Phone and Sat Nav help needed

John D

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi, we collected our new MG4 Trophy LR in red last week and love it but we are still trying to get our heads around some of the functionality. This forum has helped a lot so far ie; with the Lane Keep always being on, however we have got two niggles that we need help with if anybody knows the answers.

1. Bluetooth phone conection from the car to the phone seems to be forgotten every time we stop and leave the car, so we have to pair the phone again. This is turning into a pain as we both use the car independently at times so have to pair everytime one of us gets in, it does not remember the phone and auto connect. Our previous car recognised the phone and connected automatically as soon as you got in and if we both got in it picked up the first phone that entered??

2. Set up the Sat Nav and entered contact locations etc. and named them, thought voice control would be great to use to pick a contact and auto open it as required destination. However, press voice and say Navigate, it says where would you like to go, we say one of the contact names entered in the system and it then attempts to find a road named that rather then pick up the contact. so if we say 'Rachel' it tries to find a road named Rachel?? We have tried saying 'go to favourites' etc. but no joy.

Any help with the above would be appreciated, I just hope it isnt something else we just have to live with.

THanks John

1. I've never had that issue

2. I have an SE so don't have in-built satnav (other than Android Auto).

1. Bluetooth phone conection from the car to the phone seems to be forgotten every time we stop and leave the car, so we have to pair the phone again. This is turning into a pain as we both use the car independently at times so have to pair everytime one of us gets in, it does not remember the phone and auto connect. Our previous car recognised the phone and connected automatically as soon as you got in and if we both got in it picked up the first phone that entered??

2. Set up the Sat Nav and entered contact locations etc. and named them, thought voice control would be great to use to pick a contact and auto open it as required destination. However, press voice and say Navigate, it says where would you like to go, we say one of the contact names entered in the system and it then attempts to find a road named that rather then pick up the contact. so if we say 'Rachel' it tries to find a road named Rachel?? We have tried saying 'go to favourites' etc. but no joy.
1. Are you plugging the phone in? If you are, then CarPlay will become active and I believe the Bluetooth will not then connect, it uses the physical connection instead. I’m sure someone will correct me if wrong.

2. I’ve given up with the Hey MG voice control as it is very poor in my opinion. I use Hey Siri instead and as I am connected with the cable it uses CarPlay and Apple Maps to navigate. It will also navigate to one of my contacts addresses if I have that plumbed into my phone. I have had my car since November and not used the built in sat nav at all as I find Apple. Apps navigation so much better.

On the test car that I had for a while there was a list of already paired phones in the settings (sales staff phones I think). Check if your phones are displayed as linked.

Easiest way is to just plug in and use Android Auto or Apple carplay, remember you can only use the USB A socket not the type C for that though.

We have a Trophy so do have the built in satnav however we never use it as it's awful compared Google Maps.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back