Polar Black MG4 - Which hand polish?

RayReliable

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
So I took a trip to Devon. 146 miles M5/M4 got 4.2 on the way home on ACC averaging 57mph. Pretty good!

Aside from that I noticed some narrow lanes and their bushes have left a happy line on each side of my car… they are light scratches but visible. Oh why did I buy the cool looking black car!

Has anyone any tips or experience with the pearl black paint and can recommend a hand polish. Will be applied by hand and polished by hand.

I have never polished a car in my life due to them usually being different colours and old.

I'd use the original T-cut to remove the scratches/marks. Only apply enough pressure to remove the marks and buff off with a clean cloth.
Then wax the whole car with Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. It's not cheap but it's easy to apply and gives a great finish. I prefer the liquid as it can be applied to the plastic trim and doesn't leave a white residue.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You’ll probably get 20 different answers about which is the best product, car detailing can be very subjective.

I’ve always been a fan of Auotglym, you could use Super Resin Polish to remove the swirls and then High Definition Wax for protection.

I wouldn’t put T-Cut anywhere near my cars to be honest!

Meguiars do a compound… Meguiars Ultimate Compound I believe it’s called. Much safer than T-Cut.

Once done, apply some quality wax

I noticed some narrow lanes and their bushes have left a happy line on each side of my car… they are light scratches but visible. Oh why did I buy the cool looking black car!

Welcome to my world! Living in Devon, you never get used to this. I own a camper too, that makes it even worse!

Thank you for the replies. My initial thought was go for autoglym but wasn’t sure if I needed a black specific polish. Had not considered having to wax the car afterwards.

Presumably I need to do the whole car not just the sides.

There goes my day off tomorrow!

Thank you for the replies. My initial thought was go for autoglym but wasn’t sure if I needed a black specific polish. Had not considered having to wax the car afterwards.

Presumably I need to do the whole car not just the sides.

There goes my day off tomorrow!
It's hopefully only the clear coat that's been scratched so any good wax will do. Mind you I've had a black car before and found the black Color Magic worked well.

Just putting my pedantic hat on. There is a difference between a polish and a wax. Car wax provides a protective layer on the surface of the car, while car polish is used to remove minor scratches, swirls and other imperfections, and enhance the shine

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok so I went for autoglym ultimate polish which is specifically for dark paint. Worked really well and then used the mcguiers wax and ceramic spray after.

Took me four hours but did a good job. Just started raining now but a day well spent.

Interestingly I used the polish on the piano black plastic panels by the rear windows as they are absolute scratch magnets and they are now smooth and shiny. So recommend people try that!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 539 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back