Portable petrol generator to make it into a plug in hybrid

MG4London

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I remember the BMW I3 had a little tiny lawn mower engine to charge the battery.

As a range extender just to have that option.

I know it would be extremely slow just like a granny charger you would have to leave it on over night.

It would be great to have that option something like this

Last edited:
I remember the BMW I3 had a little tiny lawn mower engine to charge the battery.

As a range extender just to have that option.

I know it would be extremely slow just like a granny charger you would have to leave it on over night.

It would be great to have that option something like this
BMW dropped the concept at the first opportunity and no one has tried since. With a range of over 200 miles the requirement has gone for ever.

Except for the new Mazda MX30 that is...

The Mazda Rotary Range Extender is Years in the Making

The new powertrain utilizes an electric motor with a rotary engine as a generator. The result is an estimated 53 miles of pure electric range before the rotary engine kicks in to generate electricity and extend the total driving range to over 400 miles.
-

All EVs could do this with a small petrol generator in the boot. Makes a standard range into a super extended range

Attachments

• 25B2D6DA-7E61-48B1-92D5-839C074E3148.png
    25B2D6DA-7E61-48B1-92D5-839C074E3148.png
    1 MB · Views: 66
In a survival situation a portable range extender generator would be very useful especially if it would be multi fuel.

You may be able to come across all kinds of petrol or propane

Maybe even from abandoned vehicles or things

I fancy the idea of adding a dc-dc charger from a lithium battery in the boot coupled to the cars 12v battery to help take the load off the HV battery.

A 100ah lifepo4 battery can provide an extra kwh of 12v power.

I'd be curious to do that for a day and measure how much energy it uses.

This MX30 R-EV overcomes one issue...range on the 30.5 usable battery was around 100 - 120 miles so this solves that whist reducing the pure EV range to around 53 miles.

It does not solve the other main issue. Rear passenger space and entry through suicide doors to get there in the first place. You have to have the front doors open to open the back doors which is a bit of a song and dance if anything is parked next to you on both sides. Plus the back doors have non openable windows. And let's not forget the lack of b pillar means a large latch, where the pillar should be, for rear passengers to bang their foreheads on in the way in.

Great quality and excellent drive but flawed as a package imo having owned one.

Last edited:
I wonder how the cost would compare to charge your MG4 with a portable generator compared to charging at home?

The Mazda Rotary Range Extender is Years in the Making

The new powertrain utilizes an electric motor with a rotary engine as a generator. The result is an estimated 53 miles of pure electric range before the rotary engine kicks in to generate electricity and extend the total driving range to over 400 miles.
-

All EVs could do this with a small petrol generator in the boot. Makes a standard range into a super extended range
Isn't this what we call a Hybrid? or PHEV?

True , you could save the donkeys for the night time , or , and this could be a bit controversial now NMC batteries are being replaced by LFP there is a ready made human resource going to waste because less cobalt is required , unless the owners of the daily mail get in first for a cheap supply of paper girls and boys.

Isn't this what we call a Hybrid? or PHEV?
Most hybrids are mostly ICE powered with a bit of an electric motor as well. Like 75% ICE 25% EV aprox

The BMW I3 is an example of an electric car with a bit of an ICE motor as well. Say 75% EV 25% ICE.

I wonder if there has been an example of 50/50?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back