Possible MG4 owner

I currently have a Nissan Quashqai Tekna which is fully loaded, I have got used to blind spot monitoring and what they call Pro Pilot which is adaptive cruise combined with lane keeping assist, reversing camera and all round camera which is handy. It’s also got a HUD.

This is why I am pushed towards the Trophy, also I drive to my Sons 4/5 times a year which is 285 miles away. But in real world range if I have to stop and charge anyway I was also thinking the faster SE might be a nice option. If I pruned all the gadgets down it’s blind spot monitoring I would really miss now I’ve got used to it so it’s turning into a minor dilemma 😂

That said I test drove the SE and it was fantastic, I am waiting for either the dual motor or extended range, with the dual motor that depends on price and the extended range on performance. Now I read here that the LR (and presumable extended range) has charging limits to 80%, it’s all a bit confusing to me 😂

I've had my Trophy around a month now. No issues or problems to report, at all really. I genuinely love driving it, it's comfortable, quiet and smooth, and cheap to run as a bonus. Overall with not particularly economic driving, I've done around 800 miles with an average of 3.5miles/kWh.

It hasn't been particularly cold since I had the car, range is showing between 250 and 290 miles with 100% battery. Turning off intelligent battery heating (above 4°C) seems to massively improve efficiency as it doesn't need it.

There are some quirks between SE and Trophy like USB Music not showing folders on the SE (only PLAY ALL) but trophy does allow folder playlists, although it defaults to play all at every startup. Trophy owners can also turn off AutoLock, the locking of all doors from the outside once you've set off, SE don't have the option, always on.

Added bonus of the trophy over SE is the 360 bird eye view camera which makes parallel parking or parking in general super easy. Electric folding mirrors, heated seats. Heated steering wheel is amazing.

It does drive amazingly well, and is quicker to 60 than the manufacturer stated, Its been timed at 7.2 I believe - YT.

There are some quirks and foibles which also seem to depend on the infotainment version, particularly with Trophy, which you'll see on this forum.

All in all, it's a very good car, you won't be disappointed.

Now I read here that the LR (and presumable extended range) has charging limits to 80%, it’s all a bit confusing to me 😂
No confusion. Charge to 80% for day to day usage but once a month or before going on a long journey charge to 100%. Simples 😁

Trophy owners can also turn off AutoLock, the locking of all doors from the outside once you've set off,
I didn't know that. Where is the setting to turn off auto-lock?

I didn't know that. Where is the setting to turn off auto-lock?

Car settings, Convenience, Auto Door lock

IMG_20230503_151914.jpg

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a new car and i really like the MG4. Cheapest than other options even new combustion vehicles and looks very very nice. I've watched countless reviews and they all basically said good things about it. So i thought I'd check out it's forums. Couple of questions please if you don't mind :)

Are you still liking your car?
Did you encounter any problems with it?
Do you recommend it?
I'm interested in the Trophy for the extra features and spoiler but it's slower then the SE, is the Trophy still quick and fun to drive?
Is the battery still at it's optimum or did it loose a bit of miles?

Thank you for your time :)

I rejected my 4 SE, but..anyway… 😂
The SE being appealing I get, it’s still reasonably priced (just pray you get a good one)
The trophy is a whole different matter, it’s very close in price to much more established (and I would say absolutely better) EVs, especially nearly new.
Someone here recently posted a list of nearly new (2022) EVs they found on autotrader for Trophy money and it was some serious vehicles.
The pick, for me, was a Cupra Born V3 with the 77kw battery.
That’s a fully loaded car, much better built than the 4, with a huge battery.

You will see on the forum I have had numerous issues and still think the car is a fantastic drive and love driving it. Can't beat the price and what you get. Yes there are problems like all cars and most are down to MG not having the support for the dealer network. To be honest I ask myself a question, would I buy this car again knowing the issue I have experienced. Answer is always yes, the car is brilliant it's that simple. Styling and features.

I currently have a Nissan Quashqai Tekna which is fully loaded, I have got used to blind spot monitoring and what they call Pro Pilot which is adaptive cruise combined with lane keeping assist, reversing camera and all round camera which is handy. It’s also got a HUD.

This is why I am pushed towards the Trophy, also I drive to my Sons 4/5 times a year which is 285 miles away. But in real world range if I have to stop and charge anyway I was also thinking the faster SE might be a nice option. If I pruned all the gadgets down it’s blind spot monitoring I would really miss now I’ve got used to it so it’s turning into a minor dilemma 😂

That said I test drove the SE and it was fantastic, I am waiting for either the dual motor or extended range, with the dual motor that depends on price and the extended range on performance. Now I read here that the LR (and presumable extended range) has charging limits to 80%, it’s all a bit confusing to me 😂
There is no 80% limit, merely a recommendation to normally charge to 80% unless you are undertaking a long journey. 100% charges will not harm the LR unless very frequent and 4/5 times a year is no problem at all.

You need to factor in:
  • You won't get the WLTP quoted range with either car, except possibly in the height of summer and if you drive slowly.
  • Range will decrease 30% in winter.

In the real world, the LR should give you 200 miles in winter, 250 in summer. The SR will offer similarly less than quoted.

How you drive makes a huge difference to range, so another thing to consider is whether you are willing to drop your speed, cut AC and take longer over your long journeys to get there or whether you want the range to not have to worry about it.

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a new car and i really like the MG4. Cheapest than other options even new combustion vehicles and looks very very nice. I've watched countless reviews and they all basically said good things about it. So i thought I'd check out it's forums. Couple of questions please if you don't mind :)

Are you still liking your car?
Did you encounter any problems with it?
Do you recommend it?
I'm interested in the Trophy for the extra features and spoiler but it's slower then the SE, is the Trophy still quick and fun to drive?
Is the battery still at it's optimum or did it loose a bit of miles?

Thank you for your time :)
I have a white Trophy being delivered two weeks today. Can't comment on the car yet but I used New Car Discounts to buy mine after seeing it on another thread in this forum:

Great experience so far and £2.5k cheaper than a dealer!

I've had my Trophy around a month now. No issues or problems to report, at all really. I genuinely love driving it, it's comfortable, quiet and smooth, and cheap to run as a bonus. Overall with not particularly economic driving, I've done around 800 miles with an average of 3.5miles/kWh.

It hasn't been particularly cold since I had the car, range is showing between 250 and 290 miles with 100% battery. Turning off intelligent battery heating (above 4°C) seems to massively improve efficiency as it doesn't need it.

There are some quirks between SE and Trophy like USB Music not showing folders on the SE (only PLAY ALL) but trophy does allow folder playlists, although it defaults to play all at every startup. Trophy owners can also turn off AutoLock, the locking of all doors from the outside once you've set off, SE don't have the option, always on.

Added bonus of the trophy over SE is the 360 bird eye view camera which makes parallel parking or parking in general super easy. Electric folding mirrors, heated seats. Heated steering wheel is amazing.

It does drive amazingly well, and is quicker to 60 than the manufacturer stated, Its been timed at 7.2 I believe - YT.

There are some quirks and foibles which also seem to depend on the infotainment version, particularly with Trophy, which you'll see on this forum.

All in all, it's a very good car, you won't be disappointed.
Thank you!

What realistic range are you getting in the cold?
I've only had mine for 3 weeks but I love the trophy. The drive is sensational. This is my first EV and the way it glides along trumps the small niggles that often crop up on forums.

Just be mindful that using heating and cold weather has a big impact on range, almost 30%. Optimum battery range seems to be kicking in now with the warmer weather and it will be really interesting to see the range fellow owners here in the UK get as I think this will be the first full summer experienced with the mg4.
In my trophy i'm getting between 220-240 depending on the usage of climate control when charged to 100% and put everything on eco mode.

Must admit for long journeys I am having to get used to trying not to use the climate control where possible - it will be interesting to see the impact once we're in the heatwave period again.

I have a white Trophy being delivered two weeks today. Can't comment on the car yet but I used New Car Discounts to buy mine after seeing it on another thread in this forum:

Great experience so far and £2.5k cheaper than a dealer!
You have to be careful with these “discount” firms. I got £3k discount through Carwow for a Peugot 2008, I use PCP but when I got to the dealer the monthly payments were the same as the non discounted version. I scratched my head then realised the APR was much higher on the discounted car 😂

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back