Please put your hands on the steering wheel

nerfmg

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi,
Since getting my mg4, when on the motorway and the blue lines engage to keep the car within the lanes, I'm plagued with minutely warnings saying I'm not holding the steering wheel. When pressing harder nothing happens and eventually it beeps at me with red warnings. I'm on the latest R33.

The question is... Does everyone else with the trophy have this issue is it just me?

Last edited:
Someone may correct me, but I believe the issue you have is with the driver attention sensor, the little ‘camera’ at the top of the steering wheel centre. I’ve a feeling there’s a software / hardware? Fix for this, but someone with more knowledge will be along I’m sure!

Pressing the steering wheel harder does not make the car think that you are holding the wheel. It needs to detect a small force either clockwise or anticlockwise on the wheel (a small resistance left or right on the wheel) to know that you are there.

Hi,
Since getting my ev4, when on the motorway and the blue lines engage to keep the car within the lanes, I'm plagued with minutely warnings saying I'm not holding the steering wheel. When pressing harder nothing happens and eventually it beeps at me with red warnings. I'm on the latest R33.

The question is... Does everyone else with the trophy have this issue is it just me?

You need to ask your dealer for a software update to fix this problem.
I take it you have had the lock-in software update?

The R33 only refers to the infotainment screen not the various modules which control everything else.

The R33 only refers to the infotainment screen not the various modules which control everything else.
Aye I've had the lock in update. Contacted the dealership anyway. Its defo not normal behaviour.

It doesn't detect squeezing of the wheel, it detects turning force applied. When the message is displayed you have to turn the wheel slightly and the message should disappear.

Ding ding ding we have a winner. Software update fixed the issue.

Just got my MG5 and was experiencing this issue on the motorway, I figured out its because of the lane assist I was attempting to let the steering have full control and was gently resting my hands on the wheel, but if you let the wheel support the weight of your arms, as in you hold the wheel and let your arms weight be supported by the wheel then you don't get the alarm.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back