching, and let me know how they did it.
Thanks

I’ve just replaced the key fob battery but it’s not working. The battery (tested with my meter and is the correct voltage - i.e. not flat) is in the correct way round, there‘s been nothing damaged within the key, and the spare key works fine (so it’s not the car). If it needs re-pairing, does anyone know how to do that? The usual on-line searches suggest putting the key in the ignition, blah, blah blah, but, of course, the PHEV does not have an ignition key-slot.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Here is a very quick video showing the process of replacing the battery.
Read below in the comments of this video, and there is a guy who has had the same problem when replacing the fob battery in his HS also.
It would appear that the quality of the replacement batteries is very important.
From experience, I can truly tell you that i have stopped buying cell coin batteries from either E.bay or Amazon anymore, because there are just WAY too many fakes in the system these days.
I only buy from a major retail store now.
The last batteries I bought from E.Bay only lasted 3 days and the car reported that they needed replacing.
I was stating to think that it was the car was at fault, after changing two batteries in less than a week !.
I replaced the last faulty one, with a battery I bought from Tesco's and it was still working correctly six months latter, when I sold the car.
My son had the similar thing with his VW Tiguan last summer, when the Duracell batteries he bought online, kept flagging up a low battery fob warning on the dash of the car.
This happened twice, one after the other !.
I replaced this so called genuine battery out, and fitted another good known new battery, the warning cleared instantly !.
I seem to remember that VW suggested that the coin cell battery should be replaced while sitting in the car.
Not sure if this is necessary on the MG system though.

Top Tip :- Can I strongly suggest that you purchase a new battery from a GOOD know source and try replacing it again !.
Don't buy them online.

Last edited:
Good call re dud batteries. I have a card of three Panasonic batteries. I tried the first “new” battery after trying previous other makes but this one didn’t work. I’ll try the other two tomorrow. My Panasonics look like they are the real thing but I honestly can’t remember where I bought them. It’s very likely it was eBay or Amazon.
I‘ll post an update.

Good call re dud batteries. I have a card of three Panasonic batteries. I tried the first “new” battery after trying previous other makes but this one didn’t work. I’ll try the other two tomorrow. My Panasonics look like they are the real thing but I honestly can’t remember where I bought them. It’s very likely it was eBay or Amazon.
I‘ll post an update.
Only buy from a good know retailer my friend !.
They are going to be more expensive of course, but you have to be 100% certain of there origin or it could be both embarrassing and wasted trip to the dealership for a simple battery replacement.
Good luck and report back please !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom