Planned Long Journey with MG ZS EV 2020

Until this post never heard of A better route planner. Not really a fan of the Zap Map route planner as requires a lot of information reguarding vehicle range estimates.
I will put in contingency’s.
I’m planning on going slightly slower (but safe speed) when safe to do so.
I never really use AC at anytime (sometimes for a couple of minutes to make it slightly cooler or warmer/ demise when required)

Why specifically switch of Eco as to me it’s the better option but am normally doing shorter distances at more local speeds and a 20 mile round trip at 40-50mph twice a week.
Had a look earlier and in the last 3500 miles have averaged 3.9 miles/kWh and on the 20 mile round trip did 4.0 miles/kWh including around 10 minutes of climate control.
Eco mode on the MG dulls the throttle response and limits the heater and AC. It does nothing that you can't do yourself. Too many people seem to think that it'll magically give them more range and then wonder why the heater or AC isn't working properly. You bought a car with mod cons so why not use them? At the end of the day it's your choice, just like it's your choice to use sport mode, drive slowly and get more range than putting it in eco mode, flooring it and getting less range!

I’m guessing this is a journey in an SR version? I’ve got a 608 mile journey to north Scotland planned in October in a LR that I haven’t even got yet! (Coming next week apparently 🤞🏻). I’ve already planned charge stops etc using Zap-Map and plan to use the car normally, what’s the point having it and not using it properly? Drmcw is spot on!

When you drive an ICE car, you drive it, and when the needle goes into the red, you search for a petrol station and put some fuel in. Exactly the same for an EV except that you can search for the (electrons) filling station on your phone.

Enjoy your adventure LND21. :)

When you drive an ICE car, you drive it, and when the needle goes into the red, you search for a petrol station and put some fuel in. Exactly the same for an EV except that you can search for the (electrons) filling station on your phone.

Enjoy your adventure LND21. :)
Exactly what I do with my Gen 1. (y)
I treat the battery gauge like a fuel gauge, when it get to the last bar (and it tells me to charge) I do.

My Zs Ev will often achieve 180 miles on a full charge when running about locally, as I use it for a delivery job that I have, I do this three days a week. I also do quite a few long journeys from Glasgow to Manchester, Liverpool or Nottingham. I used to suffer from range anxiety but now I know I can rely on my car doing 110+ miles on a fast (68mph average) long journey so I tend to stop every hour and a half to two hours. On Thursday I left Glasgow to see The Rolling Stones at Anfield, Liverpool. I stopped at my normal stop Southwaite south Services, charged for 35 minutes then had enough charge to get to Liverpool (225 miles total). I was running ahead of schedule so stopped at the brilliant MFG Crow Orchard charge point where there are 8 150Kw chargers, that always work. I filled up to 90% so I didn't need to charge in Liverpool and could get half way home. I was pulling 138amps for most of this charge which is much faster than I can charge at most public charging points. On the way home I had a short stop at Burton-In Kendal services to see their new charger set up and to add about 15kwh, this was enough to get me to the Belstane Avenue Carlisle Road, Crawford, chargers which are free to use, so charged up to 85 % and headed home. Total cost for the journey in electric was £24.58 against probably over £100 with an ICE vehicle.

My Zs Ev will often achieve 180 miles on a full charge when running about locally, as I use it for a delivery job that I have, I do this three days a week. I also do quite a few long journeys from Glasgow to Manchester, Liverpool or Nottingham. I used to suffer from range anxiety but now I know I can rely on my car doing 110+ miles on a fast (68mph average) long journey so I tend to stop every hour and a half to two hours. On Thursday I left Glasgow to see The Rolling Stones at Anfield, Liverpool. I stopped at my normal stop Southwaite south Services, charged for 35 minutes then had enough charge to get to Liverpool (225 miles total). I was running ahead of schedule so stopped at the brilliant MFG Crow Orchard charge point where there are 8 150Kw chargers, that always work. I filled up to 90% so I didn't need to charge in Liverpool and could get half way home. I was pulling 138amps for most of this charge which is much faster than I can charge at most public charging points. On the way home I had a short stop at Burton-In Kendal services to see their new charger set up and to add about 15kwh, this was enough to get me to the Belstane Avenue Carlisle Road, Crawford, chargers which are free to use, so charged up to 85 % and headed home. Total cost for the journey in electric was £24.58 against probably over £100 with an ICE vehicle.
That’s pretty much my charge stops heading Glasgow to north wales (MG5LR with roofbox) - although might try Westmorland Rheged Centre rather than Southwaite for a change but MFG Crow Orchard is an essential. Coming home I’ll probably do Tesla Flint Mountain before hitting up Burton-in-Kendal and maybe IONITY at Gretna rather than Crawford - depends on time of day and which is busier - but after a few hundred miles the £10+ is less hassle than tired kids.

I wish these Gridserve units were upgraded to dual charging already - sites with two units seem a bit limited until that happens.

What would you all recommend for arrival at final destination % of charge remaining.
Also there is a 7.5kwh charger at my destination

High enough that you can leave with 100% and as low as you dare as fast chargers are typically cheaper than rapids!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom