Possible MG4 owner

Nitro

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a new car and i really like the MG4. Cheapest than other options even new combustion vehicles and looks very very nice. I've watched countless reviews and they all basically said good things about it. So i thought I'd check out it's forums. Couple of questions please if you don't mind :)

Are you still liking your car?
Did you encounter any problems with it?
Do you recommend it?
I'm interested in the Trophy for the extra features and spoiler but it's slower then the SE, is the Trophy still quick and fun to drive?
Is the battery still at it's optimum or did it loose a bit of miles?

Thank you for your time :)

Can ‘o’ worms could be opened here!

In my experience all good so far.
Love the car.
There are niggles, all software related, in my case the radio can just stop and I need to pair Bluetooth each time other than that all good.
Yes.
Very quick and lots of fun!
Not noticed any losses as yet but would not expect to lose anything noticeable anyway, well not this early on.

Hi Nitro,

It is a great car.

I have had it for 6 months now. There are teething problems but nothing problematic. My local MG are good so make sure you find a good service centre. I have recommended it to all my circle.

Unless you constantly do major road trips or the extra features are really interesting to you I would recommend SE SR. My needs are just a good driving car. I don't need to carry a bigger battery for 90% of the time so I have longer range for that 10%. If you have a home charger this is never an issue. I do however miss reversing camera. Also at higher prices of the Trophy then you have more choices so MG4 may not be the slam dunk that it is for SR. BYD Dolphin is coming at around Trophy price, worth a wait.

Also I think LFP batteries is the future. You can read up on the difference. I don't know if it has lost any miles since I don't care really. I can top up LFP to 100% all the time so I don't have to worry about battery management, and life is to short for all this malarkey.

So all in all this is fantastic car. I know some people have received Lemons and that is very sad but most others are complaining because they can.

Are you still liking your car? Yes
Did you encounter any problems with it? NO
Do you recommend it? Yes
I'm interested in the Trophy for the extra features and spoiler but it's slower then the SE, is the Trophy still quick and fun to drive? Yes and you are not going to notice 0.2 of a second 0 to 60
Is the battery still at it's optimum or did it loose a bit of miles? Still at optimum

It's up to you whether you opt for the Trophy or the SE version and if you go for the short range battry but look carefully at the specifications of each model. There are some owners who didn't realise that certain options were not on the SE option which they would've liked.

Thanks for your replies.

Sogtware could be updated so they could be solved. I saw that it doesn't save certain custom selections which is a bit tedious.

Tbh apart from the spoiler, the back lights and blind spot light, the other features like lane assist and the others i don't really need them but the cameras are cool as well.

Ss for the battery, Malta is like one big city so no highways but plenty (all day long) of traffic and AC in the summer will be on full blast and if my calculations are corrext on 300 mile charge i will need to charge every like 15 days in the trophy but i do like to go a bit fast :). I'm still have to shop around first and the trophy is nearly €30k here including the government grant but since we can take a 10 year loan without interst it's doable for me. The other EVs all are around €30k but for the entry level i think but since we have a no interest loan i might find something.

Thank you for recommending it though will check it up close soon at the dealer

I agree with fshuk1. I've only had my car for three weeks but I'm extremely pleased I chose the SE SR.

Some might think that I'm one of the owners who is annoyed about things missing on the SE that I thought should be included, but I don't regret my choice over any of them. I don't like the spoiler! I don't want a satnav. I don't want a car that scolds me to look at the road every five minutes. Most of the bells and whistles on the Trophy I actively don't want.

Things I'm mildly miffed aren't there on the SE? Electrically folding wing mirrors. A USB music facility that can cope with folders. A way to stop the car locking me in, which I find claustrophobic. And, um, so far that's it. Would I pay several thousand pounds to address these issues? Not on your life.

And just to break ranks, I much prefer the SE's way of dealing with reversing warning to a camera. You get green, amber and red warnings of objects close to the rear of the car and it really works. I find the camera view hard to interpret, but the colour-coded warning arcs on the SE are brilliant.

The SR battery is a winner for me. I read all about the Trophy owners only charging to 80% for "battery health", then having to charge to 100% every so often to balance the cells, except then they have to drive it some distance because it doesn't like sitting at 100%. What a nuisance! With the SR you just charge to 100% every time, no fuss. And really, is 100% of the SR that much less than 80% of the LR?

The SR battery is reputed to be more durable and longer lived than the LR, plus it has no cobalt in it which is good if you're environmentally conscious. It's lighter than the LR battery so you get a hair better acceleration.

Unless you desperately need that extra bit of range, which quite honestly, on Malta, do you really, think seriously about the SE SR. It's the bargain of the century.

Ref. your last paragraph ... the LFP battery is heavier than the NMC battery (per kWh), but lighter overall because of the lower capacity.

The only thing I'd like on the SE (but is not critical) are front parking sensors - although the fairly short bonnet makes this less of an issue.

I agree with fshuk1. I've only had my car for three weeks but I'm extremely pleased I chose the SE SR.

Some might think that I'm one of the owners who is annoyed about things missing on the SE that I thought should be included, but I don't regret my choice over any of them. I don't like the spoiler! I don't want a satnav. I don't want a car that scolds me to look at the road every five minutes. Most of the bells and whistles on the Trophy I actively don't want.

Things I'm mildly miffed aren't there on the SE? Electrically folding wing mirrors. A USB music facility that can cope with folders. A way to stop the car locking me in, which I find claustrophobic. And, um, so far that's it. Would I pay several thousand pounds to address these issues? Not on your life.

And just to break ranks, I much prefer the SE's way of dealing with reversing warning to a camera. You get green, amber and red warnings of objects close to the rear of the car and it really works. I find the camera view hard to interpret, but the colour-coded warning arcs on the SE are brilliant.

The SR battery is a winner for me. I read all about the Trophy owners only charging to 80% for "battery health", then having to charge to 100% every so often to balance the cells, except then they have to drive it some distance because it doesn't like sitting at 100%. What a nuisance! With the SR you just charge to 100% every time, no fuss. And really, is 100% of the SR that much less than 80% of the LR?

The SR battery is reputed to be more durable and longer lived than the LR, plus it has no cobalt in it which is good if you're environmentally conscious. It's lighter than the LR battery so you get a hair better acceleration.

Unless you desperately need that extra bit of range, which quite honestly, on Malta, do you really, think seriously about the SE SR. It's the bargain of the century.
Very good points! Will take another look at the features. thank you

Love my SE SR, which I've had since the start of November. No issues and a great drive. Only things I would improve would be a bit more love for the rear: lighting and speakers.
As others have said, I don't feel the need for a larger battery, and prefer parking sensors to a camera. Though I'm not convinced by the MGs sensors, seems to miss some low-down flower pots.

Ref. your last paragraph ... the LFP battery is heavier than the NMC battery (per kWh), but lighter overall because of the lower capacity.

The only thing I'd like on the SE (but is not critical) are front parking sensors - although the fairly short bonnet makes this less of an issue.

That's what I meant. Lighter overall.

I'm not used to the short bonnet yet. I parked outside the village hall for choir practice and my passenger scolded me for not going closer to the car in front, so taking up too much space! The thing is, it doesn't give the impression of being short because the car as a whole is well proportioned.

When I went for my test drive the salesman said "of course most people go for the Trophy". When he got the message that I wasn't "most people" in that respect, his next line was "of course most people go for the long range version".

It's obvious what they're trying to sell. But honestly the simplicity of living with the SR battery is great, and for me the extra range isn't really useful. The SR is enough for 99% of my daily journeys (at least), and if I'm going a longer distance it's likely to be a lot longer so I'd have to stop to charge in any case. Once upon a time I wanted to be able to drive the length of England and well into Scotland without stopping. Now though, if I go on a longer trip, I'm happy to break the journey for a coffee and stretch my legs. And if very occasionally I need two breaks whereas the LR might only have needed one, it's not going to be an issue.

My only dilemma at the moment is how often to charge the car. I last charged it on Thursday night/Friday morning of last week. It's currently sitting on 70% charge. I have to drive about 30 miles tomorrow and about the same again on Sunday. At what point do I actually plug it in? I could do that every time I come in, but then I lose regenerative braking again. I expect I'll develop a habit, but right now it's "do I or don't I?"

I'm setting off on a long journey on Tuesday, so obviously it's going to get charged up to 100% by Tuesday morning whatever else happens.

Are you still liking your car? Yes
Did you encounter any problems with it? NO
Do you recommend it? Yes
I'm interested in the Trophy for the extra features and spoiler but it's slower then the SE, is the Trophy still quick and fun to drive? Yes and you are not going to notice 0.2 of a second 0 to 60
Is the battery still at it's optimum or did it loose a bit of miles? Still at optimum

It's up to you whether you opt for the Trophy or the SE version and if you go for the short range battry but look carefully at the specifications of each model. There are some owners who didn't realise that certain options were not on the SE option which they would've liked.
Exactly the same for me.

Love my SE SR, which I've had since the start of November. No issues and a great drive. Only things I would improve would be a bit more love for the rear: lighting and speakers.
As others have said, I don't feel the need for a larger battery, and prefer parking sensors to a camera. Though I'm not convinced by the MGs sensors, seems to miss some low-down flower pots.
Yep, be careful

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting a new car and i really like the MG4. Cheapest than other options even new combustion vehicles and looks very very nice. I've watched countless reviews and they all basically said good things about it. So i thought I'd check out it's forums. Couple of questions please if you don't mind :)

Do you recommend it?
I'm interested in the Trophy for the extra features and spoiler but it's slower then the SE, is the Trophy still quick and fun to drive?

Yes I still love the MG4 and thus far it has been rock solid reliable.
I can absolutely recommend it to you and I can not say anything bad about it.
Go for it.

Not sure it’s applicable to Malta but heated seats and steering wheel are very, very nice in the cold mornings.
i thought the 360 camera would be a bit gimmicky but found it very useful when parking.

Are you still liking your car? Yes, very much so!
Did you encounter any problems with it? Not really. Just the Autohold warning coming on after charging. It clears after locking and unlocking.
Do you recommend it? Definitely!
I'm interested in the Trophy for the extra features and spoiler but it's slower then the SE, is the Trophy still quick and fun to drive? I have the SE Long Range and it’s more than quick enough and puts a smile on my face.
Is the battery still at it's optimum or did it loose a bit of miles? Seems fine to me.

You’re welcome Nitro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

Do you recommend it?

I've only had mine for 3 weeks but I love the trophy. The drive is sensational. This is my first EV and the way it glides along trumps the small niggles that often crop up on forums.

Just be mindful that using heating and cold weather has a big impact on range, almost 30%. Optimum battery range seems to be kicking in now with the warmer weather and it will be really interesting to see the range fellow owners here in the UK get as I think this will be the first full summer experienced with the mg4.

Temperatures are really looking up now. My car was 25C interior just sitting outside today. I've invited myself to stay with a friend who lives nearly 200 miles away next week, purely so I can drive there down the M6! The local council there has kindly installed type 2 chargers right in front of her house, too. (Although at a price!)

I've only had mine for 3 weeks but I love the trophy. The drive is sensational. This is my first EV and the way it glides along trumps the small niggles that often crop up on forums.

Just be mindful that using heating and cold weather has a big impact on range, almost 30%. Optimum battery range seems to be kicking in now with the warmer weather and it will be really interesting to see the range fellow owners here in the UK get as I think this will be the first full summer experienced with the mg4.
What realistic range are you getting in the cold?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back