Physical log book

Dino

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi
So when I collected my MG5 SR I got given the little black leatherette folder with the manuals in, but I didn’t really look at them till I got home. I then realised that there is nowhere to record the services or to confirm the radio code etc.
I spoke to the dealer and they said there is no physical log book anymore as services are logged on the MG system.
Has anyone else got a physical log book?
It seems odd to me that there isn’t one and I’m worried it is lost in a drawer at the dealer!
Thanks

All the servicing is on the MG database
Which is great, until you want to sell the car through a non MG dealer and you can’t prove that it’s got full service history! And where is the radio code if it needs any work. All this is no concern for now while it’s in warranty but it doesn’t seem good if you want to keep it longer

Upvote 0
This is the way of the world unfortunately! I part-exchanged a Mercedes for my new MG and that didn’t have a hard copy service record either. A short detour to the Mercedes dealer before trading it in produced a thin pile of service reports that the MG salesman was very pleased to get! Saved him lots of farting around getting them were his words! Evidently, all documents will be digital soon. A motoring programme has said that moves are afoot to replace the paper copy of your V5C vehicle registration document with a totally digital one in the next few years!

Upvote 0
I did exactly same on my 2017 Mercury b-class, thinking the service book was missing only to be told it’s all digital now. Made a trip to garage too, although only 10mins.

Upvote 0
I guess they are to be commended for going paperless, which only adds to the green credentials for an EV

Upvote 0
You do get a maintenance sheet when you get it serviced, with the dealer's stamp on it, just keep those as a record.

Which is great, until you want to sell the car through a non MG dealer and you can’t prove that it’s got full service history! And where is the radio code if it needs any work. All this is no concern for now while it’s in warranty but it doesn’t seem good if you want to keep it longer
Had to chuckle at your reference to a radio code, do they still have those ? :)
I haven't had a car with a radio code in the last 20 years.

Upvote 0
You do get a maintenance sheet when you get it serviced, with the dealer's stamp on it, just keep those as a record.

To be fair with the exception of the Dacia Logan I had from new before this all my cars would be around 20 years old or more by now, if they hadn’t been scrapped after trading in!
Thanks for the info on the maintenance sheet!

Upvote 0

My wife's Fiesta, a 57 plate had a radio code. 🙁

Upvote 0
So if I get someone else to service my MG, must MG add that to their database?
I presume for warranty purposes they state only authorised places can do the service and they’ll have access to the database. But what happens once you are out of warranty and want to go elsewhere? Dacia and Renault have it stitched up where only main dealer or authorised mechanic can rest the service light and I presume other makes do similar things to get you tied into dealer service

Upvote 0
I presume for warranty purposes they state only authorised places can do the service and they’ll have access to the database. But what happens once you are out of warranty and want to go elsewhere? Dacia and Renault have it stitched up where only main dealer or authorised mechanic can rest the service light and I presume other makes do similar things to get you tied into dealer service
That sounds like unfair business practice. Manufacturers are not allowed to restrict servicing to their own networks for warranty.

Upvote 0
My previous VW PHEV which was manufactured in 2015 did have a paper hard copy of the service book.
But I think this was pretty much the last year that VW was supplying paper service books.
A friend purchased a Golf about 18 months later and the paper copy service book had gone.
You could buy a service book from the parts department to have wet stamped at the time of service, if you do desired ?.
It could be argued that a paper copy receipt for the work done from an approved dealer is better in some respects ?.
Service books can be doctored in some respects.
If you have a receipt, then a quick call to the people who have carried out the work, can verify the information on the receipt is correct.
It could be suggested that main dealers like to protect the information they store on their systems and this helps them retain customers return to them for any service work ?.

Upvote 0
Reply from James
We can access BMW and VW and have tried to have access to MGs, but they're not moving particularly quickly. However, we send one ersproof of service and this satisfies the warranty requirements.

Upvote 0
My previous VW PHEV which was manufactured in 2015 did have a paper hard copy of the service book.
But I think this was pretty much the last year that VW was supplying paper service books.
A friend purchased a Golf about 18 months later and the paper copy service book had gone.
You could buy a service book from the parts department to have wet stamped at the time of service, if you do desired ?.
It could be argued that a paper copy receipt for the work done from an approved dealer is better in some respects ?.
Service books can be doctored in some respects.
If you have a receipt, then a quick call to the people who have carried out the work, can verify the information on the receipt is correct.
It could be suggested that main dealers like to protect the information they store on their systems and this helps them retain customers return to them for any service work ?.
My 2016 Prius had a hard copy service book as well as online records, which the owner could access via an online account on the Toyota Portal. The online record showed any maintenance that was done on the car including recalls and warranty work (if any) as well as the services.

Upvote 0
Well my MG HS PHEV has a service record, plus its in English, but I'm in France.
But the French do love paperwork.

Attachments

• IMG_20211124_090310_9.jpg
    IMG_20211124_090310_9.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 158
Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom