Anon70

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Went to try my first public charging session today, was expecting the worst but was pleasantly surprised. 50kW PodPoint charger at the local Lidl.

Get out the car
Plug in the CCS charge cable
Press the start button on the PodPoint app

Car was at 73% and I charged it to 80%
No battery pre heat, ambient temp indicated was 7deg

Car pulled charge in around 35kW

Car hit 80% target and stopped charging
Unplugged charge cable
Job done

Added 8.64kWh to the battery cost £5.62 so £0.65 per kWh

Yeah, 65p isn't bad. (Open Tesla points are cheaper, but there aren't many other places cheaper).

At Gretna services it is 69p GridServe (50kW), 74p Ionity (150kW) and 79p AppleGreen (180kw shared between 2 points).

Yeah, 65p isn't bad. (Open Tesla points are cheaper, but there aren't many other places cheaper).

At Gretna services it is 69p GridServe (50kW), 74p Ionity (150kW) and 79p AppleGreen (180kw shared between 2 points).
Keep up - Gridserve went up to 79p a month or so ago 😉

Went to try my first public charging session today, was expecting the worst but was pleasantly surprised. 50kW PodPoint charger at the local Lidl.

Get out the car

Unplugged charge cable
Job done

My first rapid charge test was a PodPoint in Lidl.
Today I used a free PodPoint charger (7kW) in Sainsburys, Dursley. Got a few percent added while doing some shopping.

Nope - I used GridServe at Gretna last month (26th) and it was 69p. I made a point of checking the prices of the 3 different charger types at that location.
My month or so ago was actually November 30th when Gridserve put the price up to 79p (sorry!!)

Get out the car

Unplugged charge cable
Job done

Yes, in our area the Tescos all have Podpoint chargers. Recently they (Podpoint) made a change whereby you have to have enough in your account before you start a charge or it cuts off. Previously it would allow a little leeway in going into the red on your account. I was caught out by this change a little while back. So youo have to make sure you have plenty of credit, which isn't hard. Generally a good experience.
Also, it seems that you can only charge to 80% on their fast chargers.
Tesco used to be 54p on the fast chargers, but I see they have now increased to 62p.

My month or so ago was actually November 30th when Gridserve put the price up to 79p (sorry!!)
Just checked on Zap Map and it shows 79p ... that puts them parity with the higher power Applegreen chargers so they may well see their revenue reduced.

I hope you keyed in your license number into the lidl terminal, i got stung by parkingeye which i managed to get cancelled
Not sure we have that up in Scotland, but I was only there for about 15 minutes as I was just testing the DC charging. Think the signs say you can park for 90 minutes without any problem but bever been an issue for any of the shopping trips I have made

If the signs say 90 minutes then there's almost certainly a Private Parking Company (PPC) "managing" that car park. (They only thing they manage is their bank balance). The PPC is also almost certainly using ANPR cameras (which monitors nothing but time on site; not even time parked, which is what the implied contract actually is) - hence the prior warning.

If the signs say 90 minutes then there's almost certainly a Private Parking Company (PPC) "managing" that car park. (They only thing they manage is their bank balance). The PPC is also almost certainly using ANPR cameras (which monitors nothing but time on site; not even time parked, which is what the implied contract actually is) - hence the prior warning.
Also be careful as there maybe limitations when the store is closed so you could potentially get 'fined' if you charge even for a short term outside of normal opening hours.

South Ayrshire all Charge Place Scotland (CPS) chargers are still free. In Fife CPS are £1.75 for the first kWh and 15p per kWh thereafter. Stirling is similar at £1.35 & 35p. In some council areas it's up around 70p/kWh though. Rolfe's local is 30p/kWh with a minimum of £1.

Just back from New Zealand where I hired an EV. Charging infrastructure not brilliant, but never queued for a charger, mostly 50kW and only 70c - less than 35p per kWh!! Made me realise how much we are being ripped off in the UK by ever rising, and unjustified, charge costs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just back from New Zealand where I hired an EV. Charging infrastructure not brilliant, but never queued for a charger, mostly 50KW and only 70c - less than 35p per KwH!! Made me realise how much we are being ripped off in the UK by ever rising, and unjustified, charge costs.
iirc New Zealand has over 70% renewable electricity generation, so not as affected by gas/oil/coal costs as we are.

South Ayrshire all Charge Place Scotland (CPS) chargers are still free. In Fife CPS are £1.75 for the first kWh and 15p per kWh thereafter. Stirling is similar at £1.35 & 35p. In some council areas it's up around 70p/kWh though. Rolfe's local is 30p/kWh with a minimum of £1.

I hear they're going to put that up though.

65p/kWh is not at all bad. Much cheaper than Sainsbury's.
Lidl is my emergency boost option locally. I trickle Charge at home mostly. They have a bakery counter and a loo, so win win. A coffee machine would be even better! Price is reasonable per kwh too.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back