Podpoint Solo timed charge on ZSEV, are the issues fixed now?

StopBurningStuff

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Does the latest Podpoint solo untethered units work with ZS EVs now for the timed 4 hour nightly charge? (Octopus Go)

I know the early cars didn’t wake up to charge.
Has that been fixed ok with software now?

My ZS EV I’m buying has all the updates. (V excited)

Simon,

Last edited:
No one replied, :( But I had confidence and went with the lovely smart Podpoint Solo 3 charger install, I can report it works perfectly with the car locking, and waiting until 00:30 and then charging the MG ZS EV for the 4 hours at my lovely 5p kWh (making the most of that rate until 2023)

So no worries with timed overnight charging, all worked very well.

Keep safe all,

Good to hear that you are getting the most from your cheap tariff, have you time shifted other electrical items to come on in the same 4 hour slot?
I was just about to suggest the very same thing !.
Hi Simon, this is brilliant advice from @Jomarkh .
Anything appliances that is fitted with the facility to conduct a delayed / timed use, or can be fitted safely with a suitably rated timer control, then use it.
Most modern appliances like washing machines / tumble driers / bread makers etc have this function.
These items are hungry to feed with electricity.
How do you heat your domestic hot water ?.
If you have a hot water storage tank, then at 5p/KWh this is WAY less expensive than heating water with even a modern gas boiler I would suggest.
We have an emission heater that has never been used to heat our water for years.
Always used the gas boiler.
But after the huge 54% increase in electricity prices in April 22 and another similar sized increase due in Oct / Nov 22.
I quickly installed a purpose built timer control on the emersion heater and stoped using gas boiler to heat our domestic hot water.
Oh …… Word of caution ⚠️ first ( if you intend to do this ) just check what your main DNO cut out fuse is ratted at prior.
Depending on the age of your home, it could be anything from 60 to 100 Amps.
Easy to check, go to where your electricity meter / consumer unit ( fuse box ) is located.
Where the main incoming supply cables enters your home, you will see a large single main fuse holder, it is likely to have a lead anti tamper proof seal fitted by the DNO.
Don’t touch it !.
It should have a sticker attached to the side of the fuse, if it’s 100Amps you are golden.
If it is rated at 60 Amps, you will have to do a bit of “Man Maths” first before you charge your car AND use a lot of the other items we have spoken about above.
Your wall box will be pulling around 7 Kw’s from any SOC less that about 96%.
An emersion heater / washing machine / tumble drier will be pulling about 3 ( ish ) Kw’s also EACH !.
This is over what a 60 Amp fuse is take really and could over load it.
The charger and one of the above is fine.
An electric shower rated at around 11 Kw’s is a massive consumer of energy, but taking your shower at midnight is taking the whole thing just a little bit too far 🤣.
Enjoy your car and consider the option to slide safely some of your usage, into that cheaper “Off Peak” tariff.
It is important because you get nothing for nothing with a time of day tariff.
Like others ( myself ) your day rate will be expensive, to compensate for that 4 - 5 hours of cheaper off peak rate.
Try to safely maximise all of those precious cheaper hours my friend !.

My immersion heater was a bit old and didn’t have a secondary built in cut out, so I have just swapped it out plus the cable rubber was a bit brittle so a new bit of cable too.
Like above it is very difficult to get my wife to use the Electric shower between 0030 and 0430 🙄

IMG_20220613_172544.jpg

More seriously than the last comment, if that is accurate it's set too low and you were/are risking Legionnaires. It really should be over 60C (140F).
Good advice.
Remove your shower head every couple of weeks and soak it in a solution of hot water and house hold bleach, for a couple of hours and then rinse again in hot water.
Shower heads are the biggest cause of Legionnaires !.

Good to hear that you are getting the most from your cheap tariff, have you time shifted other electrical items to come on in the same 4 hour slot?
Sorry for the slow reply,

Yes, I’ve got the dishwasher, washing machine and our dual fed towel rail all on smart plugs for only night time running. I am pleased with the progress.

Makes a massive difference.

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry for the slow reply,

Yes, I’ve got the dishwasher, washing machine and our dual fed towel rail all on smart plugs for only night time running. I am pleased with the progress.

Makes a massive difference.

Thanks for your reply.
Do you have an emersion heater to provide domestic hot water ?.
If so, purchase a proprietary timer control to replace the standard “flick” switch.
Most domestic heaters are rated at around 3 Kw’s some are even larger at 7 Kw’s !.
“Top Tip” :-
If you intend to load shift a lot of high demand items into the “Off - Peak” rate, just double check the size of your main incoming DNO cut out protection fuse, is a good idea.
A lot of property’s of a certain age, where only fitted with a 60 Amp fuse.
This was plenty, back in the day.
But with the addition of high demand items like EV wall boxes etc, it does not take long before you can start to encroach on that 60 Amp’s.
I have recently had my 60 Amp fuse upgraded to 100 Amps for this very reason.
Just a bit of food for thought !.

Last edited:
This is the wifi switch on my immersion heater.

Attachments

• 20210928_185547.jpg
    20210928_185547.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 79
Do you have an emersion heater to provide domestic hot water ?.
If so, purchase a proprietary timer control to replace the standard “flick” switch.
Most domestic heaters are rated at around 3 Kw’s some are even larger at 7 Kw’s !.
“Top Tip” :-
If you intend to load shift a lot of high demand items into the “Off - Peak” rate, just double check the size of your main incoming DNO cut out protection fuse, is a good idea.
A lot of property’s of a certain age, where only fitted with a 60 Amp fuse.
This was plenty, back in the day.
But with the addition of high demand items like EV wall boxes etc, it does not take long before you can start to encroach on that 60 Amp’s.
I have recently had my 60 Amp fuse upgraded to 100 Amps for this very reason.
Just a bit of food for thought !.
Can I ask what it cost you to upgrade ?
I only have a 60 amp and will possibly take advantage of low a night time tariff(assuming they continue!)

Can I ask what it cost you to upgrade ?
The fuse upgrade from the original 60 Amp to 100 Amps was FOC.
This involved replacing the whole service head as well.
A upgrade from 60 to 80 Amps is possible without replacing the service head, as the service head is able to accommodate both sizes of cut out fuses
The 100 Amp fuse is larger in size and therefore requires a larger fuse carrier, which requires a larger service head.

The fuse upgrade from the original 60 Amp to 100 Amps was FOC.
This involved replacing the whole service head as well.
A upgrade from 60 to 80 Amps is possible without replacing the service head, as the service head is able to accommodate both sizes of cut out fuses
The 100 Amp fuse is larger in size and therefore requires a larger fuse carrier, which requires a larger service head.
Thanks for the info. I'll bear it in mind

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom