phone pairing.

Davecut1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi everyone, I realise a lot has been said on this subject but I am really struggling to un- pair my old phone so as I can link my new phone to the car. I think I have it right in thinking you cant do it on the car settings you have to do it on the app on your phone, but I cant seem to find where you delete the phone you are using so as to pair the new phone, I tried pairing my new phone and it just tells me its already paired. please explain the process to me. many thanks. Dave.

If you use the same login details as your old phone it should connect. Only one phone can be connected at a time so it should kick disconnect your old phone.

If you want to still remove your old phone open the iSmart app on your old phone
Tap the 3 lines at the top left of the screen
Tap My Profile
Tap About
Tap Delete Account.

thanks very much Ian tried this process all was fine until it asked for my password which I have forgotten so I am in the process of asking MG how to change my password, then hopefully I can delete my old phone and pair my new one.

I thought it paired the account, not the device, so if you got a new phone with the same phone number it would just go right on working. (Please tell me I'm right!)

No when I scan the qr panel it tells me the car has previously been paired. If you see Ians reply he says to delete account from your old phone and then reinstall on new phone.

If you're talking about binding the phone to the car then that's not the case.
The car is bound to your account, not your phone, so I'm afraid you will have to find your account password to use the app.
If you have a google account, you can check and find saved passwords via that (if you saved it).
If you can still open the app on your old phone, I think you can unbind the car from your account then start afresh with a new account on your new phone.

Yes I think you are almost right Kithmo the problem I have at the moment is you need your password to close your account and I have forgotten it.

So your actual problem is not being able to login on the new phone? (You don't need to unpair your old phone - just factory reset the phone, or delete cache and data for the app and uninstall it. Nor do you need to delete your account).

Obvious question - have you tried the Forgot Password option in the app?

Edit: note that the initial setup process is this:
  • Download and install the iSMART app on your device
  • Create an account in the app and verify
  • (Once logged in) use the QR code in the car to bind the car to the account (not to that specific instance of the app)
Thereafter on any other device all you need to do is download and install the app, then login - the car should already appear, and any other device logged in should get logged out.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 542 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel