Playing music from USB sticks

iainfm

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi everyone,

I had my first drive of an EV this evening - an MG5 Exclusive - and I absolutely loved it!

I have a couple of questions, if I may. One the dealer says he'll get back to me on, and one I forgot to ask:

1) Can MP3 files be played through the infotainment system? From other threads I've found here they can, but some may not. (Also, is there an online manual for the infotainment system?)

2) Is there a memory function for the driver's seat position that can be stored and retrieved? There will be two drivers of the car, very different physically, and this would be a great help. My current car has electric front seats and I can never get it back to the way I had it if someone else drives it. I don't see it mentioned in the manual, so I think I may be out of luck.

Thanks in advance,
Iain

1) I'll try tomorrow and get back to you :)

2) no idea, but I suspect not as I haven't seen any option listed on boot-up.

Re usb, yes you can play via the infotainment system. I tried just now via the right hand usb port.

MP3 files can be played as well as MP4 videos.
There's no seat memory on the 5 or the ZS unfortunately.

I have a USB memory card adapter that takes a micro SD card - think mobile phone memory card. It's small enough to let you close the Spidey cover flap.

Hi everyone,

I had my first drive of an EV this evening - an MG5 Exclusive - and I absolutely loved it!

I have a couple of questions, if I may. One the dealer says he'll get back to me on, and one I forgot to ask:

1) Can MP3 files be played through the infotainment system? From other threads I've found here they can, but some may not. (Also, is there an online manual for the infotainment system?)

2) Is there a memory function for the driver's seat position that can be stored and retrieved? There will be two drivers of the car, very different physically, and this would be a great help. My current car has electric front seats and I can never get it back to the way I had it if someone else drives it. I don't see it mentioned in the manual, so I think I may be out of luck.

Thanks in advance,
Iain
Hi Iain,
You can play just about any format from your USB key including pictures and videos. I was playing around with a SSD the other day and it works faultlessly, not overly practical but it was just lying around 😁👍

Thanks very much for those replies. I was worried lack of USB support might be a deal breaker for mrs iainfm - she like to chop and change the music in her current car. She has one so of the Sandisk ultras, which are only a fraction longer than the USB port itself. I think it'd fit under the flap as well :)

If you have a search, you'll find a list of working audio and video files on the forum somewhere (y)

I just bought an MG5 and plugged a 64Gb USB stick in and it played the mp3s perfectly. However I do have a question, am I stuck with listening to them in alphabetical order with no control other than keep pressing the next icon? Have I missed something?

There should be a shuffle button in the music player screen.
It should look like a couple of crossed arrows.

Not spotted that yet, I'll keep looking. I suppose a list would be too much to ask...
music player.jpg

The one in the yellow circle

It will also play FLAC files if you want a higher quality and it plays MP4 movies too but not on the move.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 15900
The one in the yellow circle
If you press the icon with the 3lines to the right of the one circled it gives a list of the tracks, if you have your files in albums,go to the top of the tracks list press there and it gives you a list of your albums, then can select album then track you want usb plugged in to the right hand port

If you press the icon with the 3lines to the right of the one circled it gives a list of the tracks, if you have your files in albums,go to the top of the tracks list press there and it gives you a list of your albums, then can select album then track you want usb plugged in to the right hand port
thank you for that. I suppose I would have found that eventually. But the handbook is less than helpful.

This was posted on here sometime ago, although not very comprehensive to say the least.

Attachments

• MG5 Infotainment Manual.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 206
The best way i have found to play music in the MG4 is to use the android auto feature and play through ones phone. Easier to scroll through album/artist, plays in the correct order, unlike the second rate "infotainment" system and gives more control over the sound. I found the 5 bar eq absolutely useless in finding a decent sound in the cabin.

I have iTunes on my PC and simply drag a playlist across to a USB Flash Drive showing in a second window. They then play by track number, so all the Track 1's and then Track 2's etc. So it's a form of Shuffle.... or you can select Shuffle itself. I have found the best sound is to select Pop and then increase the bass to suit. It's not a bad sound and I say this as a bit of a HiFi nerd!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom