Picking up MG5 Later This Morning

psybernoid

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all, first post after reading this forum for a few days.

Took an MG5 for a test drive last Monday. Was so smitten, I immediately ordered one when I returned the demo car. I went for the red Exclusive.

I pick it up at 11am this morning and frankly, I'm feeling like a kid on Christmas morning.

However, one thing that I've just read has me a bit concerned. Will the car come with a type 2 lead as standard or is that an extra? I had presumed it was standard - but, from what I've read, it may not be.

Given that the local Pod-points at Tesco around here look to be bring-your-own lead and the home charger unit I've asked to be installed is socket only. I'm starting to worry a little.

I guess I'll find out when I pick it up.

Thanks. I'll be asking the dealer this morning if one's supplied and if not, see if we can get some haggling done.

Firstly, welcome to the forum, in addition welcome to #teamred 😀
I paid £180 for my type 2 cable. It’s worth saying that you assumed it would come with the lead if it doesn’t, you never know. It depends on the dealers from the experiences on here. Also make sure you know what to do regarding charging, you should get a full handover. Enjoy and let us know how it went! 😊

Screwfix sell them for delivery next day for £160 if you dealer can't help. Should come with a granny charger for the short term.

That's a good tip, thanks. Shame the local screwfix doesn't carry stock in store - it's literally down the road from the dealership. As it happens, presumably a 3 phase cable would be a waste of time as public fast chargers would have a tethered cable, therefore meaning a more basic 230V 32A cable would be sufficient?

Hi all, first post after reading this forum for a few days.

Took an MG5 for a test drive last Monday. Was so smitten, I immediately ordered one when I returned the demo car. I went for the red Exclusive.

I pick it up at 11am this morning and frankly, I'm feeling like a kid on Christmas morning.

However, one thing that I've just read has me a bit concerned. Will the car come with a type 2 lead as standard or is that an extra? I had presumed it was standard - but, from what I've read, it may not be.

Given that the local Pod-points at Tesco around here look to be bring-your-own lead and the home charger unit I've asked to be installed is socket only. I'm starting to worry a little.

I guess I'll find out when I pick it up.
Type 2 is not included with the car.
It is included when you buy on the affinity scheme.
On finance dealers tend to through freebies and I am sure few members received cables part of overall deal.

You do not need to look far. Some are on sale in the community classifieds,

That's a good tip, thanks. Shame the local screwfix doesn't carry stock in store - it's literally down the road from the dealership. As it happens, presumably a 3 phase cable would be a waste of time as public fast chargers would have a tethered cable, therefore meaning a more basic 230V 32A cable would be sufficient?

Single phase cable is all you'll ever need as the car only has a single phase 7kw charger in it.

I had to pay extra on the affinity deal
@Stuwit46 and @AdamMGEV If I was you I'd get back in touch with the dealer and request what you are owed. When I purchased my MG5 on Affinity, the dealer shared with me his computer screen that lists all manor of purchase options such as Affinity, MG staff etc. It clearly listed what they offer under each scheme, he was happy to share it with me. Affinity listed the Type 2 cable + Tri-coat paint.

My guess is the dealer kept that quiet so they could nab the cable to sell on, I very much doubt they 'forgot'. If there's any dealers on here though that would like to clarify I'm happy to stand corrected!

@Stuwit46 and @AdamMGEV If I was you I'd get back in touch with the dealer and request what you are owed. When I purchased my MG5 on Affinity, the dealer shared with me his computer screen that lists all manor of purchase options such as Affinity, MG staff etc. It clearly listed what they offer under each scheme, he was happy to share it with me. Affinity listed the Type 2 cable + Tri-coat paint.

My guess is the dealer kept that quiet so they could nab the cable to sell on, I very much doubt they 'forgot'. If there's any dealers on here though that would like to clarify I'm happy to stand corrected!
I know that every affinity deal costs differently though... mine was £21,820 with red tri coat and type 2 cable. So I guess it depends on what the final cost is.

Part ex - No part ex / PCP / lease / cash / time of the month when the car is actually sold etc etc.
There is a LOT of “smoke and mirrors” and shuffling of figures when it comes to new and used car sales.
Rarely is two deals ever the same.
If you are gifted a charging cable and other nice goodies, it’s because their has been plenty of profit in the sale of the car to do so.
You don’t get nothing for nothing !.
The only people who make anything out of cars, is the people selling them, not the people buying them ! 🤔.

I know that every affinity deal costs differently though... mine was £21,820 with red tri coat and type 2 cable. So I guess it depends on what the final cost is.
Yep understood, mine was a little higher. Saying that tho, the Affinity deal is offered by MG, not the dealership. The info he showed me was from MG to the dealer (not for customers eyes) and it clearly states they need to include the Type 2. Shouldn't matter what the final costs is negotiated down to, the cable should be included. The dealer then claims it back from MG so it shouldn't make any difference to them.

Simple solution is to ask for it when you negotiate the deal. My dealer said it wasn't included but added it anyway because I asked.
It is pretty essential to most owners so should be included as standard in my opinion but you could say the same about the spare wheel.

Simple solution is to ask for it when you negotiate the deal. My dealer said it wasn't included but added it anyway because I asked.
It is pretty essential to most owners so should be included as standard in my opinion but you could say the same about the spare wheel.
I did ask but he said it was extra. However I was very happy with the deal I got so I wasn't going to argue.

So, everything went smoothly on Friday. Picked up the new car. Ordered a type 2 cable as one wasn't included and drove it home.

So far I've only done 30 miles or so in it. Including a trip to Tesco for our weekly shop. Was nice to plug the car in at the free pod-point there whilst shopping. I didn't really need to top-up the battery, but figured I should give it a go to get the hang of charging.

Grandkids coming this afternoon for a week-long visit, so we'll be giving the car a run for its money.

Have to say, very happy with this car.

The only thing I'm slightly worried about is the occasional trip to visit family in the south east. It'll require more planning than simply ensuring the car is filled up, but I'm sure we'll manage.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom