Poor LKA not just an issue for MG4

JeffMcC75

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Jonny Smiths long term review of the Ora Funky Cat shows that it has the exact same issues as MG4 with regard to LKA and Driver monitoring. He actually says its tried to steer him into oncoming traffic.

Hopefully with time both will have a fix for a more diverse range of roads like UK back roads.

I usually turn off lka in my pre flight routine however don't usually for a short journey i usually do with speed limit 40mph for half mile. I just grip steering wheel harder. Last time it tried to steer me into an oncoming car. I looked back at dashcam footage as I was going to post it and sent into MG however doesn't look that dramatic but I can assure you it certainly was when the steering wheel is taken out your control and steers towards a car travelling towards you with a resultant speed of 80mph+. It's only for a split second and it only turns the wheel a degree or two but potentially fatal.
Equally as scary as another time i turned into a corner at 50/60mph on a rural road only to find for a split second steering wheel not turning and locked straight ahead.

LKA in my born works as I’ve experienced in other cars, IE little nudges of the wheel and noises.
I’ve still turned it off permanently using OBD11 as I despise LKA with a passion, but if I couldn’t turn it off it could be lived with.
Not like the one time I tried it in the 4 and it wrenched the wheel like you wouldn’t believe.

LKA in my born works as I’ve experienced in other cars, IE little nudges of the wheel and noises.
I’ve still turned it off permanently using OBD11 as I despise LKA with a passion, but if I couldn’t turn it off it could be lived with.
Not like the one time I tried it in the 4 and it wrenched the wheel like you wouldn’t believe.
Does the OBD11 work on the 4?

Dunno, have to check their website for cars covered.
No it does not. I contacted them and they said they do not plan MG4 support, their technology requires the manufacturer to explicitly support them.

"OBDeleven supports only VAG cars and BMW F, G, and I series."

On my MG4, it is the same as the Born, little nudges and noises. To get that people need the right module updates - early cars had the wrenching behaviour.

Mine is the same, not to bad really, but would still just like it permanently off.

I dare say if you emailed OBD11 they would eventually respond to demand.
It can do other stuff in my car too, like turning on ‘sweep’ indicators etc
I’ve yet to play around with those.

My LKA isn't overly aggressive, it's a gentle nudge and occasionally a vibration, with a beep.

In honesty I think it's mostly just the unnatural feeling of your wheel moving without you doing it.

I think since it was toned down in a software update, it must have improved, as the early reports and reviews seem to suggest it was dangerous. I don't feel that at all personally.

My car is less than three weeks old and I was assured it was given the latest software updates on the morning I picked it up. I do not like the LKA one tiny little bit. Yes, perhaps part of it is the unnatural feel of the wheel being turned without me turning it, but that's something I could be genuinely grateful for if it was correcting an error or avoiding an accident. It isn't.

On a quiet, meandering A road, where it's normal to cut corners if you're sure there's nothing coming, sometimes it does nothing, but other times it suddenly seems to snatch the wheel from your hand. It does the weirdest things on single-track and unclassified roads with no markings at all. On major roads with proper lane markings it grabs you if you try to make a lane change or take a slip road without signalling.

I was always taught, mirror, signal as necessary, manoeuvre. That is, if there's nobody there, don't waste your time signalling. But if you do that with this LKA on, again it grabs the wheel from you.

I know there is one occasion in my life when I had a very lucky escape - the driver coming up behind me on my right shoulder saw my car veering to the right and sounded his horn - and when the LKA might have saved my life (and other people's) if he hadn't done that. But that's once in 50 years of driving, some time in the early 1990s. I don't think I can put up with it just on the off-chance that happens again.

No, I should not have been driving tired on the M25. If I'm ever in the position again where I know I'm tired and I'm trying to get to the next exit to get myself out of this, I can and will switch it on. But running with it on all day every day? No.

It isn't too violent on my car; I still hate it though. On country roads it sometimes decides I need to veer away from the grass verge towards the wrong side of the road across the central line for no apparent reason. It's not fit for purpose, as above I wish there were something like ODB11 available for the MG, which allowed me to tweak the settings of the ACC on my Golf and change all sorts of defaults.

Why can't it work like other cars lane assist that just keeps you central in the lane on major roads, with no input from the driver other than checking you have a hand on the wheel - like a cheap man's auto-pilot.

Top Gear magazine rated it as the most hated feature on cars.
And I’m sure they also said a physical button to disable it was one of their favourite things too.
I noted the Citroen E-C4 has a button rather than screen nonsense.

When I was researching replacements for my 4 I made damn sure I chose a car where it could LKA disabled permanently.

If you get tired driving the SE SR then you must have started the journey tired. ;) (You'd need to stop for a charge before fatigue set in). :)

That could actually be a feature rather than a bug! But actually it wasn't the length of the drive that caused the tiredness that day, but the fact that I'd got up extremely early that morning, driven 75 miles, been running around all day, then had to sit in my car for about an hour trying to get out of a car park in the early evening. Half way back on the return journey it all caught up with me.

If I'd been driving an EV I probably wouldn't have needed to charge away from home, but in fact these days the car would probably have been sitting on a type 2 charger while it was in the car park Nothing would have been different.

I think it's a fair point that the need to stop for a period of time long enough to take a decent break every 200 miles or so in an EV is probably a safety feature. I used to drive 430 miles in not much more than six hours, stopping only as long as it took to fill an ICE car with petrol (so maybe five minutes), and really, somebody should probably have stopped me.

I was driving through some roadworks the other week and the car tried to steer me into the traffic cones on my right. I sometimes remember to disable lane assist but I often forget and I'm not too sure which is the option to disable.
My daughter picked up her new Audi EV yesterday and she was disappointed to find that it is similarly afflicted.

I was driving through some roadworks the other week and the car tried to steer me into the traffic cones on my right. I sometimes remember to disable lane assist but I often forget and I'm not too sure which is the option to disable.
My daughter picked up her new Audi EV yesterday and she was disappointed to find that it is similarly afflicted.

There’s VAG dealers will permanently disable this for her for a fee, I’ve seen their videos online.
Or buy a VAG OBD11 herself.
She is fortunate she’s not stuck with it, she has options.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 512 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back