Planning for a long journey.....

TheApeVine

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Not long had my ZS Long Range and it's grand so far, longest journey has been a 150 mile round trip down the M1/A38 so no charging worries :)

In the near future I will be setting off to Scotland though, not really a worry on the way there as we'll be setting off with 100% and we're breaking the journey up with a stop half way (165 miles from home) that has Tesla Superchargers, and it's only 130 miles from there to our destination.

My worry is the journey back, we're stopping at the same place so will be able to charge, but planning a few stops on the way home makes the journey around 180 miles.

Do you think that would be possible on an 80% charge? it's going to be mostly A1/M1 all the way home in Eco but we will need heating on.

OR, is it possible to charge to 100% on the Tesla Superchargers? We're stopping overnight so not an issue with time for charging if they are available.

Cheers

If you are relying on that non Tesla unit to charge your car on route, it maybe a good idea to try one first, or have a back up plan to use another make of rapid unit.
Some ZS EV facelift owners have had problems pulling a charge from the non Tesla units and others have not ?.
Do you have a non Tesla charger close to home that you could try ?.
There is a software update available to deal with this issue.
It’s not the Tesla rapids at fault, it’s the cars software that’s the problem.
If you require the update, you will first need to find a reliable dealer that is both conversant and confident enough to carry out the work.
This could also include a cost to the customer.
It involves updating a lot of the cars modules and it needs to be done in the correct / set sequence apparently.
One of the forum members have had this update done by the lads at the Chorley group.
I believe Miles was present while this was taking place and the owner of the car, later reported it worked successfully.

Not long had my ZS Long Range and it's grand so far, longest journey has been a 150 mile round trip down the M1/A38 so no charging worries :)

In the near future I will be setting off to Scotland though, not really a worry on the way there as we'll be setting off with 100% and we're breaking the journey up with a stop half way (165 miles from home) that has Tesla Superchargers, and it's only 130 miles from there to our destination.

My worry is the journey back, we're stopping at the same place so will be able to charge, but planning a few stops on the way home makes the journey around 180 miles.

Do you think that would be possible on an 80% charge? it's going to be mostly A1/M1 all the way home in Eco but we will need heating on.

OR, is it possible to charge to 100% on the Tesla Superchargers? We're stopping overnight so not an issue with time for charging if they are available.

Cheers
I drove 470 km with 100% charge, maximum 90 km/h, with no AC, if you don't go fast it should be fine.

Regarding tesla charges, I had big problems with them, only one worked out of 7 that I tried, the one that work was the old one with 2 cables.

I suggest you will have a backup plan for the tesla chargers.

If you are relying on that non Tesla unit to charge your car on route, it maybe a good idea to try one first, or have a back up plan to use another make of rapid unit.
Some ZS EV facelift owners have had problems pulling a charge from the non Tesla units and others have not ?.
Do you have a non Tesla charger close to home that you could try ?.
There is a software update available to deal with this issue.
It’s not the Tesla rapids at fault, it’s the cars software that’s the problem.
If you require the update, you will first need to find a reliable dealer that is both conversant and confident enough to carry out the work.
This could also include a cost to the customer.
It involves updating a lot of the cars modules and it needs to be done in the correct / set sequence apparently.
One of the forum members have had this update done by the lads at the Chorley group.
I believe Miles was present while this was taking place and the owner of the car, later reported it worked successfully.
I have one down the road so will make that my next charge :) Cheers

I have one down the road so will make that my next charge :) Cheers
On second thoughts, the one close to me is not open to non tesla, will just have to chance it and make sure I've enough to get the 12 miles to the nearest rapid

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom